CT, is it the way forward?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by READYROB8405, Jan 9, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi GuyS

Ex LMA of 9 years service here, i left in Sept 2012 and i am currently studying 2nd year BA International relations degree, which is going well. However, i am becoming a bit threaders with some of the civil opportunities after my degree and wish to restart my military career in a better vein...Not looking at officer as I will be too old for warfare and Logs doesn't appeal to me.

I looked at CT before i left as i wanted to do something more Intel /current affairs based, but i was more concerned with sorting out my education. Also, spending most of my time with the RM i had no idea that CT actually existed!!

Key things i would like to know are:

• Career progression...is it still a technical branch?
    • Opportunities for land and sea deployments...equal or baised towards sea etc?
    • chances of SM Service ( i was an MA(SM) for my first two years before i went Green for 6) and i am not adverse to serving on boats again!.

And finally, information from career managers about my previous service and whether my LRCC for example, still stand or would i have to redo it etc. I am not fussed, but I would like to know if i have to have fun at the RN leadership school again!! :p

PM's would be ideal, as i would prefer to hear the gen from serving CT's.

Any grief will be well received as well! :)

I now await incoming !!
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ooh, a chance to give grief. Ta.

In case you weren't aware, there are Royal Marine Comms Techs too (no, not the Tels Techs, Comms Techs - same course as the RN ones) , if you're sold on the "green thing" and fancy a stint with 30 Cdo.

RN CTs serve on boats as well as floaty things - casting your mind back to the underwater world, they were those pasty-faced blokes who used to join just before you sailed & left just as you re-surfaced. They kinda "do their own thing really" rather than get drafted permanently to a specific boat.

It's still a technical branch and promotion likewise. LRCC, so far as I'm aware remains valid once passed.

T&Cs for rejoining will be outlined in the Approval to Process letter.

Standby for a plethora of answers from people with squirrel-themed avatars.
  3. Could you have done your educating whilst in the mob and branch changed?
    Just seems like a long winded way to go technical?
    Good job you asked for grief in recruiting, it should stay mainly crayon free
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hi N/S

Was curious about employment within RM as well…but not overly fussed as i get the impression CT is a very tri-service orientated role.

i would be looking at applying later this year for late 2015 or early 2016 entry…is this time frame reasonable or would it be longer, taking into account that i don't have to do Raleigh again!lol

What is involved with regard to the CT section interview as i am unsure of what would be required?

met a CT before i left and he told me a few very interesting things which made me consider it, but its been good to be outside for bit to get some perspective.

TVM for getting back to me N/S
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  5. Sumo

i could have, but it would have taken me 1-2 years to transfer from the MA branch and in that time i would be two years into my degree so kind of a no brainer for me really, plus i wanted out for a bit after my 2nd Herrick tour to focus on my education without the navy getting in the way.

Like the RN, I just needed a break :)
  6. Understand, but once you are a civy there is not garauntee they will take you back, anything could happen on who they do or do not want to recuit over the next few years? If it’s the mob you want then it just seems like a potentially high risk stratergy?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Appreciate that Sumo and i would like to come back in, but i am also aware of the risk of not being able to and i accept that.

I took a risk leaving the RN to satisfy an educational urge i have had for a while and don't regret it for one minute. Just really wanted to walk away from medicine and based on my experience with the MA world of getting no civilian quails, i reasoned that making myself educationally sound would be better than trying to transfer branch and again i have gained a lot from being at University.

just gonna roll the dice and see what happens, only 29 so plenty of time as cut off for CT is 35 and if i cannot return then i will move on.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Even though Raleigh may not need to be re-visited (apart from the APWT/Kit Issue & RNFT bits), CT courses are allocated primarily to new entrants who wait a couple of years to join.

For a part-trained re-entrant (ie: You) a baby CT has to either fail to join or complete phase one, for a place to "pop-up" on the phase two CT course. The next CT intake that I'm aware of, for example, is Oct 2014 (bear in mind it's only a small branch with few annual intakes) so you could drop lucky if a potential recruit, already allocated, "falls over" between then & now but it's impossible to second-gues how much notice you'd receive of an entry date.

I'd advise you to apply a year or two ahead of your targeted entry date - you can always turn-down a job offer if it crops up too soon, but you can't 100% rely on a job-offer coming-up early either.

Good luck.
  9. N/S

I will be waiting so i can time it to hopefully occur a few months after i have completed my degree, but as you say who can't tell?

Thanks for giving me an honest and frank reply, as you have confirmed what i believed may be the case and I now have a good idea of some of the pitfalls i may encounter

Cheers Oppo
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ReadyRob

It might be in your interests to check out the location and opening times for your nearest RN Careers Advisors and then turn up with any paperwork relating to your previous service for a chat with one of them. That way, you can plan ahead and will at least be "on the books". You could drop in this week/next week, before they get really busy.

You can find out where they are here:

Talk to us | Royal Navy

In the meantime, as Ninja says, squirrel types will no doubt be popping up on here over the next few days and will offer you further help.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. PS I hope that your plans work out as you are hoping, but it may be worth looking up the RNR in your area as well, just in case.
  12. Thanks Soleil

Plans have to work first!lol…TVM, Closest RNR to me is london and don't really want to attempt that route until i have tried rejoining.

Still not 100% as new career ideas keep popping up, but ATM feel about 70% that i will rejoin as the Mob opens the door to career paths which civilians will never know about!

all the best
  13. Good attitude good luck
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Thing to bear in mind is you can complete selection for re-entry then declare yourself "unavailable to join before dd/mm/yyyy" so that you're in the pipeline & good to go.

If something better pops-up, you can then give the mob a custard pie in the kisser and carry-on being a strawberry mivvi, you are under no obligation to join if accepted.

Other thing to bear in mind is the recruiting test for Ct is well above average. If you're still in education and fail at the first attempt, a re-sit is feasible in 6 months rather than the usual 12.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. It's the Rating job with the highest required RT score, IIRC.

16. Already had a look at the new RT booklet…my first one in 2003 was ok, but this time i will actually revise……Hopefully older and wiser!lol

will prob ask the local careers office to get me into the pipeline within the next few months then see what happens

thanks again guys
  17. RR

There's a Rum Ration psychometric test thread which might help you:

• Like Like x 1
  18. READYROB8405, I'm a CT and have been for .....years , drop me a PM with anything queries/burning issues you've got about the branch and I'll do my best to answer them, at present though I'm not in the training loop so may not be fully up to speed in that respect, I do however know people who are.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Ninja_Stoker

• Like Like x 1
  20. I'll echo Chaz's comments above but I am in the training pipeline and also will be willing to advise if you want to drop me a PM
    • Like Like x 1