Cutbacks here and Loans to the IMF

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
To me this just shows the utter contempt that the politicians feel for the British people. Cut backs, job losses, the crocodile tears of the Bankers. So we can find cash in the reserves to lend out ! To my knowledge most, if not all, local councils have these contingency funds. All ready in case of a rainy day. Wish someone would tell them...IT'S PISSING IT DOWN', use the reserves that you have stolen from your constituants, we pay our rates and taxes to keep the country going, not for them to stockpile, get Britain looking clean and proud once again. (rant over!)

Taloolah

Banned
'Hear, hear' Granny. I think you speak for the majority.

As an escapee from local govt, I can confirm there is ALWAYS money available for the most inane projects going, depending on political will, whilst frontline services suffer cutbacks....£12k going once to an acting Corp.Dir. in order for her to front a one-day conference prior to her applying for a top job, while a local learning disability centre was crying out for a new minibus, only to be told, 'No money'.

If we have money for international donations, but not at home someone, somewhere in govt. must be profiting from these kinds of moves to make it worthwhile. Either that or the government is in such disarray,no-one knows what's really going on.

Either way, amounts to a total mockery of the Average Joe.

Last edited:

trelawney126

War Hero
The real effrontry to the council tax payers is the amount of "reserves" that are held by local councils, as Granny stated. Cornwall Council lost some £9million in the Icelantic bank collapse, that was a small amount compared to other councils. Even worse, the Government recommend where councils should invest their "extra pennies".

M

mikehunt

What a pitiful shower we are, we are continually being told that the country is broke yet here we have Cameron dishing out our money to everyone except his own people and what do we do about it nothing as usual, we deserve everything we get.

Taloolah

Banned
What a pitiful shower we are, we are continually being told that the country is broke yet here we have Cameron dishing out our money to everyone except his own people and what do we do about it nothing as usual, we deserve everything we get.

Agreed but the last time govt listened in any major way was the late 80's/early 90's - poll tax riots.Since then, they've impressively managed to ignore public wishes for just about everything. Made me laugh to hear the 'surprise' in government earlier this year at an outcry about selling off our ancient forests ..... politicians simply have no idea about normal life and the rest of us too busy trying to make ends meet to have time to tell them.

Salty_Rupert

Midshipman
This seems to be a slight over-reaction. This money is not being lost or spent, it is simply a loan which we will make money on. In effect we are borrowing £9 billion and are loaning it to the IMF (which we can do due to AAA rating) from which we will earn interest. This money could not be used to lessen the deficit or pay for jobs as in doing so would simply increase the deficit, this £9 billion will grow and thus reduce our deficit. Win win for UK and fair play to the government.

Also Trelawny why are you surprised. Banks offer very high interest rates for a reason, mainly because most people do not want to bank with them. If your council invests a large pot of their money in a high interest bank and then it goes bust well it's part of the risk, tough. I don't see why Iceland should refund our councils' stupidity. We wouldn't do the same.

M

mikehunt

This seems to be a slight over-reaction. This money is not being lost or spent, it is simply a loan which we will make money on. In effect we are borrowing £9 billion and are loaning it to the IMF (which we can do due to AAA rating) from which we will earn interest. This money could not be used to lessen the deficit or pay for jobs as in doing so would simply increase the deficit, this £9 billion will grow and thus reduce our deficit. Win win for UK and fair play to the government.

Also Trelawny why are you surprised. Banks offer very high interest rates for a reason, mainly because most people do not want to bank with them. If your council invests a large pot of their money in a high interest bank and then it goes bust well it's part of the risk, tough. I don't see why Iceland should refund our councils' stupidity. We wouldn't do the same.
So what is the interest rate on the £9 million loan that we are borrowing to loan to the IMF and what is the expected percentage return on the £9 million from the IMF?

flymo

War Hero
And who are we borrowing the money from in the first place? Why don't the recipients cut out the middle man (aka the UK) and go straight to them?

Apols for seeming dense and fick 'ere.

Rumrat

War Hero
Another one of them I know but dare not tell types.
Usually because when they do disclose we all see what a load of **** all they actually know.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
And who are we borrowing the money from in the first place? Why don't the recipients cut out the middle man (aka the UK) and go straight to them?

