Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cut crime with drink tax - WTF!

With alcohol having been part and parcel for many when I served (don't know how it is now), how will this effect the three tins per day per body on a "sleek grey messenger of death"?
How would it effect your life?
Paying yet more tax and being penalised for a miniority abuse of alcohol?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/15/nalcohol115.xml

"Alcohol should be made more expensive to cut down on violent crime, Gordon Brown's own advisers have suggested.

The Strategy Unit, which is part of the Cabinet Office, has also told him that increasing taxes on drinks would curb domestic violence and reduce traffic accidents and injuries in the workplace.

The recommendation is contained in a briefing paper. The unit's conclusions come amid growing political unease about the effects of cheap alcohol."

Another sledge hammer to crack a nut? Or, just another way to tax us all?
Discuss..............

Al

I think the cost thing is a red herring, many countries with lower prices for drink do not have the same problems as us. In my opinion people get lagered up and create mayhem because they can and do usually get away with it. If the sort of behaviour we all find sickeing is to stop we will have to make those who do it realise that such behaviour will not be tolerated. All drunks should be arrested the moment they are seen either to be a danger to themselves or others or are causing offence. Take them down the nick, when they are sober hit them with a fixed penalty fine, and make bad behaviour expensive, not make having a sociable drink repsibly expensive

Exactly as you say Maxi.
Here in Spain drink is probably the cheapest in Europe yet there is not a problem with binge drinking anything near the same scale as in the UK. Here it is seen as a personal disgrace and a lack of control to appear obviously drunk.
It is the northern countries that seem to have the problem Scandinavia and the British Isles, including Ireland; places were alcohol is inordinately expensive already.
When Shakespears Hamlet said 'there is something rotten in the state of Denmark' he was referring to alcoholism, even way back then. Also, didn't the 'rolling english drunkard make the rolling english road'.
Seems to me the problem is cultural and that will be the way to address it, if indeed there is such a significant problem that it needs addressing.
Whatever the government decides is bound to be tinged by their need to extract revenue which could, if they succeed, put the few pints we all enjoy and deserve, in the same overtaxed category as road fuel and cigarettes.
All it would mean is a boom time for cross channel ferry companies. I mean, would you open an off licence in Dover? Pity the poor sods who live in the north :lol:

lsadirty

War Hero
Another cynical money making scam - will it make any difference to us having a pint or four, even at the extortionate prices we pay today ? I doubt it. Better they start hammering these scrotes with fines or time inside in lieu - the majority of us are not the problem, why should we get hammered for the idiocy of a minority ?

lsadirty said:
Another cynical money making scam - will it make any difference to us having a pint or four, even at the extortionate prices we pay today ? I doubt it. Better they start hammering these scrotes with fines or time inside in lieu - the majority of us are not the problem, why should we get hammered for the idiocy of a minority ?

Cynical and money making, how very dare you!
The beloved law makers with their 24hour tax free bar are surely beyond that :wink:

An easy "quick, do something" fix combined with more revenue for the Treasury. This Government's standard solution to most things.

It won't work, incidentally.

Achmed

Lantern Swinger
Maxi_77 said:
I think the cost thing is a red herring, many countries with lower prices for drink do not have the same problems as us. In my opinion people get lagered up and create mayhem because they can and do usually get away with it. If the sort of behaviour we all find sickeing is to stop we will have to make those who do it realise that such behaviour will not be tolerated. All drunks should be arrested the moment they are seen either to be a danger to themselves or others or are causing offence. Take them down the nick, when they are sober hit them with a fixed penalty fine, and make bad behaviour expensive, not make having a sociable drink repsibly expensive

Maxi, i fully agree with you on this occasion

Achmed said:
Maxi_77 said:

Maxi, i fully agree with you on this occasion

Oops, time for a rethink.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Radical sentencing overhaul to cut crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Justice secretary urges evidence-led approach to cut crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: In-cell phones for more prisons in drive to cut crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to cut red tape for farmers as they plan for 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major new campaign encourages millions to lose weight and cut COVID-19 risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HM Treasury extends tax cut to PPE costs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reforms set to boost early language outcomes and cut workload MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £80 million boost to cut emissions from homes and industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Treasury cut taxes to reduce PPE costs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Furlough scheme cut-off date extended to 19 March MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government takes action to cut pollution from household burning MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to cut the cost of new homes by a third MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 31 million taxpayers to get April tax cut MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Annual fisheries negotiations cut cod quota MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Heavy industry to cut 2 million tonnes of carbon emissions with new tech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ring road upgrade to cut journey times and boost connectivity in York MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Teacher workload cut by five hours a week over past three years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: New airport technology will ‘cut down hassle’ for passengers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield’s tallest stack cut down to size MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First steel cut for HMS Cardiff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Road safety action plan announced to cut road deaths MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK government acts to cut electricity bills for consumers in the north of Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ambitious targets to cut shipping emissions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Gove steps-up government action to cut food waste at landmark ‘Step up to the plate’ gathering MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Food Waste Fund: £4 million awarded to cut food waste MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New style roadworks cut disruption for drivers and residents MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK aid project helps cut violence against women by more than half in Democratic Republic of Congo MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New road to cut Worcester congestion MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Trade remedies measures to protect UK businesses and cut prices MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Appeal decisions could be cut by 5 months MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Damian Hinds: School leaders should ditch email culture to cut workload MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Let’s get digital – new online system to cut Blue Badge application time MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Robots to fix underground pipes and help cut roadworks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Campaign to cut plastics around the coast gets boost thanks to Environment Agency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Proposals unveiled to cut red tape for divers retrieving marine litter MoD News 0
B Operation, 'Brassard' / 'Cut out'. Namely, The landing and liberation of ELBA 20 June 1944. History 0
FunkyJunky Harpoon to be cut? The Fleet 18
babygravy Post Defence Cut Problems Current Affairs 7
AAF Get your hair cut !. Diamond Lil's 26
soleil Telegraph: "MOD Spends £66 Million On Consultants As Armed Forces Cut" Current Affairs 5
soleil Telegraph: "MoD Lawyers Soar As Armed Forces’ Budgets Cut" Current Affairs 3
B Am I alone in my thoughts.......bring back the SSK....cut the costs!! Submariners 50
soleil Telegraph: "Lord West: Cut Foreign Aid To Defend The Falklands" Current Affairs 20
finknottle Stop forces' pay cut, demand chiefs Current Affairs 29
soleil Mail: "Shop At Ikea And Cut Back On Your Cleaners, MoD Orders Top Brass" Current Affairs 2
daffy1 Surviving the cut Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
soleil Telegraph: "Defence Chiefs Cut Bonus Payments To Military Bands" The Corps 6
MoD_RSS First steel cut for new aircraft carrier Current Affairs 5
trelawney126 Cut & Paste job on Finknottles 264's Diamond Lil's 1
soleil BBC News Highlands & Islands: "HMS Sutherland's Visit Cut For Operational Reasons" The Fleet 0