Culdrose Airday 2012 Cancelled

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Jan 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heard this yesterday. It's a fair call.

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. I heard it was because of the breast implants thing. The Government said to get rid of all the useless tits and all the Woo's ran away and hid.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bet none of the lads are disappointed, Panyo!
  4. Strange cancelling because of runway repair. CU has defo more than one runway or is the plan to refurb all? If so then a few tax payers hard earned will be payed out this year. Especially as CU is a dedicated Helo base. If not solely RW then surely the FW could migrate to VL.

Why not have a purely RW air day. Nah!!! Methinks this is the start of one Naval Air Day per year. VL - 2012, CU - 2013 then bi-annually at the two air stations there after. :thumbup:

That is my theory and I'm sticking to it!!!!! :boogie: You know it makes sense - $$$$$$
  5. The subsidiary runway refurbishment will render large parts of the airfield unusable. 12/30 has already been done. FW do operate from CU daily with numerous Hawk moves and the Kingair (Jetstream replacement) Released to service in April.

It's been known for a while that Air Day at CU is dead, the annuncement is no surprise. There are a number of rumours doing the rounds as to why Airday 2012 is cancelled but I wouldn't bes surprised if CU never holds one again, the majority have been a major washout in the last few years, 2011 was an unmitigated disaster.

It is sad to see it go but to be honest VL and CU airdays are not a patch on what they once were anyway, not by a country mile.
  6. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

I went the the Airday at Culdrose a few years back whilst on holiday in St Ives. I thought it was quite good. The Iranian display team were good, and not only because the little planes they had could be tumbled around like paper aeroplanes... more because the commentator was quite insistent that "they are here to strengthen the bonds of friendship, unity and peace between our two nations". My dad and I found that quite funny. That, and the air display was done to "Flying Without Wings" without any hint of irony whatsoever.
  7. Airday cancelled!:eek:

you lucky lucky bstrds:blob5:

When I was in I used to hate the fckn things=-(
  8. Agreed mate. When it used to be cheap and cheerful, bring your kids for an ice-cream, watch the displays and have a go on the fairground, it was much more fun and arguably more successful. Around the mid-90's it started to go all commercial and corporate sponsored (and expensive) and it went shit. The weather hasn't helped CU though. 2006-2010 were complete wash-outs.