Custom-made orthotics

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by greasedupdeafguy, Apr 10, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just got orthotics made for me today due to shin splints for the last while, i tried everything else so it was a last resort (a dear one at that). I was just wondering when at my PRNC and if successful Raleigh will i be allowed to wear them in my boots and my trainers?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Prescribed orthotic insoles are actually a bar to entry into the Naval service as they indicate a significant pre-existing injury.

Whilst they can be (and frequently are) prescribed after joining if a condition develops without cause for discharge, the Naval Service is very risk averse to pre-existing lower-limb injuries. Not so long ago flat feet were an outright bar to entry - they aren't an automatic bar in themselves but "complications" arising from the condition prior to entry are viewed as "significant" unfortunately.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Unfortunate, plenty of ice and rest for me then.

Sent from my C6903 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  4. Plenty of rest, when you feel like you can run again, rest some more. Have you tried going to a running shop for them to check your gate and see what trainers are good for your running style? I have had some crap trainers over the last couple of months that have caused me loads of grief!
    • Like Like x 1