Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Culdrose and Yeovilton

D

Deleted 58790

Is Culdrose and Yeovilton being kept going as closing them would cause economic ruin for the area and its inhabitants?
I remember when St Merryn closed--HMS Vulture --a name the wrens hated- there was much concern that the local economy would collapse. A meat processing plant moved in so many local jobs were saved.
But what of the remaining two ?
How long can they be artificially sustained?
I have been to Culdrose once when my wife was there for a few days writing a report on the newly established sanitary towel incinerators in the wrens quarters.

D

Deleted 58790

RAF St Mawgan?
Newquay!!
If you don't know it have a look and compare it with the delights of Helston and Yeovil, Comparisons can be odious however.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
RAF St Mawgan?
Newquay!!
If you don't know it have a look and compare it with the delights of Helston and Yeovil, Comparisons can be odious however.
What on earth are you on about now? VL and CU are a complete difference to St Mawgan.

Oh, yeah. You’re a complete and utter ****.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
RAF St Mawgan?
Newquay!!
I've lived in Cornwall over 40 years, I do know them, thankyou. Newquay wouldn't be able to take them all as it's too small, also it would have to share with commercial. The rest of it, RAF St Mawgan doesn't have any flying squadrons, in fact the RMP have taken over some of it.

Do some research first, you can then answer your own questions.

D

Deleted 58790

Them all!
You aver that the might of the current West Country AA would engulf the availability of size and facilities St mawgan has to offer, You are fooling yourself notwithstanding 40 years servitude in Cornwall. It could well cope. The commercial side of it would need to go elsewhere. Culdrose sports a runway some 1 and a half miles long .When was that last used?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Them all!
You aver that the might of the current West Country AA would engulf the availability of size and facilities St mawgan has to offer, You are fooling yourself notwithstanding 40 years servitude in Cornwall. It could well cope. The commercial side of it would need to go elsewhere. Culdrose sports a runway some 2 and a half miles long .When was that last used?
Have you just had a skeg at a BINA?
@Waspie will probably know my drift.

Oh, I nearly forgot......

You’re a complete twat.

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
@robert2
Have a google of what aircraft operate from Culdrose. You might be in for a surprise.

There have been many occasions when I have been sat at the traffic lights at lunchtime waiting as the jets have been doing touch and goes and ATC haven't turned the lights green again.

Many tourist have been in for a shock after buying houses after viewing them in August and then finding they are located under the runway flight path when the airfield comes back from summer leave.

St mawgan is not a active RAF airfield having sold the airfield and runway to Cornwall County Council who have turned it to Newquay Airport.

Waspie

War Hero
Since when did CU have a 2.5 mile runway??? Try 1800metres!!!

RAF Wadington has the longest MILITARY runway in the country at 1.7 miles!!!

R2 you do talk some bollox!!!!

Oh, an add on!

HMS Gannet at Prestwick airport in Ayrshire operated a military unit at a civilian airfield.
In fact, I never ever understood why Prestwick wasn't used as the main West Coast airport, (ie over Glasgow). Pwk's weather was way better than Glasgows, It was big enough to take all major heavy civilian and military aircraft. American MAC even operated out of it.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
@robert2 , the others of the FAA variety on here have explained in greater detail than I why you are talking rubbish.

My time in Cornwall isn't servitude, I chose to live here and quite like it except when elderly buffoons like yourself snarl up the roads in your underpowered cars dragging tin tents behind you.

Waspie

War Hero
I just love the comment in post 1 from our R2. He's spent a few days there in the dark past and he feels competent enough to comment on operational qualities today!!!

Priceless!!!

I worked there when it was a Junglie base, then trained as aircrew there, but hey - he quite obviously knows so much more than everyone else who has served at the base.

I note also it was his wife that was 'working' there too. Writing on sanitary towel incinerators!!! Well we can all see that he still gives her much to write about!!!!!

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I guess as I have only spent two thirds of my career there my time is eclipsed by his one visit to see the Tampax towers incinerator.

Chris P

Lantern Swinger
I think he's totally confused, talking out of his arse might be better than the shit ..er brown stuff coming out of his mouth!!

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Sorry mate, BINA not a term I'm familiar with. I left in 92 and can't recollect it!!!
No worries. It’s a ‘Flight Information Publication’ for British Isles and North Atlantic.

Had to think about that myself for a bit and I’ve only been out 12 years.

Waspie

War Hero
No worries. It’s a ‘Flight Information Publication’ for British Isles and North Atlantic.

