Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutty Sark saved by private donation by Israeli citizen

Jack77

War Hero
Romanian born, served in the RN in WWII, then an Israeli who now lives in Monaco.... now that would be an interesting story!

BZ to the man for his gift though! I will always consider myself fortunate to have seen Cutty Sark before the fire. With the best will in the world, I don't think it could be restored to exactly the same condition.

pg55555

Lantern Swinger
Something very odd about the Cutty Sark fire - although not publicised it would SEEM that all the fire damage is having to be covered by new donations, i.e. that the renovation work (and fire there arising) was not properly insured.

IF THIS IS THE CASE, then someone should be hung, drawn and quartered (or maybe more appropriately keel-hauled) as charity money (Heritage Fund and this latest gift) which could have been used for proper "charitable purposes" have been wasted covering someone's cock-up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stirling Cutty Sark Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
Seaweed Cutty Sark Current Affairs 14
sgtpepperband BBC News: "Prince Phillip to see Cutty Sark restoration" Current Affairs 18
angry_mac cutty sark arsonist spotted Diamond Lil's 3
A Cutty Sark on fire! History 36
MoD_RSS Culturally significant sculpture Death of Cleopatra saved from export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 588 more arts organisations saved by £76 million in latest Culture Recovery Fund grants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 445 heritage organisations saved by £103 million investment from Government MoD News 0
C Saved post drafts Site Issues 6
MoD_RSS Grassroots Music venues to be saved by government cash MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thousands of hours in delays to be saved as UK’s first mainline digital railway introduced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thousands sign up to Help to Save to earn 50p for every £1 saved MoD News 0
MoD_RSS “HS2 saved our wedding!” MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Much-loved coastal heritage assets to be saved with almost £1 million of Coastal Revival Fund MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Thousands of fish saved from salt water during tidal surge MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Nomination for Coastguard Rescue Teams who saved a life on St Kilda MoD News 0
soleil Express: "Royal Marines Cuts U-Turn: 1,500 Troops And Assault Vessels Saved" The Corps 9
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister announces £3M to be saved as part of a new deal to supply the... MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER 'Saved' White House turkey defects to ISIS Miscellaneous 3
soleil Pomepy News: "Praise For Navy Brothers Who Saved Woman's Life" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Pompey News: "Award For Policewoman Who Saved Royal Navy Sailor" Bases / Shore Est 2
soleil Sunday Telegraph: "How WW1 Sailor Saved His Life By Laying It Down For A Friend" History 1
MoD_RSS News story: Wounded officer and medic who saved him both awarded MC MoD News 1
trelawney126 Saved by our gallant boys in Crabfat Blue Diamond Lil's 6
soleil Western Morning News: "Commendation For Officer Who Saved Man's Life" Bases / Shore Est 0
tentoes Oh the hours I could have saved, had I known. The Corps 3
T HMS Caroline may yet be saved Current Affairs 0
soleil Sun: "Ark To Be Saved For Gibraltar" The Fleet 1
thereverend Just saved £51.40 Diamond Lil's 29
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Mayday! Saved by Royal Navy Current Affairs 7
soleil "Supporters' joy as HMS Victory's future is saved" Bases / Shore Est 16
RonJeremy Dwarf saved by chihuahua Diamond Lil's 14
B Safety Device Could Have Saved Lives The Fleet Air Arm 24