Cuba Question

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
BR 8587 (Leave and Travel Regulations) Article 0109 states that:

Serving personnel are not to proceed on leave to be spent outside the EC without first obtaining the permission of their CO. Such permission is subject to restrictions imposed by DNSy.

Personnel taking leave abroad will receive no assistance from the MOD. In particular the Ministry will accept no liability for medical expenses incurred abroad on leave including repatriation.
If you have an ISG account or access to the Defence Intranet I can PM you the web address for BR 8587 and also DNSy.

Thanks SPB, I do have an IGS account but am at home this week.
I'm sure that someone at my place of work would be quite well genned up on these regulations but the Intraweb reference would be much appreciated.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
JG: Just got off the 'phone to the WOMAA at DNSy regarding your enquiry and he informed me that Cuba has now been taken off the list of restricted countries. Therefore my reference to BR 8587 above is no longer appropriate. You can now travel to Cuba without permission from your CO.

However he did advise that there does remain a possible threat to British/Western nationals in Cuba, and that you should take the usual necessary personal security measures that you and your family would normally do when travelling in any foreign country (don't draw attention to yourself, overtly advertise that you are Forces, Sharkwatch, etc.)

Hope that helps.

wet_blobby

War Hero
Jimmy - Green, does it have to be Cuba you visit or is it that part off the world and Cuba has some good deals? I only ask because I'm recently back from Jamaica (90 miles from Cuba) and could recommend somewhere we got as a better deal to Cuba.