Cutty Sark on fire!

Discussion in 'History' started by Always_a_Civvy, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I remember being taken there by my Dad and Grandad when I was a kid. What a damn shame to be preserved all these years and be destroyed by fire.
  2. No the fastest Tea Clipper afire..hope Gypsy Moth IV doesn't go up too. Great Britain's maritime history just took another belting.
    :cry: :cry:
  3. I come from round there, used to go for a walk down to CS on a Sunday sometimes :( :(
  4. Latest reports on the news say the fire is being treated as suspicious.

A real shame and cannot think why anyone would want to set it on fire deliberately. :-(
  5. Its bloody gone :(
    Such memories of my grandad taking me to see it as a kid.
    What waste of space would burn that?
  6. Fortunately, most of the superstructure was off the ship being refurbished. Hopefully, this piece of naval history can be restored.
  7. Because Greenwich has turned into another 'Iz it coz I iz Black' ghetto shithole…

I can remember when it was a nice leafy suburb of London and a nice place to spend a Sunday afternoon walking… not now.
  8. TBH, Greenwich has been that way for many, many years. I can remember playing against Greenwich Boro in the Kent League years ago and we could not wait to leave the area.

I too remember it being a lovely part of the south of London.
  9. Can be salvaged according to the news , hope so , only seen it once , when I ran past it doing the London Marathon a number of years ago , what an atmosphere , crowds were brilliant , :wink:
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Without the Cutty Sark we lose a reminder of our proud history of shipping opium in to China in return for tea :twisted: and now where are the kids gonna go on school trips? 8O
  11. When did we grow opium in Britain then?
  12. Of course you knew this already.

Two wars, the First Opium War (1839–42) and the Second Opium War (1856–60), waged by Britain against China to enforce the opening of Chinese ports to trade in opium. Opium from British India paid for Britain's imports from China, such as porcelain, silk, and, above all, tea.

The First Opium War resulted in the cession of Hong Kong to Britain and the opening of five treaty ports. Other European states were also subsequently given concessions. The Second Opium War followed, with Britain and France in alliance against China, when there was further Chinese resistance to the opium trade. China was forced to give the European states greater trading privileges, at the expense of its people.

Regarding the Cutty Sark. Did we not have a sprinkler system on board.
  13. The point I was so badly making was why do people HAVE to put everything down, bloody makes me sick!
    People these days couldn't give a rats fart about the effing Opium wars.
    Cutty Sark was a fine ship and the fastest in the world at one time, but some sad shit just HAS to make the comment putting it down, instead of either shutting up or making a comment on the actual fire setting story itself!!
  14. We (the British Establishment) encouraged the Chinese to farm opium poppies and imported the juice back to the UK. Of course in the early days getting high on opium was OK because the addicts were the aristocracy. When cheap opium led to members of the working class taking to it, it became a menace!
  15. sgtpepperband

Hmm, if you read my comment above, you'll see I added the "twisted" emoticon, implying I had my tongue planted firmly in my cheek... :roll:
  16. hmm, the twisted emoticon must mean something very different to you then!
  17. sgtpepperband

You say tomato, blah blah blah... :lol:
  18. Fair enough.

If your comment wasn't meant in the way that it was perceived then I apologise for the flash :) Its just that CS meant quite a lot to me, it was the first ship that I saw up close, and my grandad took me to see it.
  19. sgtpepperband

No probs - lot of things get lost in translation in RR!

My SCC Unit was based in the Naval College next door; we did many events and functions on Cutty Sark. I remember Liptons tea company came down to do a PR stunt on board and I and other cadets were dressed up in periodic naval uniforms... made me a very proud boy sailor! :lol: