Culdrose v Yeovil -One base for the Grey Fleet

Geoff_Wessex

Lantern Swinger
buffer01 said:
Mind you, I've never really been that keen on Counties without Motorways in them. Cornwall is one, and I think Norfolk is the other one. Mmmmm?
Dorset doesn't have one and I don't think Suffolk has either.

buffer01

Lantern Swinger
Moving away from the point here. I wasn't aware of any FAA Bases in the counties that the people who have corrected my geographically challenged mind. (Doesn't the M27 start in Dorset?)

So are we all agreed that we're moving to Surf City? Or, if your a stimper, and want fixed wing in the future, Lossie/Leuchars?

fido

MIA
toscababy said:
oh yeh on the LEAN thingy I think there calling that value stream analysis now, another way to justify some officers job and get his boss a promotion i suspect.
Toscababy,

We used to call it 'Critical Path Analysis' - different name: same process - designed to do more with less!

fido

ex_wasp_L2

Lantern Swinger
Buffer01 wrote "Moving away from the point here. I wasn't aware of any FAA Bases in the counties that the people who have corrected my geographically challenged mind. (Doesn't the M27 start in Dorset?)"

The M27 starts and stops within the county boundaries of Hampshire (Cadnam to Pompey or vice versa depending on your direction of travel). I know Moray (as a native of that county) had an FAA base RNAS Lossiemouth (HMS Fulmar), as I went to college with the last sailor there before the crabs took the base over.

junglyAEO

Midshipman
I seem to remember saying (back in 95) that Lynx should go straight to CU as they closed Portland, but no-one was interested in the ramblings of a past over GOM.

Of course all of the FLEET units should congregate in one base - then that bit could be called the FAA and the zoomies and junglies bugger off to the RAF and Army. Oh no, that might mean the end of the FAA though!

Still, the one bit you'rr all missing is FLynx. There won't be enough cabs to go round, so the Army and RN Lynx fleets are going to have to be co-located, in oder to make best use of the assets. It'll probably only have one training squadron though. Who knows, they might even get really sensible and overturn "rec 40" and have the depth hub back from Fleetlands.

crabtastic

If only the crabs' loss in manpower was going to have any effect, they've had it too good for too long and the personnel "losses" are what they've had coming to them. From what I've seen they have far too many people doing nothing - I have little sympathy. The crabs look after their people better but that means they drip like hell when they suffer any form of hardship. From my advantageous spying position as a solitary matelot deep in crab land most of the redundancies are SACs (ABs in real speak)...and I heard a nasty rumour that the RAF are now looking to introduce the OM...

toscababy

crabtastic said:
If only the crabs' loss in manpower was going to have any effect, they've had it too good for too long and the personnel "losses" are what they've had coming to them. From what I've seen they have far too many people doing nothing - I have little sympathy. The crabs look after their people better but that means they drip like hell when they suffer any form of hardship. From my advantageous spying position as a solitary matelot deep in crab land most of the redundancies are SACs (ABs in real speak)...and I heard a nasty rumour that the RAF are now looking to introduce the OM...
Iwould love to know which air force you have the advantageous position in because it is obviously not the Royal one, as the latest and third tranche of redundancies is the first that they have asked for SAC's/JTs in, and then only around 500. And they are introducing the AMM not the OM!!!!!!

chieftiff

War Hero
Only 300 SAC/JT's from the aircraft eng tech branch, and AMM's aren't being introduced, they are here and have been for almost a year!

Having been blessed by being stationed at four RNAS Bases in my career in can safely say my favorite is definitly Deadalus, even if it was only during trade training. Seahawk was a damn good draft when i was single has it has the better social life, even if you take into account some of the crocadilapigs that frequent the Barn or Twighlight Zone, but then again Heron was good for the travelling (was the most central Base until 2004).
Now that we have Cott/Witt i have no problem comutting everday only two draw backs to Cott/Witt is that you have to listen to the crabs manging about the navy all the time and i have to go home to CinCNavHome every night. The crabs don't like us calling Cottesmore a RNAS, but as matelots are now starting to equal the ammount of sidewalkers lets us give it a ships title.

KATWEEZIL

Lantern Swinger
Having been blessed by being stationed at four RNAS Bases in my career in can safely say my favorite is definitly Deadalus, even if it was only during trade training. Seahawk was a damn good draft when i was single has it has the better social life, even if you take into account some of the crocadilapigs that frequent the Barn or Twighlight Zone, but then again Heron was good for the travelling (was the most central Base until 2004).
Now that we have Cott/Witt i have no problem comutting everday only two draw backs to Cott/Witt is that you have to listen to the crabs manging about the navy all the time and i have to go home to CinCNavHome every night. The crabs don't like us calling Cottesmore a RNAS, but as matelots are now starting to equal the ammount of sidewalkers lets us give it a ships title.
...You know, the best thing to do would be to get rid of base titles and just call them "Royal Military Establishments" or something like that. Then Have the Admin Part of what ever service is in residence like in in HMNB Clyde = the Admin is called HMS Neptune. Therefore you could have
Royal Military Establishment Lossiemouth in 2012 (Allegedly) have RAF Lossiemouth and HMS Fulmar (or whatever)