Had to think about that myself for a bit and I’ve only been out 12 years.
Ahh gotcha. Part of what we refered to as FLIPS, flight information publications!!! Or in my lingo, the little red book!!! We carried so bloody many!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Sports at Yeovilton and Culdrose Joining the Royal Navy 3
Walter_white RNAS Yeovilton and RNAS culdrose Summer leave Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose: Lt Cdr Andrew ‘Tank’ Murray Clocks In Excess Of A Year – A Staggering 8,760 Hours - In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 31
soleil Falmouth Packet: "RNAS Culdrose Make Thousands Of PPE Face Masks For Care Workers" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Face Of The Base: The Culdrose Crew Always On Call" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose: "820 Naval Air Squadron Training In The Mist" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Forces Network: "RNAS Culdrose Leads Royal Navy Drone Research" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose "The Game On Every (Naval) Aviator’s Christmas List." The Fleet Air Arm 17
A Culdrose- Britain's busiest SAR base. The Fleet Air Arm 8
soleil West Briton: "Cornish Sailors From Culdrose Remember Those Killed On The Somme" The Fleet Air Arm 0
W Unhappy son at Culdrose The Fleet Air Arm 128
soleil West Briton: "RNAS Culdrose Sailors Thank Shoppers For RNRMC Donations" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Culdrose Crew Describe Night Rescue Of Fishermen During Storm" The Fleet Air Arm 11
soleil Scilly Today: "Navy Looking For Stories From People Rescued By Culdrose Helicopter" The Fleet Air Arm 1
M moving to Yeovil or Culdrose? Nearest & Dearest 63
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Culdrose 'Tank' Is One Of Navy's Top Fliers" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil RNAS Culdrose Air Day 2013 - Wednesday, 24th July 2013 The Fleet Air Arm 17
trelawney126 Culdrose Matelots upset the Birds The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil "Sailors From Culdrose Help Brew Beer To Mark 60 Years Of RN Search And Rescue" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil ThisIsTheWestCountry: "Culdrose Squadron Marks 60 Years Of Continual Service" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Falmouth Pkt: "Cornish Pirates Players Put Through Their Paces By Culdrose Trainers" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil "Navy's First Female Senior Observer Reaches Another Milestone At RNAS Culdrose" The Fleet Air Arm 7
trelawney126 Culdrose busy Lunatic Hunting The Fleet Air Arm 13
trelawney126 BZ SAR Culdrose The Fleet Air Arm 14
MoD_RSS DIO delivers final bed space at Culdrose Current Affairs 10
MoD_RSS Busy holiday season for Culdrose rescue crews Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS RNAS Culdrose team deploys on counter-piracy operation Current Affairs 2
trelawney126 Culdrose Cabs in Norway for Exercises Current Affairs 1
soleil The One Show, Live From RNAS Culdrose - Friday, May 18th 2012 - 1900-2000 The Fleet Air Arm 29
S Culdrose The Gash Barge 10
MoD_RSS RNAS Culdrose to welcome Olympic Flame into UK Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS SSVC Forces Cinemas go digital at Culdrose Current Affairs 2
scouse Culdrose Airday 2012 Cancelled The Fleet Air Arm 8
B RNAS Culdrose SCC and URNU 0
soleil Cornwall Community News: "Culdrose Bleu" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Navy News: "Forking Good Deed By Culdrose Fliers" The Fleet Air Arm 6
MoD_RSS Year's busiest week for Culdrose Search and Rescue Current Affairs 1
A AET's at Culdrose? Bases / Shore Est 0
MoD_RSS Project landmark reached at Culdrose Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Junior Ratings move into their new home at RNAS Culdrose Current Affairs 12
soleil Navy News: "Crowds - And Clouds - At A Rain-Affected Culdrose Air Day" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Navy News: "Culdrose Welcomes The New Avengers" The Fleet Air Arm 16
soleil Thisisthewestcountry: "Culdrose Shooting Team Are Top Of The Shots" The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil BBC Cornwall: "RNAS Culdrose Merlin Helicopters On NATO Exercise" The Fleet Air Arm 1
Patrick Travel to HMS Seahawk (RNAS Culdrose) Diamond Lil's 6
Patrick Summer Leave @ 824/Culdrose The Fleet Air Arm 5
U CULDROSE SEA KING SQUADRONS IN AFGHANISTAN Current Affairs 7
soleil BBC: Culdrose Search And Rescue Privatisation Plans Continue The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil RNAS Culdrose On Course To Meet PM's Energy-Saving Challenge The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil "Royal Visit For Sea King Force At Culdrose" The Fleet Air Arm 0