Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cyber Bullying

Rachelthree

War Hero
I guess i am looking at it the wrong way maybe. I was fairly badly bullied for a year of school by some girls i used to be friends with who because i didn't want to go along with everything they said decided to make my life hell. I would have enjoyed the option to 'turn it off' rather than look forward every day to dreading leaving the house, hearing the fun new rumours they had made up, getting ridiculed all the time simply for turning up to school. Luckily they weren't all too violent although had a few incidents- without my friends and family **** knows where i would be today, but turning that off wasn't an option in the real world.

Not that it makes 'e-bullying' less of a problem or less devastating to those involved, but you can control to an extent what you put in the mainstream for people to comment on etc. my facebook, twitter are all private so only friends can comment or pass judgement on what i post. It is sad that less moderated sites such as ask.fm which is the site responsible for the death of that beautiful girl with her life ahead of her allow annonymity as this is a precursor for some people to post absolutely fowl things designed to upset, devestate and shatter someones confidence. It wasnt designed for this purpose of course, but people in charge of these sites need to be quicker to respond in the first instance rather than wait for a trail of tragedys before they put anything in place. Making it harder to register for these sites in that there are additional verifications to check people are the correct age, people have to post under their real names (which will no doubt deter many cowardly bullies) and perhaps a filter which by proxy does not send certain phrases or words ie 'kill yourself'. The internet on one hand is an amazing tool, but for teens and adults alike it can also be negative.

Unfortunately my nickname is nothing to do with the size of my gentalia, the real tale is far worse so i shall leave that page closed :D

Grim_Squeaker85

Lantern Swinger
Ultimately the only real answer is that if you don't like what a person is saying to you online is to press that little 'x' to close the website tab.

Greatest pleasure was gained from once running into the obnoxious twat who pushed me around at primary school much later in life.

Have to admit, I Tend to be quite non-online these days. Apart from here and Skype to keep in touch with people back down south I don't really use the net
All that much.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

Grim_Squeaker85

Lantern Swinger
No, it's to stop those being a bully from doing it. If necessary by banning them, not the recipient.

Yes but let's face it, that's not going to happen on the whole. It's almost as futile as telling the school you are being bullied by class mates.

Now don't imagine for a second that I despise such things any less than you but it's ultimately going to be a futile effort.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
So, the answer is active moderation and parental control. Most of these websites can afford to implement human, automated or hybrid solutions, the technology exists but it will affect their P&L.Above all, I'd suggest parental control and a sense of responsibility is key.

Yes but let's face it, that's not going to happen on the whole. It's almost as futile as telling the school you are being bullied by class mates.

Now don't imagine for a second that I despise such things any less than you but it's ultimately going to be a futile effort.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if you tell a school that you're being bullied they'll do something about it. Will it be perfect - no. Will it do something - yes. As WD said, it's about active and appropriate moderation.

Sharkey

Banned
My grandaughter is a phone zombie and on the rare occasion she remembers I'm in the room I get told so and so said this and whatsherface said this so, I said that, and sometimes I say maybe thats not what was meant, cos there is no inflection in a text and you cant see the expression on peoples faces on the phone, I was deemed to be being abusive on here recently, which wasnt the case just misinterpretation of what I posted, now had I the anonymity of some other sites and had been of the mind, I may have seen the complaint as an opening to become abusive and given the right response escalate it, then I'm pretty sure some other like minded soul would have joined in, and for the trolls and bullies its game on.

Last edited:

Taloolah

Banned
BBC News - Hannah Smith death: Ask.fm 'to help police inquiry'#

The above link is just the latest case to make the headlines but there have been plenty more like people moaning they've been targeted on twitter and other social media.
While I have no time at all for so-called Trolls and sympathy for their targets I am baffled as to why the situation gets to the point such as the death of the girl in the link. We frequently hear a statement such as "they'd been the subject of on-line bullying for months".
So here are my questions, why if you are getting bad tweets from sad trolls why do you keep your account open. Why not shut it down and get and with your life "twitterless". You survived before twitter was invented you'll survive without it. Secondly if you are using a website which you end up being on the wrong end of abuse why keep returning week after week until you reach the point of depression as surely the obvious course of action is to take your business elsewhere before it reaches that stage.
I am clueless as to why people persist doing things that are making them unhappy sometimes to the point of tragedy. Anyone out there think they can explain it?

Yes. The young in particular (those born into the Age of the Internet), know of no other world where instant twittering, Facebooking or simply texting did not exist. To expect them to spend a single day unable to be instantly contactable at any time is simply inconceivable to them.More worryingly, their whole identity is wrapped up in this bullshit.

An entire marketing industry has grown up that plays on insecurity - if you aren't at the cutting edge of the latest mobile phone gadget or keeping up with your mates, you drop off the social radar and hence lose 'cred'.

It's utter bollocks to those of us old enough to remember life pre-Internet (thank God) or mobile phones, but very worrying a trait for the younger generation.They don't even know when it's happening.

