D/E Submariners Reunion Plymouth 04/08/07

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Nutty, Jun 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. To all you Dieselosourouses out there a friend (Janner) has forwarded me this letter about the D/E Submariners Reunion this year. Unfortunately I am unable to return from Spain for this event having finally obtained Permission to go to Guzz in October for my Ganges Mess Reunion and the SA Reunion in Coventry the following week-end.

If you are interested call the Ken Woods who wrote the letter copy below.

Ref: REUN/17 8 Greenwood Park Road
    Tel: 01752 341685 Chaddlewood
    [email protected] Plymouth Devon PL7 2WE

March 2007

DIESEL BOAT SUBMARINERS 1960 - 1997

17th Annual Reunion

We had another good turn out last year, not quite near our record but all the same you gave great support to the 16th Reunion. Last year 399 were notified, on the day 201 checked in, 34 informed me they would be attending but unfortunately couldn’t make it, 19 of those paid for food and I received 61 apologies. I’m pleased to report 28 new members have been added, making a huge total of 427, so thank you for all the networking you are doing. The DTS is ticking over quite nicely and I’ve had no reports of anyone passing over the bar.

A large number of people (103) didn’t bother to reply to my letter or email. I’ve been asked by a few members to give people a second chance to make contact, so I’ve agreed to this request for this year only and decided to leave them on the database. If they’re still not interested this year then I will delete them off. I’m sure you’ll agree there’s absolutely no point sending out emails and letters if they don’t bother to send a reply. This year, only new members will be added to my database. On a more the positive note, we still have nearly 300 active members which looks good for 2011 (our 21st). I’m already planning something special for that day so if you want an invite please stay in contact.

The girls on the ‘check in desk’ informed me that a few members walked straight past them last year without registering their attendance. When entering the venue please ‘check in’ to make sure you are kept on the database.

I think it’s time to say a big thank you to Terry Humphreys. For the past few years Terry armed with his bucket collects your small change to show our appreciation to the bar staff who go that extra mile for us. They are all volunteers and love being part of our day and always say there isn’t anything quite like it and enjoy the day just as much as we do. Also my thanks go to Pusser Hill for purchasing the present for the Club.

I have a request from Barry Alford a founder member of our reunion. Barry who is now single since the tragic loss of his wife, has asked me to mention that maybe some of you are single and in a similar situation. If you would like to join him for a ‘get together holiday’, at sometime, somewhere, please contact him at the following address. Hunky Dory, 15 Launceston Road, Bodmin, PL31 2AL. Barry is not on email.

I still have £162.21 in the fund, so for this year I’ve decided once again not to charge the £1 entrance fee. There are not many places you can get in for free these days, so come along this year and join us.

Once again the staff at the club dressed up for us last year in French Maid costumes to the delight of all of us. They plan something special this year, so watch out lads!! They always give us such good service it’s a pleasure to hold our reunion in such a great friendly establishment. The staff asked me to say a big ‘thank you' for your tips, they were overwhelmed once again by your generosity. For all these reasons, the 17th Annual ‘DTS’ will once again be held at the W.M.O.V. Social Club, Ferndale Rd, Plymouth (Nr Camels Head Fire Station) on Saturday 4th August, starting at 1115 to 2359.

A buffet lunch will be available on request at a cost of £4 per head, booked and paid for in advance. For those who require food, it will be necessary to forward a cheque for the sum of £4.00 made payable to Mr K. J. Woods.

Please continue to contact me if you know of any ex-Diesel Boat Submariners who are unaware of our reunion but would like to attend, contact me with his name and address and I will ensure he receives a letter.

Finally I look forward to hearing from you all again. If this is the first time you have received a newsletter, may I say “WELCOME†to our Reunion.

We have one of the largest memberships for any reunion in the UK, so please don’t get complacent, come and join us in August and show your support.

Yours aye
    Ken ‘slinger’ Woods

Programme
    Please do not arrive before 1115

1115 Start CHECK IN
    1130 Bar Open
    1400 Welcome Speech.
    1415 Buffet available.
    1900 Lounge Bar closed.
    1900 - 2359 Main Bar and Entertainment Lounge.

Delete as necessary

I..............................................................will / will not be attending the 17th Annual Reunion on Saturday 4th August 2007.

I will / will not require food and enclose a cheque to the value of £4.00
    My address ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..Post Code…………………..
    Email………………………………………………………………………………………….
    Date.....................................Signature..............................................................................

2. Hey Nutty - do I actually spot a single man listed there ????

:hump:

3. Possibly a bit old for you G-R as he was a founder member and they have had 17 reunions he may not be up to your games.

Nutty

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

They'll all be single on the day G_R :whew:

5. I'll be there. An excellent run - as it always is.

6. I`m gonna give it a go….perhaps make a weekend of it……

I`ll be easy to spot……I`m the one with the grey beard and the dolphins on my blazer…..

7. Male or Female?