Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Current security alert

Really stupid question. Now that you can only take the bare essentials through security at airports, does that mean that you cannot purchase anything in duty free?
 

dondon

MIA
rosinacarley said:
Really stupid question. Now that you can only take the bare essentials through security at airports, does that mean that you cannot purchase anything in duty free?

Good question , don't know the answer , I would imagine that if you bought duty frees that you would have to put it in your main luggage in the aircrafts hold , what a sad world we are living in :twisted:
 
dondon said:
rosinacarley said:
Really stupid question. Now that you can only take the bare essentials through security at airports, does that mean that you cannot purchase anything in duty free?

Good question , don't know the answer , I would imagine that if you bought duty frees that you would have to put it in your main luggage in the aircrafts hold , what a sad world we are living in :twisted:

I believe at some larger airports if you are flying within the EU you can purchase at the airport on your outbound journey then pick up your goods when you land back in the UK.
 

dondon

MIA
Welshbird said:
dondon said:
rosinacarley said:
Really stupid question. Now that you can only take the bare essentials through security at airports, does that mean that you cannot purchase anything in duty free?

Good question , don't know the answer , I would imagine that if you bought duty frees that you would have to put it in your main luggage in the aircrafts hold , what a sad world we are living in :twisted:

I believe at some larger airports if you are flying within the EU you can purchase at the airport on your outbound journey then pick up your goods when you land back in the UK.

Brilliant idea , thank you Welshbird :lol: :lol:
 
dondon said:
Welshbird said:
dondon said:
rosinacarley said:
Really stupid question. Now that you can only take the bare essentials through security at airports, does that mean that you cannot purchase anything in duty free?

Good question , don't know the answer , I would imagine that if you bought duty frees that you would have to put it in your main luggage in the aircrafts hold , what a sad world we are living in :twisted:

I believe at some larger airports if you are flying within the EU you can purchase at the airport on your outbound journey then pick up your goods when you land back in the UK.

Brilliant idea , thank you Welshbird :lol: :lol:


ah happy to perform a public service ;-) I seem to spend most of my life at airports!!

from the BAA Heathrow website....

Shopping Collection
Too much to carry? Collect it on your return
BAA Shopping Collection enables you to take advantage of great shopping while you are at the airport without the need to carry your purchases with you – a real plus for bulky items or if you are worried about breakages.

You can buy as much as you like. All you need to do is tell the retailer that you want to collect your goods on your return journey, get a receipt and pick it up from the Shopping Collection points listed below:

Terminal 1 – inside the Arrivals World Duty Free Store
Terminal 2 – BAA information desk
Terminal 3 – inside the Arrivals World Duty Free Store
Terminal 4 – inside the Arrivals World Duty Free Store
Please note that the Shopping Collection service is only available to passengers travelling within the European Union (excluding UK and Ireland flights).
 

imom1406

War Hero
The concept of what some people considered "hand luggage" always used to annoy me, people were usually wearing tracksuits and had never seen a gym in their lives , but would lift their own body weight in hand luggage into the overhead bins.....Thanks Al Qieda for making air travel easier!!
 

dondon

MIA
imom1406 said:
The concept of what some people considered "hand luggage" always used to annoy me, people were usually wearing tracksuits and had never seen a gym in their lives , but would lift their own body weight in hand luggage into the overhead bins.....Thanks Al Qieda for making air travel easier!!

Spot on mate , used to piss me off as well , I hate seeing peaple in tracksuits , no Fxxxxxxxxxg standards at all ,
 
dondon said:
rosinacarley said:
Really stupid question. Now that you can only take the bare essentials through security at airports, does that mean that you cannot purchase anything in duty free?

