D-Day GIs 'raped and killed their French allies while US army generals turned a blind

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SJRM_RN, Aug 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. D-Day GIs 'raped and killed their French allies while US army generals turned a blind eye'

FROM The Longest Day to Saving Private Ryan, the D-Day landings cornered the market in cinematic heroics with "might and right" rolling the Nazis back to Berlin.
    In true life, Europe was indeed saved by a tidal wave of courage and bravery that ensured freedom for generations but part of the horrific aftermath has remained buried by a mountain of sugar-coated Hollywood scripts.

D-Day GIs 'raped and killed their French allies while US army generals turned a blind eye' | World | News | Daily Express
    (Source: The Express)

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Mod Note: Some housekeeping done, appropriate to the CA rules. If you want to make jokes (!!) about sexual abuse, feel free to start an [in]appropriate thread in Lil's or The Gash Barge.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

On the subject of the Falklands, livestock aside, I vividly recall hearing word from ashore that some Argentine POWs were executed when it was thought they were US mercenaries.

Whether true or false I've no idea, but the fact remains the rumour was relayed from ashore around about the time a Para was allegedly shot at whilst going forward to accept an Argentine

surrender at Goose Green.

Whether these stories are fact or fiction is difficult to determine, but a euphoric spontanious and consenting event during liberation nearly 70 years ago, possibly resulting in pregnancy, seems to have taken even longer to come to light than Stuart Hall's nefarious deeds.

4. I know where the bodies are buried !

5. I've read 'Excursion to Hell' by Vince Bramley which was one of the books which initially brought the Yank mercenary rumour to a wider audience, likewise the follow up 'Green Eyed Boys, which also details the incident.'

From my limited understanding of the situation, I believe that it's probable that some Argy prisoners were shot outside the scope of the RoE/Geneva Convention, however this can be put down to the high state of tension among the Paras resulting from the Goose Green incident in which H Jones was killed. I don't believe these men were American mercenaries.

In all likelihood, one or more of the prisoners was an Argentinian who had either been educated in the US or at least spoke very good English with a US accent, obviously this is incredibly common due to the popularity of US movies/culture. Given the situation, he was probably attempting to make his and his oppo's lives a bit easier, by either pretending to be American or just speaking in a language his captors could understand.

The rest is obviously history.

As for the Yanks in France, given that many many thousands of blokes went ashore on D Day, it's more than likely some of them were bastards. I'm sure it's a lot easier to get away with a crime in the carnage and chaos that followed the invasion.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

7. If it has taken Professor Mary Louise Roberts 70 years to find out what SOME soldiers do (or did), I doubt her book is worth reading.

2BM

8. Yes. Damn her for uncovering truths and putting it in the public domain.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Doubtless the Express was plugging a recently released book by using a spot of sensationalism to increase sales, but it is a topic which should not be swept aside.

As 2DD observes, in numerical terms it's statistically likely there will be rapists, sadists, murderers, paedophiles, etc., within the ranks of the combined Allied Expeditionary Force and indeed the occupying Axis forces at the time and, of course, the civil populace (Crime doesn't stop in wartime).

We've had our share of those people in the RN even today and there's only 32,000 on the trained strength, but that doesn't suggest we simply accept it. The issue was, to a large degree, what those in Command actually did or didn't do about it in co-operation with the civil authorities.

The good prof actually wrote:

"Everything" included public sex, harassment, prostitution, and rape. The information posed a direct threat to the "myth of the manly GI," says Roberts. Determined to air the French perspective, which she says has long been missing from widely read accounts of the Allied liberation of France, she began to tug on the end of this thread.
    "I started digging in more archives," she says. "I went to the police archives in Paris. I spent much time in the National Archives in Washington, D.C., looking through hundreds of boxes from SHAEF [Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force]. Men did fight heroically. What we accomplished was amazing. But I don't think we should purify it. That's when we run into trouble."

RELEASE: History professor documents GI conduct in WWII France

10. Rape and pillage have been going since man first took up the club and stones, so really nothing new on that front. Yes, there are various deviants found in any large body of men such as an Army, so again the Prof has told us nothing new. As for the Generals covering these incidents up, does any conflict stop to investigate "atrocities"? Of course it doesn't. I think there is also a hint of racism in this book, as she cites Blacks more than she does Whites, and we all know how well the yanks integrated there various Army units.

11. Interestingly and reading the except from the Express ... the issues seemed to relate to Prostitution and the fact that the GI's were a magnet for every prostitute this side of the black stump! Whether that continues for the rest of the book I don't know nor am I inclined to read it!

To my mind "sex" sells and all she is doing is jumping on the "sex" bandwagon and not coming up with any shattering revelations. I don't know how many GI's were catapulted into Western Europe on D Day - it must have been 10's of 1000's yet less than 200 trials ???? Given that most of the GI's were probably conscripted then it stands to reason that a number of them would have carried out the same crime whether they were in Cincinnatti or Le Havre!