cycling masks

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by golden_rivet, Apr 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. pick up a bicycle today - what do you cyclists think of masks ?????

go legs go!
    :p

2. Only if the girl is really ugly

3. Having commuted in town for many years by bike I never even considered one. On the otherhand having nearly gone over several car doors and bonnets I always were a helmet, even at my age bone may mend but brains rarely do.

If you have spare cash consider the special overshoes for cycling in wet weather.

4. interesting point Peter. Can't decide about that. In five years of cycling previously I never once fell off my bike. The only car door encounter I had I slid gracefully forwards over the handlebars and slumped onto the open door - even then I didn't actually fall off. I don't know that London traffic was much less then to be honest, I think public transport is a bit better now than then but anyway ... Another thing is that I'm a very pedestrian sort of cyclist, none of this wobbly back pedalling at the front of the queue at the traffic lights for me ... so major speed isn't an issue and a reduced likelihood of sailing through the air. What would you have to do to a cyclist to make them sail through the air ? Can't quite imagine the angles in that and were that to be the case would a helmet be likely to help? You probably think I'm daft - I just know I won't wear a helmet even if I get one because I'm going to look/feel silly enough anyway at first and I don't want to add to that ...

5. Hi Rivet,

I'd go with Maxi on this one.

You may be the most careful, slow and safety conscious cyclist around, but other road users won't be - the careless driver, the chav speedster or the uninsured drunk etc.

I don't want to scare you, but even at slow speeds, a helmet could save you.

Your decision though.

6. Goldie,,,, be good and wear a helmet........ you may be a good safe rider but .. my dad always told me to drive/ ride like all esle are idjits....
    even with my mass of hair i wear a helmet..yes i did feel sily the first time i wore it but that soon wears off......... if not for yourself.. where helmet for you freinds and family .... you know what i mean.........

7. I found cornering in a S10 difficult.

8. When I restarted cycling I didn't go in for those wimpish helemts either, after all I was a roughie toughie man, but after the second prat driver opened a car door in front of me I decided I was taking no more chances, just think the first bit of you that goes over the bars is your head, the rest of your body just follows, equally remeber that whilst commuting in town there is traffic, and even if you are not moving that fast sme of the other prats are, and your sedate speed can be substantially increased when added to theirs. I have never hit anything whilst on my bike, but that is down to my levels of observation and anticipation not theirs.

Now your hair do may cost more than mine, and be more important to you but it will look a lot worse for a lot longer if your head makes contact with something hard.

Any way none of here want to lose you.

9. G-R, pse reconsider. I cycle every day and have had several bumps and bruises all caused by inattentive car drivers. My one big crash was on the Rudmore Roundabout in Portsmouth (won't be going round that again!) when I was a fast moving bonnet ornament for a few seconds before lying there in the middle of the road unable to move waiting for a 38 tonne wagon to squish me. Thankfully I was pulled to side of the road quickly but witnesses said that the first part of me body to hit the ground was my head which was thankfully encased in a helmet which was cracked and broken but rather that than my skull. Who gives a flying fcuk what you look like on a bike unless you are so vain you'd rather be in a pretty vase on the mantelpiece! Don't mean to be nasty but I'm sure RR would rather have you around than not. £25-30 will get you something decent to protect yourself and as all the others have said, if you get knocked off it won't be your fault ,but being in the right does not mean you wouldn't get hurt. As for a mask, they are a waste of time and you end up with a wet face around your mouth so unless you are in the middle of Tokyo or LA then I wouldn't bother. All the best. :)

10. GR get a helmet, it makes sense and it is not only motor vehicles you have to watch out for, as I witnessed a few weeks ago. An old dear was going to cross a road just as a bloke on a bike was passing, her stick ended up through the spokes of his front wheel and he ended up over handle bars, and he was not travelling very fast and in a residential area - lickily he was wearing a helmet. Old dear was fine though, except for complaining about 'kids' on bikes (the bloke was 50 if he was a day)

11. OK guys you've convinced me - ta for all the sensible advice - nice to know you care

cheers

GR
    x

12. Goldie I implore you to get a decent helmet. I have treated too many unnecessary head injuries because cyclists think they can go sans helmet on public roads. In Australia it is against the law not to wear one. You can be fined on the spot. Bear in mind that our roads are wider and far less congested as well, in Australia. You can pick up a decent one without spending alot. I have one the same colour as my mountain bike! Sorry have to match, I'm a girl after all :)

13. As a cyclist of some 65 years experience who still covers several thousand miles a year, and a long time member of the CTC (Cyclists Touring Club), I have never owned, nor driven, a car, still do all the household shopping on the bike, (four panniers, a bar bag, and a rear top rack will comfortably take a full supermarket load), regularly cover 50-60 miles on recreational rides (at average 12-15 mph), and do not wear a helmet.
    This is not due to any "pigheadedness" on my part, but to agreement with well founded arguments put forward by such bodies as the CTC, BMA, etc. that the case for helmets has not been proved. Helmets are in the main recommended for young children, (they tend to "fall off" occasionally and are not able to assess other road users' intentions, and to interact accordingly).
    Interesting arguments for and against the wearing of helmets can be found on the CTC website at www.ctc.org.uk, but the general consensus is in the comparison between accident figures in places where helmet wearing has been made compulsory (New Zealand, Victoria-Aus et al) and those where it has not. There even seems to be a tendency for an increase in cycling injuries where helmets are compulsory, coupled with a reduction in cycling activities.
    Every day, on our local roads , I see cyclists of all ages wearing ill fitting helmets, or wearing them incorrectly, which is far more dangerous than not wearing one at all.
    "Cyclecraft", the RoSPA recommended handbook for adult cyclists says -
    "Helmets ----- attempt only to limit the consequences of an accident. They do nothing to prevent an accident taking place; indeed, if not properly used or their limitations not appreciated, they may actually increase that risk" --- "It is a serious mistake to think that wearing a helmet is at all a substitute for learning to ride skilfully"

