Currently week 5 HMS Raleigh

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
If anyone has any questions I'm open to them!
Good effort, hope all is going well for you and your fellow compulsory companions.

A few Q's, if I may:

What, if anything, would you have done differently prior to joining to make things easier?
How often are you managing to communicate with those at home?
Do you have free internet access?
How much spare time have you had?
How many joined in your class and how many have left?
Are there any overseas recruits in your class?
What has been the most and least enjoyable part of training so far?
Which bits are you looking forward to and which bits concern you?

Best of luck & again thanks for taking the time to check-in.

1. I would learn to iron & fold to A4 quickly. It is not the hardest thing. However it really makes a huge difference if you can master it early. Speed is key. I am fit so this hasn't been an issue, however people who can't do Phys/swim get a lot of their kit preparation time taken from them to train. Also learn the ranks if you can.

2. Communication with home is easy, every night after dinner you pretty much get your phone (1730ish), however some lads abuse this by spending all their free time speaking with girl friends etc and this has cost a few of them. (My advice here is buy a good set of earphones with a microphone, you are only allowed them in one ear at a time, and this allows you to iron whilst on the phone.

3. There is WiFi but it isn't worth the hassle and is only on sometimes. 4G is available, I would recommend getting a half decent data package.

4. I would say up until this weekend I've had extremely little spare time if any. Everyone who seems to have time to watch dvds etc have failed things. You are given a lot of time to do as you please, but if you have a brain you will spend it doing personal organisation.

5. We had 50 (25 port 25 Starboard), Port is now 20 and starboard is 20. We had 1 no show, 1 person arrived injured (fractured ankles) he got discharged, 2 people arrived with d&v (diarrhoea & vomiting) they got back classed, then a guy got discharged when we went to the doctor's for having double vision. One person got discharged at wet and dry for have eczema, 3 people were back classed due to failing the week four kit muster (they called home a lot and liked dvds). One person PVR'd because he only wanted to do the militarisation then apply to be a boarder control officer.

We have 2 Scots (including me), about 9 people from St Vincent and 1 person from Switzerland, everyone else is from England. (lots of people here right now from the Carribbean in all the other classes as well.

6. A lot of good stuff here, Piers Cellars was really good (mainly because morale was high) same with wet and dry, a lot of people hate it, however it can be enjoyable. The worst thing for me is either the never ending ironing and folding just to have it thrown around or IMF (The gym), I love Phys but IMF is designed to be confusing, stressful and uncomfortable. China Fleet was amazing, a day at a spa, I played squash, golf and spent the rest of the day in a sauna.

I am looking forward to all the excersises, such as Dartmoor & Havoc, also getting to phase two will be good. Everyone is not looking forward to the week 7 kit muster, a lot of people are on their final warnings and just squeaked past week 4 kit muster, I feel a few lads will be getting sent back.

I'm starting tomorrow (just had my #2 haircut :().

How many phys sessions a week do you do? And how long do they last?

The reason I ask is because I'm fine with running and swimming but I've taken a bit of a scattergun approach to improving my upper body strength and core switching between different workouts and regimes. The result is, I'm not quite as strong as I'd like to be.

The more regular the sessions are and the harder they are the better for me as I'm looking forward to being on a focused plan that will (hopefully) push me to my limit.

Also, how does the junior/ senior class system work? Is there a chance I'll be junior to your class or would it be current week 4s?

Phys lasts about 2 hours. I think week 3 or 4 you get a Phys session every day of the week. Don't go fearing Phys. It sucks, just listen and work hard.

Good chance you could be our juniors. Every block has a starboard class and a port class, each class has their own floor and two rooms, one room for seniors and one for juniors. You usually join up when a class is in their week 6 or 7 and you get a healthy little buddy buddy system for 3 weeks then the seniors leave and you're on your on until the new juniors come.

I'd take something to sleep in that is warm (but doesn't leave fluff everywhere!), Then that's it. You never get to wear anything else. Maybe bring a polo or t shirt and jeans for week 7 leave however not necessary.

1. I would learn to iron & fold to A4 quickly. It is not the hardest thing. However it really makes a huge difference if you can master it early. Speed is key. I am fit so this hasn't been an issue, however people who can't do Phys/swim get a lot of their kit preparation time taken from them to train. Also learn the ranks if you can.

2. Communication with home is easy, every night after dinner you pretty much get your phone (1730ish), however some lads abuse this by spending all their free time speaking with girl friends etc and this has cost a few of them. (My advice here is buy a good set of earphones with a microphone, you are only allowed them in one ear at a time, and this allows you to iron whilst on the phone.

3. There is WiFi but it isn't worth the hassle and is only on sometimes. 4G is available, I would recommend getting a half decent data package.

4. I would say up until this weekend I've had extremely little spare time if any. Everyone who seems to have time to watch dvds etc have failed things. You are given a lot of time to do as you please, but if you have a brain you will spend it doing personal organisation.

5. We had 50 (25 port 25 Starboard), Port is now 20 and starboard is 20. We had 1 no show, 1 person arrived injured (fractured ankles) he got discharged, 2 people arrived with d&v (diarrhoea & vomiting) they got back classed, then a guy got discharged when we went to the doctor's for having double vision. One person got discharged at wet and dry for have eczema, 3 people were back classed due to failing the week four kit muster (they called home a lot and liked dvds). One person PVR'd because he only wanted to do the militarisation then apply to be a boarder control officer.

We have 2 Scots (including me), about 9 people from St Vincent and 1 person from Switzerland, everyone else is from England. (lots of people here right now from the Carribbean in all the other classes as well.

6. A lot of good stuff here, Piers Cellars was really good (mainly because morale was high) same with wet and dry, a lot of people hate it, however it can be enjoyable. The worst thing for me is either the never ending ironing and folding just to have it thrown around or IMF (The gym), I love Phys but IMF is designed to be confusing, stressful and uncomfortable. China Fleet was amazing, a day at a spa, I played squash, golf and spent the rest of the day in a sauna.

I am looking forward to all the excersises, such as Dartmoor & Havoc, also getting to phase two will be good. Everyone is not looking forward to the week 7 kit muster, a lot of people are on their final warnings and just squeaked past week 4 kit muster, I feel a few lads will be getting sent back.
Are male and female recruits integrated in training or are they separated ever?

Females are in their own block. There usually are hardly any females. We have 6 out of 50. The females share a room with other females from lots of different weeks.