I had a year 8 class last year, well known in the school for being little horrors who would never sit still. One day, timetables changed and with it, out went the usual computer reading programme hour they had.

I had the bright idea:eek:mg: that maybe they could silently read a book instead of a computer programme for a whole 20 minutes followed by group word/literacy card games which promoted much-needed social skills.

The entire staffroom either looked at me in disbelief or collapsed laughing - 'As if' being the general opinion.

Next class-I insisted on silence for 20 minutes while they and I read silently. At the end of this short period of time, not only did I have kids asking to continue, but also, 'Could we do this next week, please, Miss ?'

Bottom line, it was the only 20 minutes in their entire week they got to sit still and be quiet.The effect on them was amazing.They left the classroom calmer and less manic than at any other time and the next week needed no reminding to get a book and read.

The western world is losing the power of silence and stillness while we are bombarded with loud, E-number, brainless style programmes, technology and information sold in a package that leeches kids self-esteem.

The solution is not censoring technology. It's getting kids to think about who they really are, what really matters and to be able to tap into the reserve inside themselves. You can't do that with constant noise.

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Next class-I insisted on silence for 20 minutes while they and I read silently. At the end of this short period of time, not only did I have kids asking to continue, but also, 'Could we do this next week, please, Miss ?'

Have I perhaps skipped a page or two previously, or are we talking transgender thingymebob squeaky-voice here, shipmate?

Confused of Munchausen.

fishhead

War Hero
Many thanks to all the posters who have tried to shed a little light on this situation. I'm still having trouble comparing direct bullying by people you know where absenting yourself is difficult not to say impossible if you're on a ship at sea with getting disparaging remarks anonymously on a website where checking out is a very real option. Then again I am many years away from being a hormonal teenager so I am unlikely ever to fully understand.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Many thanks to all the posters who have tried to shed a little light on this situation. I'm still having trouble comparing direct bullying by people you know where absenting yourself is difficult not to say impossible if you're on a ship at sea with getting disparaging remarks anonymously on a website where checking out is a very real option. Then again I am many years away from being a hormonal teenager so I am unlikely ever to fully understand.
Happy to help, big nose.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Exciting roles at Dstl as part of the new National Cyber Force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New telecoms security law to protect UK from cyber threats MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Academy Seminar: Responding to the ever changing world of cyber crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS National Cyber Force Transforms country's cyber capabilities to protect UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK enforces new sanctions against Russia for cyber attack on German parliament MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK exposes series of Russian cyber attacks against Olympic and Paralympic Games MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Singapore International Cyber Week: Adapting to the new normal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK warns of Chinese global cyber attacks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding boost to help healthcare suppliers improve cyber security MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary welcomes first EU sanctions against malicious cyber actors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK reiterates concern over global cyber attacks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK condemns Russian Intelligence Services over vaccine cyber attacks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces announce launch of first Cyber Regiment in major modernisation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK condemns cyber actors seeking to benefit from global coronavirus pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New virtual cyber school gives teens chance to try out as cyber security agents from home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1m innovation funding to predict and counter cyber attacks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK condemns Russia's GRU over Georgia cyber-attacks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK’s booming cyber security sector worth £8.3 billion MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Maritime minister undertakes future of shipping industry tour, as ports cyber security guidance is updated MoD News 0
Dusty70 Cyber Community The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS Cyber training programme up for national award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for evidence launched on improving cyber security across the UK economy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Confronting cyber threats to businesses and personal data MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cyber secure: the benefits of secure by default MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New boost to increase diversity in nation’s cyber security industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Feasibility funding for autonomous vehicle cyber security MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Global businesses – including Google and Microsoft – back UK to block cyber threats with new tech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA launches Predictive Cyber Analytics Phase 2 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Record number of schoolgirls make digital waves but women still under-represented in the cyber security sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Foreign Secretary speech at the NATO cyber pledge conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Cyber innovation at the forefront of UK’s approach to modern warfare MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government and tech industry collaborate to improve cyber security of IoT devices MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Cyber criminals face new EU sanctions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Alert for charities – cyber crime and how to report to the Charity Commission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Liam Fox appoints security expert to champion British cyber firms overseas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl launches new game to recruit brightest minds for cyber work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Predictive Cyber Analytics Collaboration Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Businesses and charities urged to take action to prevent cyber attacks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Science Minister announces funding for cyber security and screen entertainment projects in Bristol MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: "Deterrence in the Cyber Age" speech by the Foreign Secretary MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK Boards of biggest firms must do more to be cyber aware MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Cyber security: funding to take academic ideas to market MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improve cyber security in the Internet of Things: apply for funds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: 'Designing out' cyber threats to businesses and personal data MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New funding will help drive diversity in cyber security MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New strategy sets ambitions for a cyber security workforce fit for the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK and allies reveal global scale of Chinese cyber campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New cyber security standard for self-driving vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Successful cyber security relies on strength of our partnerships MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Search to find Cyber Security experts of the future MoD News 0