God i'm bored

Bisley

War Hero
Instead of arguing bewteen ourselves over who is best and i fly the nicest helicopter/crab converted GR7/9 we should be fighting for our existence. As was pointed out junglies go to army, zoomies to crabs and lynx can be the FAA. Really. One more step to civillianisation. The SAR is already in process of being contracted out. 702/815 use to have alot of civillians (RN sponsored by Serco) working on them. Soon they will all be civillianised and we can all become OM(AET)'s or warfare officer's with minor additional flying duties. Tri service integration doesn't work and can be seen up north now. The only people who seem to think it does are the ones lokking for another gold ring. I am I just being cynical in my old age

KATWEEZIL

Lantern Swinger
Bisley said:
Instead of arguing bewteen ourselves over who is best and i fly the nicest helicopter/crab converted GR7/9 we should be fighting for our existence. As was pointed out junglies go to army, zoomies to crabs and lynx can be the FAA. Really. One more step to civillianisation. The SAR is already in process of being contracted out. 702/815 use to have alot of civillians (RN sponsored by Serco) working on them. Soon they will all be civillianised and we can all become OM(AET)'s or warfare officer's with minor additional flying duties. Tri service integration doesn't work and can be seen up north now. The only people who seem to think it does are the ones lokking for another gold ring. I am I just being cynical in my old age
...You’re forgetting something. The Crabs don’t want to go to sea. If you don’t believe me then check here. It makes sense to me to have the dark blue operating Harrier/JSF purely because it streamlines the support system. And then again you can also look at the history of not just the UK but other countries

Fleet Air Arm of the RAF – Formed 1918, Squadrons manned 90% RAF and 10% RN (Observers). By 1921 Manning had changed to 75% RN and 25% RAF – Why? because a certain AVM Trenchard had decreed that Carrier Flying was too dangerous and his people DID NOT WANT TO GO TO SEA.

Italian Navy – Recently had to fight to get their own parliamentary law changed so they could operate Harriers at sea. The Italian Air Force seemingly has the responsibility of all fixed wing aviation but THEY DO NOT WANT TO GO TO SEA.

Brazilian Navy – Same as the Italains, Had to get their own laws changed. The Airforce operated Trackers off of Minas Gerias but were mainly crewed by BN Aircrew because the Brazilian Airforce Aircrew DID NOT WANT TO GO TO SEA.

Conclusion – The Crabs don’t want to go to sea, Why should they? Fair enough in times of crisis and war but regular cruises? I wonder how these lads and lasses are getting on in JFH/JHC and I wonder what the recruitment and retention figures are?

Also do you think that the AAC could keep a fleet of knackered Seakings in the air?

Only just joined the site after speaking to a reservist who put me onto it. Have read all the "crab invective" about us on the sister site and think they need to redress their attitudes. From bitter experience and several crash sites, I can say their crash and smash teams are not of the same ilk as ours, they use three times as much manpower to do the simplest of tasks and they WALK funny. We have a long tradition in the FAA of a"can do" attitude, whereas theirs seems to be "maybe, if we get the hotel we want" So they don't want to go onboard ship. They signed for the Queens shilling, so tough. No ship time... no pay! Simple really! And the comment from one of them that he had more shiptime than the RN guy he was talking to.....get a life. That happens to us, my oppo has had less seatime than I have, should I gripe to drafty? They'll not want to go into theatre soon...too primitive! When I was at a well known Crab camp in Newquay during a Tachevalex they had a Sergeant in charge of the WASHING MACHINES! I SHIT you not!! Good start, 1 posting, 1 rant! LOL

Bisley

War Hero
Katweezil are you trying to point out that they "DID NOT WANT TO GO TO SEA"

As for that link you provided it just proves what a bunch of ignorant clueless tossers crabs are. Do they really think the matelots want to work them also. Their egos are bigger than thier overpaid salaries. Apart from that if they were not around who would look after the washing machines

KATWEEZIL

Lantern Swinger
Bisley,

I couldn't agree with you more, and you've only to look at attrition rates within all three services to find that (for britain's "premier" Air service) the RAF Losses are outragously high compared with the FAA who have more valid reasons for losing more aircraft.

But the point i'm trying to make is that they (the Front line guys anyway) are of the mindset that it is not there job to go to sea or live in trenches. In a way I can understand this after all it's not what they sighned up for. and I think it would be better for the crabs if they got out of JFH, Gave the RN their share of the A/C but keep the Support and Training systems Common. Same with JHC.

Bisley

War Hero
KATWEEZIL said:
Bisley,

I couldn't agree with you more, and you've only to look at attrition rates within all three services to find that (for britain's "premier" Air service) the RAF Losses are outragously high compared with the FAA who have more valid reasons for losing more aircraft.

But the point i'm trying to make is that they (the Front line guys anyway) are of the mindset that it is not there job to go to sea or live in trenches. In a way I can understand this after all it's not what they sighned up for. and I think it would be better for the crabs if they got out of JFH, Gave the RN their share of the A/C but keep the Support and Training systems Common. Same with JHC.
Are but that would be too easy :D I agree with what you say and i have heard so many people ask why move all zoomies upto cott/witt when south dis at yeovilton was geared up for them. Has this move saved money. Doubt it. Has it caused resent between the 2 services. Oh yes 8O
I agree that if i was a crab i would hate having to go to sea. But the powers that be have created this bollocks joint force. The best way as you say give the FAA there share and send back home. Let the crabs have their world and navy ours.