Cyprus - clarification on berths

Hi,
I'm in the process of counting up the number of countries (places) I've visited, according the 'Travellers Century Club' website, and need some clarification over the berths used by the RN in Cyprus.

During the 80's & 90's when ships were returning from Armilla Patrol they would drop off an Advance Leave Party in Cyprus to fly home from RAF Akrotiri.

My question is: Where did we get dropped off? Was it Limassol (Republic of Cyprus) or was it within the British Sovereign Base Areas?

If it's the former, I'm at 86 places, if not I'm only at 85.

P.S. I was on HMS Jupiter returning early 1986, if it helps.

skyvet

GCM
Hi Blood,

I can't give you a definite answer to your query, but as an ex-pat living in Cyprus, I could make a guess that you would have berthed in Limassol.
Occasionally we get warships of various navies coming in to Larnaca Port, but most often they anchor offshore in Larnaca Bay as opposed to berthing alongside. However, the port at Limassol is far better equipped to handle larger vessels, and given the proximity of Limassol to Akrotiri, this would be my best guess. Limassol is often in the news as being the host port for visiting navies too.
I'm not aware of any berthing facilities in the SBA, but there may well be berths that I don't know about.
Perhaps it will aid your memory if you can recall how long it took you to transfer to Akrotiri for your flight home. Assuming it was by coach, then 30-40 minutes or less would take you from Limassol to Akrotiri, whereas from Larnaca, you'd be looking at a lot longer trip, as the motorways weren't finished back in 1986.
Hope this helps ..............

guns1969

Lantern Swinger
Hi,
I'm in the process of counting up the number of countries (places) I've visited, according the 'Travellers Century Club' website, and need some clarification over the berths used by the RN in Cyprus.

During the 80's & 90's when ships were returning from Armilla Patrol they would drop off an Advance Leave Party in Cyprus to fly home from RAF Akrotiri.

My question is: Where did we get dropped off? Was it Limassol (Republic of Cyprus) or was it within the British Sovereign Base Areas?

Chances are you went to Limassol, as this is where we took the refuges from Famagusta to in 1974.

Ballistic

War Hero
Hi,

My memories are a bit vague but I seem to remember that in 1979 on Dido we tied up to a sort of long floating pontoon thing on the edge of RAF Akrotiri.
Maybe that's what you're thinking of?
I'm sure I've got a photo of it somewhere - I'll try to dig it out but it could be a while...

Latest Threads