Cutty Sark

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Seaweed, Feb 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

2. Watched the excellent programme last night, what a fantastic job they have done on her since the fire the Ship is without doubt a thing of beauty.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Could not agree more. It was a superb program and was astounded by the engineering feat of lifting her up
  4. As I said to my wife............they don't make 'em like that anymore ! :slow:
  5. Aye, you could say that she is a real Dumbarton Debutante.
  6. Wot !... my wife or the Cutty Sark ?

7. The Cutty Sark Flags, were you lucky enough to marry a Scots lass?
  8. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

I know someone who's working on restoring her (re-rigging her mainly), a major feat of engineering and patience from what I can gather.

She'll be just as beautiful as she once was, I'm sure.
  9. No, we're both from, financially speaking, we have something in common. We look after 't brass. ^~
  10. Whilst a fascinating programme, particularly interested in the way the rigging was preserved.

Unfortunately they wimped out on the extra funding provided after the fire. They "forgot" to ask why the ship had not been properly insured (with something like £6 million pound having to be found for this error. And they also did not explain why an additional £5m had to suddenly become necessary (although there were moans prior to the fire that the design/management of the project had been inadequate (any proof ?). And, of course, the programme didn't explain why, or how, the Heritage Fund suddenly found the extra £11m.

At least when it came to Lord Sterling's intervention (nominally about the "newly" revealed problems of he dry dock) the programme was a little more forthcoming, even if it meant a lot more public money.

NOT a very good advert for public accountability.
  11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Nor anything about how the fire took hold so without being discovered.
  12. I apologise for meandering.

Salt of the earth Yorkshire folk. When my Dad was discharged from the Gordon Highlanders after the war he went down to York to do his teachers training, we moved down from the land of oatcakes and whisky when he had finished his training, living in Sherburn-in-Elmet, Heslington then into York. I have always thought that the people have more in common with the Scots than the English southerners.
  13. Tykes motto...........hear all, see all, say nowt...... eat all, sup all, pay nowt..............and if tha' does owt for nowt, allus do it fo' thysen ! :eek:ccasion5:
  14. Now then, do you mean Cutty Sark or Flagdeck's wife? Why is life so confusing?
    • Like Like x 1