Cultural genocide ?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by hobbit, Jul 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Many people in the Western world are asking and wondering what is happening to their respective countries and way of life yet it is so obvious and insidious they are unable to deal with it . This link is an example perhaps of how the war is being fought and won . China and Tibet is probably the most obvious example of this process , Cultural Genocide , comparitively bloodless , the blood flows later. Fascinating to observe , inevitable and ruthless as any physical genocide and possiblly more effective .
  2. Yep ,I can just see the reaction if one of these Melbourne muslim cabbies gives such propaganda to some of the lads he has just picked up outside Hosies or Young and Jacksons, en route to their ship at Station Pier. They'd probably find him and his taxi on the bottom of the bay. :threaten:
  3. I think many would disagree with the assessment that the subjugation of Tibet was bloodless.
  4. "Comparitively bloodless" compared with instances of the real genocide but you are absolutely correct , the move was far from being completely bloodless .
  5. How do you get from DVD's to cultural genocide Hobbit?

How do you get, from Cabbies distributing garbage, to the end of days?

I'd be interested in hearing this.

6. I believe it would be pointless trying to explain PTP so just disregard the thread as long as it doesn't break the rules of the site .
  7. How do you reconcile the article with the destruction of the indigenous culture in Australia by the incoming anglo and european cultures even up to the 1960s?
  8. At least Jehovah's knock on doors...[​IMG]

In America they call it the war between Culture Warriors and Secular Progressives, the right against the left supposedly, I think IMHO a lot of this has to do with PC gone wild.... :afro:
  9. No it wouldn't , I'm seriously interested in how you got to that.

So rather than make a statement and refuse to back it up , why not explain it?

The stage is yours Hobbit.
  10. Am I alone in thinking that the term 'genocide' is inappropriate in this context as it devalues the term Genocide and the experiences of those subjected to it? (I'm sure that may not be the intention of those who talk of 'cultural genocide', although I suspect some of the more politically motivated would have no qualms, but it's just a thought)

For those interested in 'culture wars' (as they used to be known) I would recommend Frances Stonor Saunders' (1999) Who Paid The Piper: The CIA and the Cultural Cold War. Ldn: Granta.

During the Cold War, writers and artists were faced with a huge challenge. In the Soviet world, they were expected to turn out works that glorified militancy, struggle and relentless optimism. In the West, freedom of expression was vaunted as liberal democracy's most cherished possession. But such freedom could carry a cost. This book documents the extraordinary energy of a secret campaign in which some of the most vocal exponents of intellectual freedom in the West were instruments - whether they knew it or not, whether they liked it or not - of America's secret service.

Hardback copies are available via sellers on for £4.97.
  11. My thoughts exactly Harry. Having seen the aftermath of 'proper' Genocide , it's not a term I agree with used in this context.

Perhaps Hobbit can explain exactly what he means.
  12. Hobbit. You might want to check the Link you posted. I think it may have mutated to something different to your original intention. It currently points to taxi borne ragheads dishing out pro extreme Islamic DVDs to civilised Ockers. I suspect that your original aim was to expose Chinese subjugation of Tibetan culture.