Current job and asking for time off.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by RoverDen, Oct 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys,

This is probably a question that will apply to many, but I have not come across it on these forums.

I have just started a new job after a long search! Now the thing is, I have my FAT's and AIB coming up so I will need to ask for time off. From other people's experience, what do you think is the best way to go about this? I didn't tell them that I was hoping to join the Navy, so I can't tell them of my true intentions as I would be minus a job. It is a job I would like to continue doing should I fail AIB - so doing a 'no-show' or making up lame excuses isn't really an option!

All answers welcome.
  2. Just ask for time off - if you don't want to say what you are doing, just say you are going away from the weekend.....
  3. Could you just take a few days from your annual leave?
  4. I'm in the same boat (this is starting to become a habit!). I got my AIB date through on my second day of my new job and decided to be honest from the start. I think my boss understood why I hadn't mentioned it in the interview and he simply said that if it's something I want to see through then he understands and he wouldn't stop me. Think he was glad that I told him sooner rather than later. I also preferred to tell him so I could be open with the other workers about what I want to do and chat on for hours about the RN as I know budding applicants tend to do! I also now know that if I am unsuccessful, I still have the job there waiting for me. Guess you have to try and work out how your boss is likely to react. Waffle over :)
  5. im in the exact same situation pal...

i would just ask and use something like a dentist/doctors appointment as an excuse
  6. A 3 day dentist appointment...think you need a new dentist!
  7. Hehe, a 3 day dentist appointment, I don't think they will fall for that one! StixJimboRM, I can appreciate that an officer should show courage and integrity, but it is nearly nigh on impossible to get a job at the moment if you tell them that you are hoping to join the Navy in a few months (unless it is temp work of course and I live in a rural area where there ain't a whole lot of temp work going). One has to simply avoid mentioning it in an interview.

Officer_Inland, I hope to be in the same situation as you where I can be open about it, but I will have to see how my boss is first.

Soleil, I wouldn't mind asking for holiday, but it's the fact that i've only just started. Having thought about it a little more, this is pretty much the only thing I can do, I'll just say i'm going to a friend's wedding abroad or something along those lines!
  8. Tell them you want to serve your country and to lead brave men and women in tough situations.

If you can't do that then ring AIB and step aside.
  9. what are you - the lord high and almighty

so lets say he's managed to get a final stage interview in these tough times, at the end of the interview they say "do you have any ??'s,

yes please may i have some time off to attend the AIB as i may be leaving this shitehole job to be an officer in the RN and fight for my country and queen,

goodbye temp job

get a grip on real life!!

he can have integrity and courage standing up to me when i am trying to bamboozle him into signing the jet off as servicable so i can get down the pub quicker

before you start i'm a cpo so i aint got none of them values
  10. shipmate - you keep eating the shite they turf out of collingwood or lympstone and be happy with it.

me i'll treat it as a waste of victuals and oxygen that we all think it is.

you dont get command values from a course you earn it from experience from life and the rn/rm.

tell me you ever lied/cheated and i show you a man whose in denial or your named nelson or mother theresa
  11. okay that shipmate - no hard feelings
  12. StixJimboRM, sometimes you need to tell little white lies or simply be ruthless to achieve what you want. The fact is, that not even McDonald's would accept you if you told them you would be off in a few months to join the RN (their staff turnover is bad enough as it is I have been told!). All I wanted to know really was who else is in the same situation as me (new to the job), or has been, and how they went about asking for time off - did they lie, come straight etc.
  13. But you don't start off with an awful lot of employment rights, you gain more as time progresses.

Plus in the current economic climate is also not just about whether they'd bin you or not. Companies are short of money so they won't spend training money on you unless they think they will get a good return on their investment in you. If he comes out and they reckon he'll be off in a few months then they might either not train him, or worse put in place an agreement whereby any training costs have to be repaid if he leaves within 2 years (or some such agreement). Then he's stuck in a job where he's not given any training and thus no real chance of career progression with an annoyed boss. So even if not binned his career is not in a healthy state. Given the AIB pass rate isn't close to 100% and the wait time for BRNC there is a decent chance that his employer will have over a year if not longer of service.

Plus you don't have to lie, I started work a few weeks ago and am just starting the recruitment journey, there are plenty of ways to ask for the time off without actually lying. Even if you haven't accrued the holiday yet you're definitely (well, the RN isn't going be responsible if you aren't) going to be there long enough to accrue sufficient leave for AIB.
  14. I am/was in a similar situation. I have been in my job longer and applied as a Rating. On days when i needed to go to the AFCO i just asked for annual leave, you do not need to lie and say what the leave is for, just ask for it off and leave it at that. However, i new that my Boss would have to give me reference as i put him down as one so i had little choice in telling them what i was doing but i left it until i passed my RT.

Just my two pence worth.
  15. Most employers would prefer you to be open and honest Rover, and there are several reasons

Employers know they dont have Employees for life,(including the RN) if a employer knows in advance you are leaving , they are likely to support you, it allows them to plan to replace, better, at 6 months or a year than a months notice, and it is Important to share with your co workers your success,but best of luck hope it all goes well
  16. As with any job you are not obligied to do anything other than what it states in the contract that both you and the company signed. If you move from one company to another you are not expected to give 6 months to 1 years notice so why when leaving your job to join the RN? I have been in my job 3 years now and am not planning on telling my employer that i'm joining the navy until I hand my notice in, when ever I have needed time off I just ask for a days holiday from my annual leave entitlement. I don't know other peoples circumstances but I don't think if i told my employer I was leaving they would support me.
  17. CmdKeen, you have pretty much hit the nail on the head. These are the things I was thinking about too, hence why I would rather my employer not find out I want to join the RN. Should I fail AIB, these are people I would be working with for at least the next four years, as this is how long my training contract is. I realise that in this day and age, a job isn't for life anymore and it's normal to move around a lot, but no employer likes to know they are 2nd best, or have an employee who wants away - think about it, who is the employer going to put more effort into; myself who wants away in a few months, or someone who intends to be there for the foreseeable future?