Cyclists Obeying the Law

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by OSLO, Feb 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

While I appreciate the severity of texting while driving, and doing 45mph in a 30mph zone, the judge could have mentioned something about the cyclist shooting through a red light. Or is that too callous a thing to say?
  2. I'm with you on this one, the cyclist should have been held responsible for his own demise. Though I feel that the sentence reflected the severity of the result. Perhaps had she not been both texting and speeding the cyclist would have got away with it, as he doubtlessly had done many times in the past.
    Most cyclists seem to be under the impression that the rules of road do not apply to them.
  3. Whilst feeling appalled at the consequences of this particular case. IMOHO OSLO not callous in the slightest. I often see cyclists flouting the law of the road with apparent impunity. I believe any road user should abide by the highway code and also be required to have appropriate insurance.

4. Well I think the BBC report requires some clarification, the way I read it the car driver was texting , doing 45 mph in a 30 mph area and jumped the red lights. Then I may be wrong.

5. Now found the previous court hearing where it states the cyclist jumped the lights. Yes is should of been mentioned as even driving at 30 mph with full concentration he would be hard to avoid.

It is most common in London for the greater majority of cyclist to ignore all compulsory traffic signals and laws as well as the high way code. Many road users refer to them as the modern urban terrorists. I once arrested two cyclists for criminal damage to a M/V, in fact the car in front of me who had the temerity to Beep his horn at then whilst they rode two abreast blocking a single lane road. They decided to let him past then kicked the shit out of his car. They really could not understand what they had done and I enjoyed the overtime accrued.

6. I had an incident a few years back involving a cyclist, I was driving along a 40 road, doing around 35-40mph, a young lad (later found out to be 14) out of the blue and at some speed, shot out of a side street right into the passenger side of my vehicle, his bike took off the paint and dented the car wing.

Luckily for him he immediately got up dusted himself off but the repairs came out my own pocket as he was a young lad on a bike and not a lot I could've done claim-wise.

He was just lucky he didn't fly out a second or two earlier, I gave him a few select words just so he was a bit more careful in future.

But yes, Cyclists need to be much more vigilant on the road as they're more at risk than others I believe.
  7. I agree with you Oslo. Interestingly had the driver knocked down a pedestrian I doubt she would have received more than a slap on the wrist. Likewise when cyclists use the pavement and knock down pedetrians from behind, the police won't intervene unless the victim is hospitalised. Perhaps we need to be as tough with cyclists flouting the law as we are with motorists? :pissedoff: Where I live some cyclists (and some motorists when crossing the road, too!) appear to aim straight for you when you can hardly walk, and then shout at you for not getting out of their way. The cyclists (or their parents, in the case of minors) should have to be insured and liable to very hefty damages for knocking pedestrians down. Perhaps make them pay the hospital charges! As a sufferer from lymphoedema in both legs, any impact which causes flesh wounds on my legs always results in me needing overnight hospital treatment because of the complications. The hospital costs would therefore be substaitial.
  8. This happens all the time in Islington where I live - all you get is one or two fingers and a choice expletive !!

Certainly needs to be so in the Westminster/Pimlico area where I work - unfortunately you get the same gestures and words from some of them, even if you are crossing at the green signal !
  9. As someone who uses a bicycle as their main means of transport... I have to agree with you. It really annoys me when I'm stopped at traffic lights to see some little **** go tooling past on the pavement.

Having said that, I do occasionally ride on the pavement (Yes, I know it's illegal) but only when the alternative is being pancaked by some eejit in a white van who doesn't believe in cycle paths!
  10. I have no objection to cyclists on the pavement providing that they remember that the pedestrian has right of way. Pisses me off when cyclists ride up behind you and start ringing their bell and shouting.
  11. Don't get us started on White Van Men or London Bus Drivers or London Taxi drivers ........ :lol:
  12. If I remember correctly the pedestrian has the right of way at all times....regardless.
    In my neck of the woods the local council is spouting off how wisely they are spending the council tax (our money). They are intent on building as many cycle routes as possible.
    Why I ask myself, cyclists already have all the damn lanes they are ever going to need. The only problem is the pedestrians brazenly use them as pavements.

There exists the slight chance that having seen the cyclist coming the pedestrian can take the avoiding action needed and jump out of the way. I say slight chance because the pedestrian then has the problem of jumping one way and landing in a hedge or going the other way and bumping into a motor vehicle with two of its wheels up on the kerb.

Where are the bloody traffic wardens when you need them?
  13. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Slim, what is this bell of which you write? In Cambridge - cyclists' heaven, second only to Amsterdam - where I spend a fair amount of time the bell seems to have gone the way of front and rear lights as unnecessary accoutrements for a bicycle, which itself is believed to convey a magical immunity from vehicles, the Road Traffic Acts, fear, and all other possible impediments. It is also the custom in Cambridge that where cycling on the pavement is signed as permitted, it is thought smarter to bicycle in the road, and vice versa.
  14. Walking around in groups, covering up serviceable parking meters to fine innocent unsuspecting motorists ..... !!

15. Ah The Bells The Bells.
    Is what the errant cyclists have been consuming before venturing onto the pavements to vent their wrath on innocuous pedestrians
  16. Perhaps if I ever spot that cyclist on crutches I'll push a supermarket trolley straight at him then, when he's been knocked down shout, 'Get out the way your fcuking tosspot!'... oooo, you're the guy who hospitalised me when you knocked me down on your bike! :evil: :twisted: :) :) :)

Revenge is sweet!!! :thumright:

17. I've just checked and the rule of the road doesn't mention cyclists at all, no wonder she couldn't work out who was the give way vessel
  18. Just found this.

19. I think the term used is 'Road Users', whilst cyclists can be a major irritant,they seem blissfully happy to ride in front of a ton of metal travelling at speed and then look all aggrieved when asked if they like hospital food, as if strapping on a cycle helmet gives them some invisible force field protection device.
    My real bug bear is SKATEBOARDERS who ride on the road.
    I almost collected one as a hood ornament at 10.30pm last Tuesday, he was a goth twat, so all in black clothing as well as being daft enough to come hoofing it out of a side street (Downhill!!) at a fair rate of knots.
    Only ran over his board and laid down a good set of skid marks, (Un)luckily, went to see if he was alright and got a right mouthful, I just laughed and drove off. Called the cops when I got home and was told it's a regular event, especially once the Uni Students get back into town. Oh deep joy.
  20. I notice the relatives never mentioned that their beloved had gone through a red light either.

Cyclists (the majority) are a pain in the arse.
    At least this one got a longer ban than she did.