Current Deployments

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by andrewclark996, Dec 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am studying for my interview and I am having trouble finding the reasons why we are deployed in certain locations

HMS Iron Duke is doing a lot of piracy and drug busting.
    HMS Monmouth is protecting Iraqi oil platforms
    Operation TELIC

I have looked at the Current Deployments Map on the Navy Website but it just shows where the ships are and not details on the reasons.

Ships around Cyprus, why?
    Saudi Arabia, why?
    Suez, why?
    Italy, again why?

If people could help me with why we are in certain locations and what we are doing there.
    I would be glad of the help.

Formal Interview on the 16th....

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Although it would not be savvy to discuss specific naval operations in a public forum, the areas you mention are common transit or operating areas for RN and NATO warships:

Italy - many bases in southern Italy/Sicily used by RN warships transiting the Mediterranean or conducting NATO alliance exercises.
    Cyprus - used a stores/fuel/decompression stop to and from the Middle East, prior to transiting the Suez Canal.
    Suez Canal - used to transit to/from the Mediterranean enroute to/from Middle East and East Africa areas.
    Saudi Arabia - within the AOR for coalition vessels conducting various operations to/from the NAG (Northern Arabian Gulf), as with many other 'friendly' Gulf States (i.e. Oman, Bahrain, Dubai, etc.).

Good luck with the interview, and welcome to RR. :thumbleft:
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Are the Falklands still used as a coaling station?