Apols for seeming dense and fick 'ere.
Your not the only one Flymo, I can't get my head round this at all but some bastards lining his pocket somewhere (or am I being unduly cynical).

flymo

War Hero
Your not the only one Flymo, I can't get my head round this at all but some bastards lining his pocket somewhere (or am I being unduly cynical).
When one considers how the world works (aka: someone wanting money, invariably yours\ours\mine) then I don't think that we can ever be cynical enough.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Twids "Royal Navy cutbacks", no missiles after 2018 Current Affairs 42
BillyNoMates Fat cat top grade civil servants received 30% bonuses for implementing Dept cutbacks. Diamond Lil's 1
cooksmate A nother fine example of MOD/ Coalition cutbacks. Diamond Lil's 2
soleil Western Morning News: "Navy Shows Huge Resilience, Despite Savage Cutbacks" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "Cash, cutbacks and Britain's place in the world" Current Affairs 4
soleil S. Times: "Cutbacks for both the Royal Navy and the RAF" Current Affairs 11
soleil Sky: "Last Post: Military Mail Cutbacks Slammed" Current Affairs 8
MoD_RSS Getting back behind the wheel? Here’s some useful advice MoD News 0
A Medical fail - where do I go from here? Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS We will robustly defend human rights here at the UN and beyond MoD News 0
LeedsBornLeedsBred Passed out 5 week ago, here to answer any questions. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS Here we go! Football fans urged to remember basic rules of road MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Cash here to stay as government commits to protecting access MoD News 0
Lily jade Newbie Here The Corps 13
J Any MAs on here? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L New here ;) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
LateToTheParty HMS Conqueror - Did anyone on here serve on her? Submariners 8
N Any Accelerated Apprenticeship Scheme: Marine Engineers here? Joining the Royal Navy 31
Simon - Quest Magazine Want to keep flying? Here’s how … The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Crinkley Stuff No Who does What Here Finance & Pensions 1
NateDogg Any serving Aircraft handlers on here? or anyone applying? Joining the Royal Navy 49
SquidlyDiddly Any SE Officers or Cadets here? RFA 0
BillyNoMates "Everything to see here" History 0
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. The Quarterdeck 2
G Collingwood here i come RFA 10
S Anyone on here a part of the recruitment team? Submariners 14
drewfester Here we go again! Another new uniform Current Affairs 141
A I'm back from my PRNC - Here's a few tips for anyone yet to do it! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
D Anyone here a SG 1/2 RFA 5
Ninja_Stoker The "your name here" thread Diamond Lil's 205
Jockanese Mine Warfare (I know, it's already on here but...) The Fleet 5
ToonPatriot Any Aircraft controllers here? The Fleet Air Arm 6
C Is anyone here a marine engineering technician? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
5oclockhero Any current or ex-RFA personnel on here? RFA 6
soleil Waikato Times: "Happy 21st, Here's The Keys To An Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 3
T The Greatest Military / Pub Duvet Jacket known to man - Kosa 3 Mk II is here Travel & The Great Outdoors 1
T Does this go here? NAVAL OFFICERS HONOURED FOR ROLE IN SOMALIA MoD News 0
MaiBelle Off to Ghana...cause it's not hot enough here! Travel & The Great Outdoors 34
fails_as_is Duty watch really turned to under the glory shower here... The Gash Barge 2
Repulse New chap here... History 19
F Anybody here seen Peppa ? The Gash Barge 52
2 anyone here into athletics? Sports and Adventure Training 8
B What is wrong with some of the see you next tuesdays on here? The Gash Barge 40
finknottle Syria, Here We Go Again! Current Affairs 50
Good CO Software upgrade done this morning - any errors here please / Blog removed Site Issues 39
finknottle Our spineless government could learn a thing or two here. Current Affairs 36
SONAR-BENDER Roll up! Roll up! Get yer F30 gizzit here! Diamond Lil's 2
MG Maniac Here we go again???? Current Affairs 12
M Hi all, MA in waiting here, first post! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29