Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Currently in the recruitment process (FAA Pilot application)

jnc90

Midshipman
Hi all! Just signed up to the site after using it as a very useful resource base the past few months. After a lot of consideration and research since the age limit for the pilot roles changed last year I applied for Aircrew Officer Pilot back in October. Been progressing recruitment process which has been fairly slow progress so far. I've passed the eye test and just yesterday passed the medical, now waiting to hear about the next stage. I believe this is the fitness test which just involves a 2.4k run? Does anyone have an estimate how soon after the medical they will ask me in for the PJFT?

Also, thinking further down the line are there any typical time frames for when I could expect to be asked to an AIB, if I was to make it to that stage?

Thanks!

soleil

War Hero
I believe this is the fitness test which just involves a 2.4k run? Does anyone have an estimate how soon after the medical they will ask me in for the PJFT?

Also, thinking further down the line are there any typical time frames for when I could expect to be asked to an AIB, if I was to make it to that stage?

Thanks!

My estimate is that you will receive an instruction letter and a list of fitness centres at which you can book your PJFT within the next two weeks, at which point you will have 7 days to book the test and 14 to take it.

Off the cuff estimate for the AIB? The spring.

Be sure to speak to the AFCO for more precise information, though.

jnc90

Midshipman
Just carried out a 'search', found top right on home page and dug up these. Follow link, one may be of interest!
Pilot Recruitment Search!
Thanks for the link, have done a few searches and read plenty of older threads on here in the past months. Couldn't find anything recent that answered my query about the AIB though, hence the post.

My estimate is that you will receive an instruction letter and a list of fitness centres at which you can book your PJFT within the next two weeks, at which point you will have 7 days to book the test and 14 to take it.

Off the cuff estimate for the AIB? The spring.

Be sure to speak to the AFCO for more precise information, though.
Thanks very muc for the info. Shortly after posting I had the message to contact the fitness centre so will call to book in my PJFT sometime today.

The AFCO weren't able to give me an estimate on when the AIB is likely to be just said that they believe there is a waiting list/back log at the moment. Spring would be good timing though if that were the case.

If for example I was unable to make the dates that they gave me for the AIB, what would happen then? Would I be able to attend a future one or would I only be offered one chance to attend an AIB? Assuming there would be several months delay at least if I was to postpone it though?

jnc90

Midshipman
PJFT booked in for just under 2 weeks time, so planning to get in plenty of practice and cardio work in the next 10 days or so.

Another quick question regarding the next steps, I realise there may be a few months wait until the AIB if I get that far but as for the sift interview and FATs, do these tend to come soon after the PJFT or will the FATs likely be nearer the dates of the AIB?

And finally (for now), when it does come to AIB do applicants find out on the weekend if they have passed or not and when a training start date would be?

Apologies for the barrage of questions, I have tried to find previous answers first. Basically my current job situation is all up in the air at the moment so trying to plan a few different scenarios and the likely process and timings of my RN application.

baldie

Midshipman
And finally (for now), when it does come to AIB do applicants find out on the weekend if they have passed or not and when a training start date would be?

You will find out if you have passed and will be given an indication on if you will get a place at BRNC. The selection board sits at a later date (ask your OCLO) and you will be notified by letter either way.

jnc90

Midshipman
You will find out if you have passed and will be given an indication on if you will get a place at BRNC. The selection board sits at a later date (ask your OCLO) and you will be notified by letter either way.
Thanks for the info :) Excuse my ignorance, still getting up to speed with all the acronyms, what does OCLO stand for? Assuming it's the careers officer?

baldie

Midshipman
Yes, your OCLO is your Officer Careers Liaison Officer - usually the person who did your Career discussion etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Waspie SBS currently involved in incident off IOW (Sunday25/10/20) Current Affairs 15
MoD_RSS The VMD switchboard service is currently unavailable MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Visas extended for those currently unable to return home due to COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS VMD web services currently unavailable MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bankruptcy application currently unavailable. MoD News 0
G Any WAFUs currently working on F35 Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS News story: VMD web services currently unavailable MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: GLD are currently experiencing issues with the phone lines MoD News 0
D 56 and thinking about joining the RFA... ex infantry 12 years in, retired cop 23 years in, currently working for Scots Government as an investigator. RFA 39
soleil RAF: "Four Lightning jets of 617 Squadron Are Currently Refuelling Off The Coast Of Canada On Their Way To The UK & Their New Home Of RAF Marham." The Fleet Air Arm 5
J Finger Tattoo's. Currently being removed. Will i get turned down? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
PotentialCT Currently week 5 HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 29
M Which branch shortest waiting times currently? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 47
Hooly what campaign medals are currently being issued to Royal Navy serving members? Miscellaneous 8
dsgrnmcm Purchasing a married quarter you currently live in? Finance & Pensions 29
J Currently joining.. How has your life been in the Navy? The Quarterdeck 10
Ageing_Gracefully Book Competitions Currently Running Competitions 5
soleil Mail: "On Board Naval Destroyer HMS Liverpool, Currently Under Enemy Fire Off Libya" The Fleet 0
R Newbie :) what jobs are currently recruiting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
witsend Currently on leave Diamond Lil's 13
davemac32 Currently on leave from Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 62
left_handed_sailor Anyone here currently in 815? The Fleet Air Arm 14
S RNR Officer - Human IntelligenceI am currently a Police Offi Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
mikh Anyone Currently Serving on a pussers war canoe Site Issues 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary appoints former Chief Constable to support police recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: recruitment launch for Legal Aid Review Panel MoD News 0
G Recruitment for Weapons Engineer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
MoD_RSS New recruitment drive to help 10,000 people with serious mental illness MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment of independent members to ACOBA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 100,000 apply to join police in first year of recruitment drive MoD News 0
B Aircraft handler recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS New recruitment campaign for Windrush independent adviser MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment campaign launches for inaugural Chair of new environment watchdog MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 4,000 extra police officers to fight crime as recruitment continues MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Attorney General launches recruitment campaign for new Chief Inspector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS APHA launches recruitment campaign for plant health inspectors MoD News 0
S How are recruitment tests marked? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Third record-breaking year for GP trainee recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment director ban after £150k bonus prior to liquidation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment starts for new EHRC Chair and board members MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green light for COVID-19 trial recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Parole Board Chief Executive's blog - June 2020 recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA suspends recruitment to COVID-19 hydroxychloroquine trials MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Parole Board launches member recruitment campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 3,000 extra officers join police in recruitment drive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment for Independent Reviewer of Prevent launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Adult social care recruitment care campaign launched to boost workforce MoD News 0
L Recruitment & Coronavirus Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Sellafield Ltd Apprentice Recruitment MoD News 0
Q What is the current status on recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18