D-Day: 6th June 1944

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by soleil, Jun 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Royal Marines Museum:

"Over 17,500 Royal Marines took part in the largest amphibious operation in history. They crewed most of the minor landing craft, manned the guns in the supporting capital ships and provided Armoured Support Groups, beach clearance and control parties and engineers. Five Royal Marines Commandos landed during the assault phase."
  2. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

My first thought was, the other 17,495 were elsewhere checkin' out their abs in the mirror, prior to a spot of naked roll mat fighting.

However on a more serious note, I sometimes think a little uncharitably about those who fought in the war and how they are lauded more than those who have fought insubsequent conflicts, but he Normandy Landings and so many other things that were done at that time, in the name of freedom are far beoyond anything that this generation could achieve and popular opinion would sustain. I was musing this morning that a large part of the population would probably sell their freedom cheap for personal prosperity.
    On reflection "the greatest generation" is probably no exaggeration.
  3. The trouble with that statement is history itself.
    It was widely believed in 1939 that the generation who it fell to, that needed to protect the British Empire, were not up to the job.
    There are many clips in the world at war series where the old soldiers from the first war were on record as saying as much.
    My grandfather who was a veteran of many campaigns having joined up in 1884 (age 14) and retired as depot WO1 of the Dorset reg, told my dad when the war broke out that we should all need to speak German.
    History shows us the regular army was defeated in 1940 and it was the Territorials and conscripts that finally brought victory.
    My generation extracts the urine in copious amounts from the present serving, but for all that they seem to be holding their own and doing a reasonable job.
    It is always the outgoing that decry the abilities of the next generation but they always seem to come through. IMHO.
  4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Have a heart for the BEF who might have done better if Belgium had allowed it to take up a militarily more optimum line rather than the one exclusively on Fr territory that the BEF was bowled out of. That said, my uncle's memoirs of pre-war soldiering in the RWF make me wonder how we ever won anything.
  5. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

I think I agree with you I am just shit at getting my point accross. My thoughts were that this generation would never be willing to put up a large scale commitment to total warfare that drew upon all levels of society and industry. On a one for one basis the commitment of one serviceman is always going to be equivalent (or at least potentially equivalent) to both his forebears and his decendants.

The more optimistic part of me however thinks that if the worst happened it would bring out our best and I would indeed be completely wrong.
  6. My Uncle Albert (RIP) was in the 51st Highland Infantary Division and captured by the Germans and spent the war as A POW at Stalag XX-A at Torun until early 1945 where he took part in the Long March of 450 miles to Stalag XIB/357 in a real harsh winter....a bloody nice chap he was too.