Cutting-edge Daring protected by Scimitar as she departs the Rock

Rocket_Ron

Lantern Swinger
So if an air defence ship doesn't have a radar, how is she going to get targeting to fire her missiles?
Has it ever been suggested that T45 wouldn't wish to used as part of a layered Air Defence screen?
But if she does have to operate on her own, isn't being able to shoot down fast cricket balls at whatever range it is a good thing?
I cannot see how putting a world leading radar on an air defender can be flawed.

I'm just a PWO(C) though - perhaps an AAWO can come and shout the answer at me.

ZIPPO 1, 270 based on drop kick.
I see we`ve learned nothing from our previous conflicts.
It may well be the best radar the world has ever seen, it may be able to spot the sex of a flying fish at ten miles, BUT a radar wave works in straight lines, thus its range limited.
We`re back to using radar picket ships ? Seriously ? That`ll be an easy sell in the recruiting office, your job is to stand out there and be a target, but with luck you`ll be able to shoot quicker. Jesus, its the equivalent of a shoot-out in the Wild West, two men walking into the middle of the street, fastest one on the day lives. Sorry that ain`t good enough for me, i want Winchesters on the roof-tops, just to give an edge.

I see we`ve learned nothing from our previous conflicts.
It may well be the best radar the world has ever seen, it may be able to spot the sex of a flying fish at ten miles, BUT a radar wave works in straight lines, thus its range limited.
We`re back to using radar picket ships ? Seriously ? That`ll be an easy sell in the recruiting office, your job is to stand out there and be a target, but with luck you`ll be able to shoot quicker. Jesus, its the equivalent of a shoot-out in the Wild West, two men walking into the middle of the street, fastest one on the day lives. Sorry that ain`t good enough for me, i want Winchesters on the roof-tops, just to give an edge.
Wrong. Re-do in own time and such like.

Discounting propagation me finks that R_R is talking about not bending a radar over the horizon and getting it back again safe and sound to paint onto a radar screen\plot\jobby thingy doo dah

Guns

War Hero
Because he said "Goalkeeper to AAW Auto" and subsequently "Goalkeeper to safe", while listening to the most boring net on earth. Says the man who's life revolves around chart checks, step asides and INFOTACs.......
I'll have you know that as the AWO on the LPD I decided that I was an overpaid narrative of an air battle I had no infulence over. The CPO(M) took over and I played at being ASUWC. Which was better as I got to sit in a nicer part of the COR far away from the Ships Ops Room thus avoiding FOSTies. Plus they stored the Action Snacks near us and the ORM only has so many eyes.

Last edited:

Guns

War Hero
Plus it is not just radar that detects missiles - as the Gollies keep telling us. Plus there are lots of other gucci toys to help but this is not the place.

Rocket_Ron

Lantern Swinger
Perhaps R-R were to pitch up and clarify his position.
Pitching up now, sir.

We`re discounting our previous combat experience because it doesn`t fit in with our current thinking. Its very dangerous, and will come with a high price, one that our young men will have to pay, not me. High level and medium level bombing/incursion by plane used to be the norm, until radar established itself as a game changer. That left low level as the only infil/exfil method. Radar can`t cope (as well) with this because it works in straight lines, and being at sea-level you`re limited to viewing as far as the horizon. And that is if you`re situated in open water on a fairly calm day. Throw in large seas, or land, and you`ve just applied a blindfold.
The only defence against aircraft is other aircraft. And the only way to avoid standing patrols is to have high altitude look down capability by a dedicated radar platform.

Thats why the T45 is a flawed concept.

If we go back to `82, would a T45 have changed all that much ? It would still have been a stuck out on the edge as a radar picket. Would it have detected incoming missiles any earlier ? Would it have been just as surprised by pop up A4`s if it were shelling the beach-head/covering the landings ? We cannot just discount our previous experience and glibly say we`ll not fight that kind of war again, we weren`t supposed to fight it in the first place.

Pitching up now, sir.

We`re discounting our previous combat experience because it doesn`t fit in with our current thinking. Its very dangerous, and will come with a high price, one that our young men will have to pay, not me. High level and medium level bombing/incursion by plane used to be the norm, until radar established itself as a game changer. That left low level as the only infil/exfil method. Radar can`t cope (as well) with this because it works in straight lines, and being at sea-level you`re limited to viewing as far as the horizon. And that is if you`re situated in open water on a fairly calm day. Throw in large seas, or land, and you`ve just applied a blindfold.
The only defence against aircraft is other aircraft. And the only way to avoid standing patrols is to have high altitude look down capability by a dedicated radar platform.

Thats why the T45 is a flawed concept.

If we go back to `82, would a T45 have changed all that much ? It would still have been a stuck out on the edge as a radar picket. Would it have detected incoming missiles any earlier ? Would it have been just as surprised by pop up A4`s if it were shelling the beach-head/covering the landings ? We cannot just discount our previous experience and glibly say we`ll not fight that kind of war again, we weren`t supposed to fight it in the first place.
Sigh. I'm not going to explain it, but just sigh.

Latest Threads