Cuts

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by Canaldrifter, Jan 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another thread talking about a different kind of 'cut' made me remember this.

Anyone here get the cuts at Ganges?

Anyone remember donning the blue PT shorts, without pussers issue kacks... being stetched over the back of a hard-backed chair, and held down by a couple of RPO's while the jaunty whipped you across the arse with a thin cane?

He made you wait between strokes too. You couldn't time them. They weren't equally delivered. I wouldn't cry out. I wouldn't let them have that satisfaction. I just gritted my teeth... and wished I hadn't sewn my name in the shorts across a cheek.

Rumour had it that if he drew blood or crossed a stripe you would get a shilling's compensation. Unluckily my six were beautifully spaced..... like tram-lines.

It had the advantage that I had the rest of the day off to recover.

I had to show the scars to the rest of the messdeck who were suitably impressed...... and no-one else went over the wall... as I had.

2. No prizes for guessing who`s just nipped out to the library storeroom for fifty flips. :lol: :lol:

…….

3. Remember those pregnant wrens getting £300K compensation... I see they broke Parliamentary guidelines on how you poor sods should be flogged!

Why did you do a bunk? I though everyone loved the place? :twisted: Did you know there was even a Debate in the Commons after one lad was SNLR'd and his parents complained to their MP about it - he loved Ganges so much! :roll: :? :? :? :lol:

4. I wuz on a promise..... :grin:

5. Also to 'whitmouse' the instrument used was a birch rod much heavier than a hollow cane and hurt a damm sight more. No not me, I was expecting 6 cuts(ie. strokes) but instead was dis-rated from Junior Seaman 1st Class to J/S " 2nd class for a period of 14 days. But not before the Reg staff had told me all about the cuts, normally 6 strokes. My offence "that J/S **** P/****** did insult CPO Garnham PJX/****** prejudicial to good order and conduct etc.

In my year I never knew of any Junior being assaulted either violently or sexually by any instructor. Bunny hopping up and down Faith Hope and Charity, dragging a field gun up and down Laundry Hill, doubling around the parade ground with a Lee Enfield 303 held outstretched at arms length was seen as normal. But then in 61 we were 'ARD!.

Nuttty

6. That must be lampswinging Nutty. Birch!!!!! :pale:

'ARD.... Nooooo, surely not in the flower-power 60s!!! :toothy4:

7. Never get away with it nowadays. Bet it prevented a lot of problems too.

SF

8. Please can we bring it back to the civilian juvenile courts?

9. Certainly NOT!!! I find adults hitting children distasteful. I have no problem with adults hitting other adults though. Perhaps it could be used on MPs who piss off their constituents... oh yes and Admirals!!! :biggrin: ...I bet we'd see a rapid reduction in THEIR number if they got flogged for not standing up for their matelots when in discussions with Ministers!

10. Also to 'whitmouse' the instrument used was a birch rod much heavier than a hollow cane and hurt a damm sight more.

Not my recollection at all. Such a rod would surely bruise, not cut. Why were they called 'cuts'?

Maybe each jaunty had his own favourite weapon?

11. Canaldrifter, I think that you will find that what the softies meant at the G Spot, were Vanilla Cuts, they liked their cakes. :w00t:

12. Vanilla Cuts.... was that scran or a sexual perversion Hig? :laughing8:

13. I do not know why they were referred to as "cuts" but I am just reading "Plain Yarns From The Fleet" recomenned on a RR Post and an ex officer talks about his last "cuts" (his word) being administered, when he was a Midshipman, by the Sub Lt. in charge of the gunroom in the late 1920's two strokes with a birch rod. He was aged 19 years at the time.

Nutty

14. And the author is Nutty?

15. General usage of the word cuts was for each stroke of the cat of nine tails, whip, cane, birch was used to replace lashes.

See South Africa Judicial System 20th Century:

"The court observed that it would be unrealistic to assume that every gaoler had the Prison Regulations at his elbow when preparing to administer corporal punishment prescribed by a court, so as a matter of practice it was advisable for judicial officers to avoid using the term "lashes" when they meant "strokes" or "cuts" with a cane. Amending the sentence, the Court substituted the word "cuts" for "lashes".

The Military in the 1800 called them cuts both adults, Boy Soldiers and Pusser;

"Birching was also used at the Royal Hibernian Military School in Dublin, but a six-foot-long bamboo cane was the more usual instrument of punishment there. This seems unusually long for a cane. As in the Navy, the word "cuts" rather than "strokes" was officially used as the unit of measurement, as these extracts from the punishment books show:

3 March 1852: Pte Vialls, aged 13. Trade, Shoemaker. Charged with breaking two awls and telling an infamous lie. Punishment: 18 cuts.

30 December 1852: Pte Ends Seta, aged 13. Charged with answering the Commandant in a disrespectful manner. Punishment: 6 cuts and 6 hours in the black hole.

31 December 1852: Pte Ends Seta, aged 13. Charged with kicking and making a noise in the black hole, and being insolent and disrespectful to the sergeant major. (He threw his mug of water out of the hole and called the sergeant major a fathead.) Punishment: 18 cuts."

Nutty

16. 3 March 1852: Pte Vialls, aged 13. Trade, Shoemaker. Charged with breaking two awls and telling an infamous lie. Punishment: 18 cuts.

30 December 1852: Pte Ends Seta, aged 13. Charged with answering the Commandant in a disrespectful manner. Punishment: 6 cuts and 6 hours in the black hole.

31 December 1852: Pte Ends Seta, aged 13. Charged with kicking and making a noise in the black hole, and being insolent and disrespectful to the sergeant major. (He threw his mug of water out of the hole and called the sergeant major a fathead.) Punishment: 18 cuts."

Nutty

They were soft in them thar days tho`

and the Author Nutty is?

17. Cheers NZB, many thanks.[​IMG]

18. Remember when I joined my first ship in Derry (1962) it was there in the old Pussers Rate Book as Canes, Punishment Rattan under Section 10C. When they published the revised 1962 Catalogue, it had disappeared..