Current affairs for AIB

photface

Lantern Swinger
Hi all,

I have used the search function on here and there doesn't seem to be anything answering my specific question: for AIB how much scope is needed on current affairs?

For instance, do we learn all about everything going on in politics? Or do we keep to learning about current operations, conflicts, assets etc?

Thank you and sorry if it is already somewhere on the site, I just really can't find it!

-R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dnnidlc

Midshipman
From what I've read a few times on here now, current affairs & general politics are required. Not everything about politics is, but you'll need to be up to date with Donald Trump for example and what he could potentially cause, and how we're technically allies with the US, so what that would mean for the armed forces in this country. My ACLO advised this was beneficial, as they'll probe you further.

Current operations etc are vital, as they'll obviously ask what you believe the RN's role is other than a basic answer of 'protecting the country's interests'.

Apparently they don't ask about RN history any longer, but obviously general knowledge of BoTS is essential.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Hi all,

I have used the search function on here and there doesn't seem to be anything answering my specific question: for AIB how much scope is needed on current affairs?

For instance, do we learn all about everything going on in politics? Or do we keep to learning about current operations, conflicts, assets etc?

Thank you and sorry if it is already somewhere on the site, I just really can't find it!

-R

Being nautical --- Current "Affairs" could be the Deep Ocean Drifter having an Upwelling with Coreolis

Branch-Hopper

Lantern Swinger
Thank you for your answer. It's what I am reading now so all good stuff!
Newspapers (NB The Sun is not a newspaper, despite it's support for troops). Times, Telegraph, Guardian (for an "alternative" opinion.
Navy News
Watch BBC

Be prepared for questions starting "why.........?"

photface

Lantern Swinger
Newspapers (NB The Sun is not a newspaper, despite it's support for troops). Times, Telegraph, Guardian (for an "alternative" opinion.
Navy News
Watch BBC

Be prepared for questions starting "why.........?"
I wouldn't be caught dead reading The Sun! I have subscribed to the week and I check BBC news already. I just wanted to know how in depth to go. I guess if I can form an opinion it should be acceptable!

Current affairs knowledge is mainly useful for the essay.

This may help. If you are going through AFCO they show you this before you go anyway.

I could give you lots more help and personal experience but I'm afraid that's just not in the spirit of the AIB. If you are committed to this then it will happen - hopefully first time, maybe second attempt. Best of luck.

photface

Lantern Swinger
I did see that :), thank you. I'm quite happy studying on my own...just wanted to know I wasn't going into so much depth I was taking away from other practice I need to do such as SDT and planex, psychometric tests and fitness.