I always ride carefully and considerately. Hi viz clothing, well lit when required, clear and timely signals, eye contact with other road users when turning, acknowledgement of others by a thumbs up or friendly wave when giving/given way, and there is still little to beat the feeling of freedom when bimbling along happily on a bright spring morning on a carefully maintained bike.

Anyone care to join me in a "sea-to-sea" later this year?

2BM

14. 2BM.

I would certainly not question your experience or knowledge on the subject and certsainly agree that helmets do not stop accidents, and improperly worn kit can be as dangerous as not wearing kit. Now I have some 10 years less experience than you and equally have yet to have an accident, like you mainly through being sensible about how I cycle and being very aware of the potential for danger. Yes I started wearing a helmet because of near accidents that I avoided by being observant, but we are all fallible, and cyclists are very close to the bottom of the food chain when it comes to accidents, my point is that when you come up against the numptie that you cannot avoid then the helmet may help. I don't think any one above suggested helmets should be compulsory, rather that they were a sensible precaution for a rational person to take.

I can remeber when it was official plicy for example not to encourage fisherment to use life jackets and have EPIRBS on their boats because it would encourage then to take risks, on the other hand it was realised that not having such things meant the chances of survival in the event and accident does happen were zero rather than slight, especially as the response time at sea has improved so they now do have better safety aids.

I agree very strongly with your point that one should make yourself as visible as possible, be very aware of what is around you what other road users are doing and be couteous, just wearing a helmet because you want to is equally sensible.

15. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I'd like to see some info on that one 2badge as I beg to differ. I'm speaking as someone who used to do an awful lot of cross country mountainbiking racing so I think I know what I'm onabout. I've seen two horrendous crashes at speeds in excess of 25mph where the guys helmets in both instances were credited with saving their lives. In one instance, the guys helmet was split in two from the impact. He is convinced that it saved his life. And considering that he is the president of a national sports medicine association in Europe, I think he knows what he's on about.

16. Hi Peter,
    I certainly cannot disagree with your sentiments, and if you are happy and comfortable and feel more secure wearing a helmet, then that is obviously what you should do. My view is that there are those of us, and from my observations, many, mainly "of an age", that enjoy the freedom of cycling sans helmet, and who do not wish to be forced into wearing one.
    I have had visits from NZ relatives who were horrified to know that I cycle without one, but they are compelled to, we are not, and while that choice is available, I shall continue.
    As I said in my post, forceful arguments have been put forward on both sides, and though the CTC maintains an open mind on the subject, recent moves by a small number of MPs to make it compulsory (for under 16s initially, but you know how these things "just grow"- like Topsy), have brought forward cogent arguments against them, even statistics that prove they increase the likelihood of serious injury, although even I must agree that a direct kerb versus head match would undoubtably lead to 1-0 result.
    I shall therefore continue to enjoy my cycling, doing my best to avoid contests between head and kerb.

Best wishes and happy cycling,

Peter.

17. Apologies TM.
    My comments were meant to represent the views of aged, sedentary cyclists like myself who plod along on (supposedly) flat roads at a steady 12-15 mph, not the fearless souls who career down almost vertical surfaces among rocks and trees and worse at hair raising speeds. They, in my opinion, need to be clad in full body armour wrapped in a substantial mattress.

I'll dig out some info and PM you, if that's OK. Haven't mastered the technology to include it in a post.

2BM

18. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

From the British Medical Journal

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/321/7268/1035

Here is a story that proves the BMA are in favour of helmets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3563671.stm

2 Badge,

I've looked at the CTC website,

http://www.ctc.org.uk/?TabID=3910

and to be honest, their argument is pretty poor and seems to be based on the laws of probability and the chance of being injured on bikes compared to other forms of transport which is quite worrying. I'm basing my arguments on fact and experience. You ask any person who race on bikes and they'll tell you the same as me.

Obviously, as you say, wearing body armour as a lot of Downhillers do may save you from a bruising however all the most advanced protective wear in the world won't save you when you get knocked down by a truck. But I'm very concerned that the CTC have adopted that particular line of argument...

And as said previous, I know for a fact that they've grossly underestimated the capability and effectiveness of helmet protection at speed. Granted, my mate did look a mess when he used his face as a brake, but the helmet is what absorbed the majority of the energy at the time of impact.

19. TM
    Haven't had time to read all your refs yet, but will do so later.
    Can I please reiterate my former point - I do not disagree with you regarding road racing/cross country/offroad - or any other what could be considered risky sports, they should wear appropriate protective clothing.
    My comments refer only to urban cyclists, Joe Bloggs doing his/her shopping, the laden cycle-tourist, the weekend leisure cyclist, and those of their ilk. It would be interesting to read accident/injury statistics which exclude the adventure cyclists, but I doubt anyone has ever thought of separating them. My previous comments are also mainly directed at those who would make the wearing of helmets compulsory, although perhaps I didn't make that clear enough in my first post.

2BM