Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cut in funding for defence homes in Scotland

hackle

Lantern Swinger
Mentions Churchill estate, Helensburgh.

D.Y. (BAFF)

>> Web Source - BBC

>> Faslane HIVE web page

Monday, 5 November 2007, 18:19 GMT
Cut in funding for defence homes
By Stephen Stewart
BBC Scotland

The Ministry of Defence's housing budget in Scotland has dropped by almost £8m in the last year, according to documents obtained by BBC Scotland.

Some families said they have had to endure poor married quarters.

Documents which revealed a major fall in spending on housing were obtained under freedom of information rules.

MoD officials insisted that they have continued to invest in housing stock and have received a relatively small number of complaints each year.
Churchill estate
Derelict homes on the Churchill estate have been vandalised

In 2006/7, the MoD spent £20.7m on service families' accommodation compared with more than £28m the year before.

Over the same period, there was also a rise in the number of complaints about the housing stock.

The Churchill housing estate, near Helensburgh, is one of a number of sites around the country with homes built for MoD staff.

It contains houses which were constructed for Royal Navy staff serving at the nearby Faslane base.

Some Navy wives there said the area's decline was all too apparent in the smashed windows and graffiti on derelict buildings.
It has got to the stage where I don't even know where to turn to
'Karen', Royal Navy wife

One resident, who wanted to be referred to only as 'Karen', is the wife of a Royal Navy sailor and has lived in married quarters for almost 10 years.

She said: "It has got to the stage where I don't even know where to turn to. I have problems with damp and the general lack of maintenance.

"I had a pipe burst in my bathroom and I had to wait years for the damage to be fixed.

"It's upsetting for my husband to be off at sea for months at a time with all this on the back of his mind.

"It used to be that standards were extremely high but now it is as if no-one cares anymore. It's all about money and they seem intent on letting this place fall to wrack and ruin."

'Extremely high'

Another woman, referred to as 'Louise', comes from a Royal Navy family and has lived in MoD housing across the UK for most of her life.

However, she was shocked to see the conditions of MoD homes in Scotland.

She said that the general decline of the area's housing had led to more anti-social behaviour.

She said: "I have stayed in married quarters in Portsmouth and Plymouth and this is the worst place by a long way.

"It seems that no matter how long you complain, it never gets noticed."

Faslane Naval Base on the Clyde
The Churchill estate caters for staff who work at the Faslane base

The MoD said it managed nearly 4,000 homes across Scotland with 1,600 changes of occupancy each year.

Despite the high volume of work undertaken, officials said customer surveys consistently demonstrated that more than 95% of occupants were fully satisfied with the housing service they received.

An MoD spokeswoman said that recent accommodation improvements at Faslane and Glencorse barracks had created some of the best military housing in the UK...

"All complaints are taken seriously and are being addressed. Complaints are very few when you consider we have thousands of service men and women working in Scotland."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Funding to be cut for the RN?: Times online The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS Radical sentencing overhaul to cut crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to cut red tape for farmers as they plan for 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major new campaign encourages millions to lose weight and cut COVID-19 risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HM Treasury extends tax cut to PPE costs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reforms set to boost early language outcomes and cut workload MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £80 million boost to cut emissions from homes and industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Treasury cut taxes to reduce PPE costs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Furlough scheme cut-off date extended to 19 March MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government takes action to cut pollution from household burning MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to cut the cost of new homes by a third MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 31 million taxpayers to get April tax cut MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Annual fisheries negotiations cut cod quota MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Heavy industry to cut 2 million tonnes of carbon emissions with new tech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ring road upgrade to cut journey times and boost connectivity in York MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Teacher workload cut by five hours a week over past three years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: New airport technology will ‘cut down hassle’ for passengers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield’s tallest stack cut down to size MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First steel cut for HMS Cardiff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Road safety action plan announced to cut road deaths MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Justice secretary urges evidence-led approach to cut crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK government acts to cut electricity bills for consumers in the north of Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ambitious targets to cut shipping emissions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Gove steps-up government action to cut food waste at landmark ‘Step up to the plate’ gathering MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Food Waste Fund: £4 million awarded to cut food waste MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New style roadworks cut disruption for drivers and residents MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK aid project helps cut violence against women by more than half in Democratic Republic of Congo MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New road to cut Worcester congestion MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Trade remedies measures to protect UK businesses and cut prices MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Appeal decisions could be cut by 5 months MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Damian Hinds: School leaders should ditch email culture to cut workload MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Let’s get digital – new online system to cut Blue Badge application time MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Robots to fix underground pipes and help cut roadworks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: In-cell phones for more prisons in drive to cut crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Campaign to cut plastics around the coast gets boost thanks to Environment Agency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Proposals unveiled to cut red tape for divers retrieving marine litter MoD News 0
B Operation, 'Brassard' / 'Cut out'. Namely, The landing and liberation of ELBA 20 June 1944. History 0
FunkyJunky Harpoon to be cut? The Fleet 18
babygravy Post Defence Cut Problems Current Affairs 7
AAF Get your hair cut !. Diamond Lil's 26
soleil Telegraph: "MOD Spends £66 Million On Consultants As Armed Forces Cut" Current Affairs 5
soleil Telegraph: "MoD Lawyers Soar As Armed Forces’ Budgets Cut" Current Affairs 3
B Am I alone in my thoughts.......bring back the SSK....cut the costs!! Submariners 50
soleil Telegraph: "Lord West: Cut Foreign Aid To Defend The Falklands" Current Affairs 20
finknottle Stop forces' pay cut, demand chiefs Current Affairs 29
soleil Mail: "Shop At Ikea And Cut Back On Your Cleaners, MoD Orders Top Brass" Current Affairs 2
daffy1 Surviving the cut Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
soleil Telegraph: "Defence Chiefs Cut Bonus Payments To Military Bands" The Corps 6
MoD_RSS First steel cut for new aircraft carrier Current Affairs 5
trelawney126 Cut & Paste job on Finknottles 264's Diamond Lil's 1