Current Affairs Help Needed Please

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by RMain, Nov 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have my AIB next week (4th December), and am struggling to get upto date with my current affairs. If anyone could name some topics and il research them would help me tremendously!! Thanks ! :thumright:

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

try anything from the broadsheets........

3. Newsnight. Widely available to all, BBC2, after the news.

4. Thanks :thumright: Can Anyone List any particular topics? ta

5. Anywhere the RN/RM has involvement is obvious - ie Iraq and Afghanistan. Also, potential hotspots with nuclear weapons such as Pakistan and Russia as a starter for 10.

6. silverfox

If you can't read or listen for yourself, and then form your own opinion - I think you might be applying for the wrong job...........

or maybe we could come and do the interview for you....

7. Are You ever actually helpful to candidates? You always seem to form some absolutely useless witty answer..

8. Witty?

Get one of the Sunday Broadsheets and read their News Review sections. Channel Four news is usually good for a bit more depth, and best of Luck.

Although currently I feel duty bound to remind you that, as I have just found out, passing the AIB does not mean you are in, it puts you through to another round of waiting!

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

10. That was a typical 'Rupert' answer. (talks bollocks and rides roughshod over others-You should fit in right away!) :threaten:

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

I was going to suggest topics but ........... now i'll suggest one only - The difference between Suni + shea Muslims in a new beginning of Iraq.

11. silverfox

Listen up sunshine, and listen good. The first lesson you would do well to learn is that of listening to those older, wiser and more experienced.

I am infinately helpful to sensible and proactive candidates and having not long left my staff post at BRNC, I can judge the ability of piotential officers pretty accurately.

The briefest perusal of some of the threads on this site will reveal that a commonly held perception of a junior officer is that of a chinless wonder, incapable of independant thought or action.

You are doing nothing to dispel this myth.

now for the last time

READ THE QUALITY NEWSPAPERS AND LISTEN/WATCH THE NEWS.

The questions at AIB will be based on your, repeat your, knowledge and understanding of all or any of current world and home affairs.

12. Thanks

13. The environment is also a popular topic i understand.

14. Listen up sunshine, and listen good. The first lesson you would do well to learn is that of listening to those older, wiser and more experienced.

I am infinately helpful to sensible and proactive candidates and having not long left my staff post at BRNC, I can judge the ability of piotential officers pretty accurately.

The briefest perusal of some of the threads on this site will reveal that a commonly held perception of a junior officer is that of a chinless wonder, incapable of independant thought or action.

You are doing nothing to dispel this myth.

now for the last time

READ THE QUALITY NEWSPAPERS AND LISTEN/WATCH THE NEWS.

The questions at AIB will be based on your, repeat your, knowledge and understanding of all or any of current world and home affairs.

Well said! Chinless wonders abound in the low eschelons of Officerdom...
    Should be more respectful in future... wonder what trade he aspires to be in, without a change of attitude he will be scuppered by the junior ranks at all turns.

RESPECT has to be earnt. Remember that!

15. silverfox

You are welcome. The most important thing is to be yourself. The AIB won't expect the finished product, because that what the training is for.

There are no staff answers for the current affairs questions - as long as you prove you know what is going on in the world, and it could be anything from the obvious Iraq/Afghanistan topics to the make up of England's qualifying group for the next World Cup.

The depth of analysis will be no more than that which you read and listen to. A knowledge of who is who in the Governmental zoo would always come in handy - ie who is Minister of State, who is Min AF etc.

Good luck and keep us posted

16. We are not all that bad, honest.

17. STILL No word of an apology coming our way???
    Typical :pukel:

18. Thats really helpful, I'm really nervous about AIB, i decided to wait a year instead of going to university to pursue this and see how it turned out. Went to visit the BRNC last Wednesday, must have been really nice living up there? Dartmouth town however took us about 2 minutes to look around!

19. Remember though, the amount of space you get is less than two sides of A4! As the margins are rediculous large (both on the sides and at the top and bottom of the page) so know your stuff, don't waffle and make sure you keep the key points in there.

Remember to include a clear beginning, a clear main body of your short essay, and a clear conclusion, even being as so mundane as to write, "In Conclusion" Sounds silly but those things are good cheap marks! And they will make the difference

20. BZ SF. We get loads of candidates applying for jobs with us, where a good knowledge of current affairs is a pre-requisite for the job. Too many don't seem to grasp that reading a broadsheet on a daily basis as against relying on newsbites on 60 Seconds, etc., is the way to aquire a knowledge of what is going on in the world. Some people claim to read the Times, only to get caught when asked probing questions about content during the interview stage.

RMain, you might find it useful to aquaint yourself with Lord Boyce's recent intervention, with the other former CoS (there are a couple of good pieces in the Sunday Times: 25.11.07) & read the original in Hansard (Lords Hansard: 22.11.07, Cols.949-952).