Cut Price Bargins to be found in Gosport

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by 5dits, Jun 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pompey News

Some people are just born stupid and then move or live in Gosport!

2. Police said they had also been contacted by a woman who said she had spent £130 on what she thought was a Nintendo Wii, an Apple iPod Nano, a digital camera and a laptop – but when she opened her bag she found a set of kitchen knives and a cheap watch.

Imagine how embarrassed she must have felt if she had she had tried to stick two kitchen knives into her ears and listen to her "Showaddywaddy's Greatest Hits"

3. Why not open the bag and check out the goods there and then?

SF

4. "She said: 'They were very smooth and slick and had plants in the crowd to whip everyone up into a frenzy."

So why did she buy something? Doh! You can't send people to prison for being stoopid, but maybe that's one for Broon and Noo Lie-bore to look at next...?

5. She could still have opened the bloody bag before moving on. Buyer beware ..... I wonder if they made a pipe for her?

SF

6. Because the planted 'customers' and the saleman's assistants don't really give anyone much of a chance to take a look, though there probably is a genuine item here and there, probably 'bought' by a planted 'customer'.

This shell game is, or used to be, very popular in the coastal resorts, quite a few of the markets and in London's Oxford Street, and I've seen the same thing in the north ( Come and get a baaaaargain, I'm not asking ten parnd, not even a fiver, who'll give me two parnd ten etc etc ....!!), but it seems that people still get hooked in by it - when will they learn that if it seems too good to be true, it ain't true?

:lol:

7. Seriously? Having never purchased anything this way I am curious. They actually stop you standing there after buying something and prevent you from opening it up to have a look at your purchase?

SF

8. Yep. The pace of the sales patter reallly tends to take other people's minds off any objection raised by any disgruntled customer.
    But as I said, there probably is a genuine one here and there, and the chap on the platform does wave a genuine item about for the punters to see.
    Seen it in operation, plus my brother used to in that game :oops:

:)

9. there are 2 or 3 of them operate at Skegness Market every year & because of the way things are sold they are not doing anything illegal.
    ie who'll give me £50 for what in the bag, basically cashing in on mug punters greed.

10. As my dear old Dad used to say, "There's one born every minute and the trouble is most of 'em live!"

11. They used have a shop like that in Blackpool selling these bargain goods.
    Guys would try to get you inside etc but it was so obvious what was going on.

I stood there for a while watching the punters get their 'bargains' it was better than seeing the pier end show! :thumright:

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"You can't con an honest man..." (Or woman in this case!) :twisted:

13. Ahhhhh - good to that the old 'Naples brick' is alive and kicking and the people of Turk Town were reeled in good and proper.