Cummings (and goings)

slim

War Hero
Iconic British bike, lovely to look at but can be a right sod to start.
My mate has one, a real head turner but one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever ridden.
A good investment though, he paid £4,500 for his six years ago. Value now? Around twelve or thirteen grand!
I had an Aerial red hunter (but it was black) big single cylinder 500cc machine.
Starting was a piece of piss so long as you managed to set:
1 Choke in correct position
2 Ignition forward and advance lever correct position.
3 When depressing the kick start remember to follow all the way through
Oh sometimes the decompression lever was useful. :)

Wish I owned it now :(

taffscrivs

War Hero
BSA C15 what a bag of shit. Next bike Suzuki Super Six, the legendary ton up 250. They wouldn't quite hit 100mph, but good for about 94. Sold it when I joined up, should have kept it. Part own one of it's descendants now, Suzuki X7 250 race bike. Always had bikes from around 12 years of age.

rumtubb

Badgeman
You must be joking BSA Bantam two stroke. keep the plug clean and it would start every time. Looking at the lack of rear suspension I reckon that was a pre 1950 model
951 BSA D1 Bantam 125cc
I’m always wary when people have dogmatic opinions about motorcycles, and that applies whether they are unreasonably critical of other riders’ mounts, or unquestioningly convinced that the sun shines out of their chosen model’s exhaust pipe. So when someone informs me that BSA Bantams are the best things since sliced bread, I have to ask when they last rode one, and 99 times out of 100, they either haven’t been astride one for decades, or they’ve never ridden one at all. Well, I’ve owned and ridden Bantams of various types – from a 125cc D1 that never ran properly (being given it for nothing should have alerted my suspicions…) to a 175cc D10 that needed to be driven harder than seemed decent for 40-year-old machinery – and their only relationship to sliced bread was that they were mass produced and cheap.

taffscrivs

War Hero
951 BSA D1 Bantam 125cc
I’m always wary when people have dogmatic opinions about motorcycles, and that applies whether they are unreasonably critical of other riders’ mounts, or unquestioningly convinced that the sun shines out of their chosen model’s exhaust pipe. So when someone informs me that BSA Bantams are the best things since sliced bread, I have to ask when they last rode one, and 99 times out of 100, they either haven’t been astride one for decades, or they’ve never ridden one at all. Well, I’ve owned and ridden Bantams of various types – from a 125cc D1 that never ran properly (being given it for nothing should have alerted my suspicions…) to a 175cc D10 that needed to be driven harder than seemed decent for 40-year-old machinery – and their only relationship to sliced bread was that they were mass produced and cheap.
The money the humble Bantam will fetch nowadays is unbelievable.They are now quite a collectors item. Their engines were a copy of a prewar German DKW design and were outdated before BSA (among others) started to use them. They were cheap and pretty crappy but thousands of British workers rode them to work day in day out until they were about knackered and then us kids got hold of them and hammered hell out of them 'til they died. We got pretty good at rebuilding 'Bants' back in the day and I've got a 175cc D14 engine apart on my bench right now, rebuilding it as a trials engine with a few trick parts.

Last edited:

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
I see you have been awarded a DUMB from our resident ******** Witsend.
Wear it with pride, anything that pisses him orf is OK by the rest of us :)
Will do old pal. I think he's found a full bottle of Lever's pills.
Would that be a BSA Goldstar by any chance? That would make me really happy! I've always wanted one but could never afford the sky high price...
A beezer Goldie, you are obviously a man with impeccably good taste :)
Iconic British bike, lovely to look at but can be a right sod to start.
My mate has one, a real head turner but one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever ridden.
A good investment though, he paid £4,500 for his six years ago. Value now? Around twelve or thirteen grand!
View attachment 58569
Difficult to start BSA bikes? This one was near bloody impossible most of the time.
Is that you lads finished? @slim if you want to get things off your chest, start a thread or use the hundreds of others. Bring your friends.

Can’t believe Norman is White Knighting :rolleyes:

slim

War Hero
Is that you lads finished? @slim if you want to get things off your chest, start a thread or use the hundreds of others. Bring your friends.

Can’t believe Norman is White Knighting :rolleyes:
So we have thread drift.
Pretty standard on here.
If all you can do is mank about it so be it.
The rest of us will just get on and enjoy each others comments