Good question , don't know the answer , I would imagine that if you bought duty frees that you would have to put it in your main luggage in the aircrafts hold , what a sad world we are living in :twisted:

But your luggage would have been checked in by this time! I am thinking after you have been through passport control when you would normally have only your hand luggage.
 

rictic

Badgeman
I believe once you go through you can purchase what you like from duty free, Ipod booze etc... The idea is to prevent you having access to items that you had prior to going through security. The unfortunate thing is unless we do the same as the Italians have done for years, searching arriving passengers going into transit it is a waste of time.
The weakest link is the weakest point of security. i.e. any country that doesn't adhere to the same rules or corrupt personell that have access to the flightside/transit.
All it takes is one corrupt toilet cleaner, delivery driver, engineer or security guard to blast a huge whole through the entire securty program.
 

Old_Hand

Lantern Swinger
I think all the security checks/searches would already have been done before you get into the departure/duty free area. Unless that has now changed of course.
 
rictic said:
I believe once you go through you can purchase what you like from duty free, Ipod booze etc... The idea is to prevent you having access to items that you had prior to going through security. The unfortunate thing is unless we do the same as the Italians have done for years, searching arriving passengers going into transit it is a waste of time.
The weakest link is the weakest point of security. i.e. any country that doesn't adhere to the same rules or corrupt personell that have access to the flightside/transit.
All it takes is one corrupt toilet cleaner, delivery driver, engineer or security guard to blast a huge whole through the entire securty program.

Thanks mate, I was wondering because I hate travelling at the best of times. I would always need a good book and a puzzle thingy.

But you are right about the security - did you see the pics of those coming back from package hols - hand baggage up to their proverbials!
 
rictic said:
I believe once you go through you can purchase what you like from duty free, Ipod booze etc... The idea is to prevent you having access to items that you had prior to going through security. The unfortunate thing is unless we do the same as the Italians have done for years, searching arriving passengers going into transit it is a waste of time.
The weakest link is the weakest point of security. i.e. any country that doesn't adhere to the same rules or corrupt personell that have access to the flightside/transit.
All it takes is one corrupt toilet cleaner, delivery driver, engineer or security guard to blast a huge whole through the entire securty program.

Any passengers arriving at Heathrow transiting to another flight go through security search, I know because I have stood in the ridiculouly long queques ther far to often.

Peter
 

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
At the height of the security alert a lot of the shops were closed, I don't believe that the rules changes at all, ie not liquid on the plane (in the passenger space) as someone has already said you only need a terrorist working in one of the shops to pass doctored stuff over to make all of the other precautions worthless.
 

imom1406

War Hero
There are a 1000 low tech ways to bring down passenger aircraft, Islamic terrorists are strictly low tech and this is why it is difficult to weedle them out. The IRA would seem like a highly technically advanced military super power compared to half a dozen stone age fundamentalists farting about with cleaning products and fertilizer.

But the fact that they take sooo long to plan and carry out their tasks in the name of Allah....peace be upon him (TWAT). Show a lack of support in the wider Islamic community. The back room staff in and around Heathrow for example, inclusding baggage handlers , cleaners etc. are from islamic/asian backgrounds.

So think about it, if cleaners on Airoplanes have access to all its private area and carry cleaning liquids of all sorts. What is stopping them taking down a 747....answer. Loonies don't have that much support, with the exception of the British liberal press!
 
janner said:
At the height of the security alert a lot of the shops were closed, I don't believe that the rules changes at all, ie not liquid on the plane (in the passenger space) as someone has already said you only need a terrorist working in one of the shops to pass doctored stuff over to make all of the other precautions worthless.

In reality there are lots of jobs at an airport that if occupied by a terrorist would make the current security restrictions pretty pointless.

Peter
 
Banning anyone who even looks like a muslim from working in these industries would help. I know there are a few that are white nutters who have converted but not that many. The time for pc and liberal nonsense are at an end, the time has come to protect ourselves against this enemy regardless of upsetting them. To make an omlette you have to break a few eggs.
 

imom1406

War Hero
Lingyai said:
Banning anyone who even looks like a muslim from working in these industries would help. I know there are a few that are white nutters who have converted but not that many. The time for pc and liberal nonsense are at an end, the time has come to protect ourselves against this enemy regardless of upsetting them. To make an omlette you have to break a few eggs.

