Curry Night

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by rosinacarley, May 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I went to a pusser's curry night last night, and very fine it was too.

There were the usual accompaniements - chopped cucumber, red onion, tomatoes, boiled eggs, but sadly no coconut.

What do you call these things collectively? The PO Stoker says sambols? I asked him why and he said 'cuz they do'.

Can anyone offer a more sensible explanation to this or a better name?
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Seems a perfectly reasonable explanation to me.
  3. Sounds like a salad to me!!!
    geoff(ers) :?
  4. Yes thank you Geoffers, very helpful!

I knew I would not get a sensible answer if I posted on here. Sometimes I wonder why I bother!
  5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Are you sure one of the other diners hadn't just boffed up in the bowl while you weren't looking?! 8O :wink:
  6. Eeeww no, they were rather sweet, it was the RN Boxers association weekend.

I am not surprised to report that they were all well behaved and gentlemanly.
  7. Wasted your time then.
  8. and for my 400th posting

Sambols are the appetizers of a Sri Lankan meal. Very much like the Thai, Sri Lankans also do not have courses in a meal. Rather, the appetizers are enjoyed as part of the main meal. This is a very simple mixture of onion, green chilli, salt, lime and maldive fish often folded into thinly sliced vegetable such as bitter gourd, or fish such as salted sprats. Pickles and chutneys

See rosy we can be helpful, although I think the PO Stokers answer is more than reasonable
  9. Rabbit food Cocktail?
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Well it was certainly politer than a CMEM's answer.

(Much the same with a slack handful of profanities & drips about the watchbill).
  11. Always called Sambols while I was in the Andrew , They just were , so there , 8)
  12. You men all stick together!

13. To be honest I`ve never heard the term before, but then i was never in the Royal Navy, I was in the Fleet Air Arm, the creme de la creme.
  14. An association just for matelots who wear boxers... how sad... :lol: Did you both have to wear shiny shorts, go bare chested and wear padded gloves? :twisted:
  15. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

So called because cream is thick and full of clots.
  16. Touche :lol: :lol:
  17. Yea rich and thick!! lol ^~
  18. I always thought sambols were a "musical" instrument but then I could be wrong.