Current Fleet Clearance Diver situation???

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by DeepSeaBiker, Mar 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi i was wondering if anyone can give me any information on joining as a clearance diver? i have been working as a commercial diver for a year and a half now so i have all my HSE Diving certs and a fair bit of working dives.
    I have heard there can be a 2yr waiting list.

Any info will be apreciated

Cheers

2. Diving branch is hiring, but there's a big waiting list. 1.5 - 2.5 yrs, I'm starting in June, will have waited 1yr 7months by then. Know people who waited over 2yrs. Past certs wont help you, you'll still have to do all the training from scratch.

3. Cheers for the info, i didnt expect to skip any training because of my tickets, its just that an afco told me it might speed up the process when applying

4. I start my divers in June as well mate.

5. Given the current state of play in the RN, regards cut backs and general lack of opportunity I would advise you to stay in the commercial world. I know that civvy street diving is pretty dire at the mo, but if you can find work, stick with it, also if you can, get as many tickets as poss in civvy street, ie welding, NDT, LST, etc, it will make you more employable, much more employable than being an "ex CD"!!