Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Culdrose v Yeovil -One base for the Grey Fleet

Fair enough Toscababy, 8000 souls out of how many? And after how many years? And the Roger Nigel has parred to the bone, and then some. And lets not forget LEAN. I was even at a brief when they've admitted that LEAN, IS a cost cutting exercise. Incidentely, do people know that the Elmer J's are going away from lean, as its making them fat and lazy.

But thats getting away from the point. There's loads of building going on at VL, so it looks like, with current form (Osprey), they'll be shutting it. Surf Sand and Fog, here we all come then.

Mind you, I've never really been that keen on Counties without Motorways in them. Cornwall is one, and I think Norfolk is the other one. Mmmmm?

buffer01 said:
Fair enough Toscababy, 8000 souls out of how many? And after how many years? And the Roger Nigel has parred to the bone, and then some. And lets not forget LEAN. I was even at a brief when they've admitted that LEAN, IS a cost cutting exercise. Incidentely, do people know that the Elmer J's are going away from lean, as its making them fat and lazy.

But thats getting away from the point. There's loads of building going on at VL, so it looks like, with current form (Osprey), they'll be shutting it. Surf Sand and Fog, here we all come then.

Mind you, I've never really been that keen on Counties without Motorways in them. Cornwall is one, and I think Norfolk is the other one. Mmmmm?
see i must be attracted to them there counties cause moray doesnt have a motorway either, but it is a nice place to live and work with friendly locals, just like cornwall

oh yeh on the LEAN thingy I think there calling that value stream analysis now, another way to justify some officers job and get his boss a promotion i suspect.

buffer01 said:
Dorset doesn't have one and I don't think Suffolk has either.

Moving away from the point here. I wasn't aware of any FAA Bases in the counties that the people who have corrected my geographically challenged mind. (Doesn't the M27 start in Dorset?)

So are we all agreed that we're moving to Surf City? Or, if your a stimper, and want fixed wing in the future, Lossie/Leuchars?

toscababy said:
oh yeh on the LEAN thingy I think there calling that value stream analysis now, another way to justify some officers job and get his boss a promotion i suspect.

Toscababy,

We used to call it 'Critical Path Analysis' - different name: same process - designed to do more with less!

fido

Buffer01 wrote "Moving away from the point here. I wasn't aware of any FAA Bases in the counties that the people who have corrected my geographically challenged mind. (Doesn't the M27 start in Dorset?)"

The M27 starts and stops within the county boundaries of Hampshire (Cadnam to Pompey or vice versa depending on your direction of travel). I know Moray (as a native of that county) had an FAA base RNAS Lossiemouth (HMS Fulmar), as I went to college with the last sailor there before the crabs took the base over.

I seem to remember saying (back in 95) that Lynx should go straight to CU as they closed Portland, but no-one was interested in the ramblings of a past over GOM.

Of course all of the FLEET units should congregate in one base - then that bit could be called the FAA and the zoomies and junglies bugger off to the RAF and Army. Oh no, that might mean the end of the FAA though!

Still, the one bit you'rr all missing is FLynx. There won't be enough cabs to go round, so the Army and RN Lynx fleets are going to have to be co-located, in oder to make best use of the assets. It'll probably only have one training squadron though. Who knows, they might even get really sensible and overturn "rec 40" and have the depth hub back from Fleetlands.

If only the crabs' loss in manpower was going to have any effect, they've had it too good for too long and the personnel "losses" are what they've had coming to them. From what I've seen they have far too many people doing nothing - I have little sympathy. The crabs look after their people better but that means they drip like hell when they suffer any form of hardship. From my advantageous spying position as a solitary matelot deep in crab land most of the redundancies are SACs (ABs in real speak)...and I heard a nasty rumour that the RAF are now looking to introduce the OM...

crabtastic said:
If only the crabs' loss in manpower was going to have any effect, they've had it too good for too long and the personnel "losses" are what they've had coming to them. From what I've seen they have far too many people doing nothing - I have little sympathy. The crabs look after their people better but that means they drip like hell when they suffer any form of hardship. From my advantageous spying position as a solitary matelot deep in crab land most of the redundancies are SACs (ABs in real speak)...and I heard a nasty rumour that the RAF are now looking to introduce the OM...
Iwould love to know which air force you have the advantageous position in because it is obviously not the Royal one, as the latest and third tranche of redundancies is the first that they have asked for SAC's/JTs in, and then only around 500. And they are introducing the AMM not the OM!!!!!!

Only 300 SAC/JT's from the aircraft eng tech branch, and AMM's aren't being introduced, they are here and have been for almost a year!

Having been blessed by being stationed at four RNAS Bases in my career in can safely say my favorite is definitly Deadalus, even if it was only during trade training. Seahawk was a damn good draft when i was single has it has the better social life, even if you take into account some of the crocadilapigs that frequent the Barn or Twighlight Zone, but then again Heron was good for the travelling (was the most central Base until 2004).
Now that we have Cott/Witt i have no problem comutting everday only two draw backs to Cott/Witt is that you have to listen to the crabs manging about the navy all the time and i have to go home to CinCNavHome every night. The crabs don't like us calling Cottesmore a RNAS, but as matelots are now starting to equal the ammount of sidewalkers lets us give it a ships title.

Latest Threads