What, you mean like Jean Charles De Menezez?? And who will say what a muslim looks like??
 

GCYZ

Lantern Swinger
rosinacarley said:
Really stupid question. Now that you can only take the bare essentials through security at airports, does that mean that you cannot purchase anything in duty free?

Flew on friday. Restrictions only apply to items taken through security. Purchases can still be made in 'airside' shops. WH Smiths etc. where making a killing.
 
Lingyai said:
Banning anyone who even looks like a muslim from working in these industries would help. I know there are a few that are white nutters who have converted but not that many. The time for pc and liberal nonsense are at an end, the time has come to protect ourselves against this enemy regardless of upsetting them. To make an omlette you have to break a few eggs.

And precisely what does a Muslim look like?

Considering some Muslims look quite European, some look quite Indian, some look quite African, and some look quite Chinese we have now banned almost every one in the world from working in airport security, except perhaps the Eskimos, and Hitlers blonde Aryans. Next good idea?

Peter
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Speech: Collective approaches to current security issues MoD News 0
S Security Clearance Questions re current employment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
MoD_RSS Ensuring UNMiK is able to meet Kosovo’s current needs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report looking at how hateful extremists have been exploiting the current pandemic MoD News 0
A SC current employer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Q What is the current status on recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
MoD_RSS Latest results published in current account customer satisfaction survey MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Smart motorways – our current position MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM's intention to request the current session of Parliament be prorogued MoD News 0
C AIB study books - current and good Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Press release: Businesses to pay rates bills that better reflect current property values MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Troika statement on the current unrest in Sudan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Current unrest in Sudan: Troika statement, April 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Rail Review Chair says franchising cannot continue in its current form MoD News 0
Ghost29 Current operations to this day Current Affairs 16
ws1602 Resignation from current employment Joining the Royal Navy 32
T What is current affairs? Current Affairs 45
H Current waiting times - warfare specialist Joining the Royal Navy 5
S Question to any current/ex divers - Best ways to equalise? Joining the Royal Navy 4
B Hi, I recently sat my RT test and have planned to join as a Warfare Specialist does anyone know the current waiting time for joining the roll? Joining the Royal Navy 3
C Current deployments for rm commandos Joining the Royal Navy 1
F Direct entry RN Police (ex reg, current police officer) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 39
W AIB Current Royal Navy Operations Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
photface Current affairs for AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
N Current Vacancies for JO? RFA 5
K Current Standing Operations Joining the Royal Navy 1
S What Are Current Shortage Branches? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
J Current waiting list for Air engineering technician and weapons engineer ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S Current waiting list for a marine engineering role on the surface fleet? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P Current waiting times for Supply Chain Logistician + shortest waiting times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
J Current Operations Joining the Royal Navy 5
Pascal Current Affairs - Potential SIFT Questions Current Affairs 3
J Current application timeframe for Divers Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
A Confusion over the current IFT at BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
3 Current ETME waiting times both GS and SM? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
fishhead Should we relax the current drug laws Current Affairs 103
D RFA Argus and RFA Gold Rover current operations? RFA 11
dogsnaffle Current, Correct, (and most effective) Method of Joining RMR RMR 2
J Current wait time for CT? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
G RFA Current Rating Vacancies RFA 17
5oclockhero Any current or ex-RFA personnel on here? RFA 6
Stirling Current Affairs and other serious threads. Diamond Lil's 10
J Would you encourage your children to join the current Navy? The Fleet 43
2 Current locations of RFA vessels? RFA 15
Z How long does it Take at this current time from my diving medical?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
G Current waiting times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
soleil New RN Website - HMS Raleigh - Recruit Diaries Written By Current Recruits Bases / Shore Est 16
D Current Fleet Clearance Diver situation??? The Fleet 4
L Current waiting times for Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
U What's the current state of play on RNR medicals? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 11
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top