Cycle train/hippy bastards - angry rants & advice welcome

Discussion in 'Travel & The Great Outdoors' started by wanabedoc, Mar 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Driving down the dual carriage way (40mph limit) that leads to Sussex University/hippy PJHQ, I have been inconvenienced twice this week by an annoyance that calls itself the cycle train. A group of about 20-25 dreadlocked cyclists were cycling slowly down the road together taking up the inside lane, forcing all the cars to slow down as people overtake. They wear bright yellow jackets and the rear marker has a big warning triangle road sign attached to his bike marked cycle train.

This wouldn't bother me except for the fact that there is a perfectly reasonable cycle lane running right next to them which they deliberately ignore. I believe that they use the inside lane to annoy motorists deliberately, being of a hippy motives - a phenomenon which one encounters far too often in Brighton.

I don't drive in the cycle lane and I see no reason why they should need to cycle on the carriageway.

So really, I have two questions:

1) Is it legal for them to clog up one lane when there is a cycle lane?

2) What do you think I should throw at them as I pass?

2. Re: Cycle train/hippy bastards - angry rants & advice welcom

1, No
    2, Keech

3. i find that on a rather nice sports bike (R6) if you flick the emergency engine kill switch off, rev the engine and flick the switch back on in a few seconds the explosion / burst of flame tends to put the hippy ******* in their place.....

Sorry Officer i tried to swerve from the cyclists who were in my lane and i slipped and hit the kill switch...........whoops!

Anyone for Chargrilled Hippy?

(P.s. don't do that on a fuel injected bike, carbs only!)

4. Re: Cycle train/hippy bastards - angry rants & advice welcom

I'm sure I read somewhere that if the day of the week has a 'y' in it, then it is perfectly legal, nay, encouraged to mow them down. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You could always say that the sheer mass of flourescence blinded you! :D

5. lots of nails and puncture some tyres.

6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Carry a bottle of piss at all times to throw at the twats. As annoying as people doing 70 in the middle lane of the motorway and never pulling over, even if there is not a car in sight in that lane for miles.

7. In reply to que 1
    The Highway Code
    Rules for cyclists (59-82)
    Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.
    Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white line (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable. When leaving a cycle lane check before pulling out that it is safe to do so and signal your intention clearly to other road users. Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.
    You should
    never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

In reply to que 2
    A copy of the highway code.

Perhaps a stern E-mail to the rearmost rider pointing out the error of his ways would also help relieve the stress of your prediciment.

8. Yes, but just think if they were all driving cars the traffic jam/delay would be even worse.
    Perhaps if motorists gave cyclists a little more leeway when passing, ie more than a foot between the end of the handlebars and your wing mirror, then perhaps cyclists wouldn't 'retaliate' to other road users as selfishly as this.
    No one comes out looking big or clever in this scenario.
    So your journey took an extra couple of minutes, my advice? Chill the f@#& out.

9. Re: Cycle train/hippy bastards - angry rants & advice welcom

These are students, they wouldn't be driving cars, they would be on the bus, so the benefit to traffic of them cycling is precisely piss all. In fact, they make it worse. The bus is still driving the same route.

I have cycled that route many more times than I have driven it, but when I cycle, I use the cycle lane.

10. Re: Cycle train/hippy bastards - angry rants & advice welcom

Not that it would make any difference to the arrogant, attention seeking twonks who make up bike train, why doesn’t the wonderful bloody Government make Third Party insurance mandatory for bikes? They would rather bugger around make dog insurance compulsory, though.

11. Re: Cycle train/hippy bastards - angry rants & advice welcom

You could always get an old telescopic car aerial, fix it so it sticks horizontally out of the passenger window at cyclist arse height and drive past as fast as you can and give them all a nice red stripe across their backsides.

12. Phone the cops and explain there is an obstruction on the road.

13. Before or after, Sonar Benders suggestion ?

:lol:

14. Wash your windscreen as you go by.

15. ...with bleach.

16. A couple of weeks ago, I took the scenic route home via the back lanes. For just over 3 miles I was stuck behind a pair of multicolour swopshop attired pedal power activists. Like most turbo blown diesels, mine doesn’t burn its go juice well at low load, low RPM. When I eventually found a gap to get past them, they did receive the benefit of a significant cloud of soot to spice up their conversation.