CT equivalent on subs?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by masha35, Oct 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

is there one , directly i mean or is that role covered by CTs...? Is there a dedicated role for those serving only on subs that does the everyday equivalent work of CT.....appreciate its hush hush maybe...but cant do CT anymore cos waiting times make me too old by a couple of months by the time Raleigh beckons..........thanks in advance.

2. No equivalent, nearest is the PO CISSM but no where near the same if that makes sense.

Just as an aside they're called submarines or boats, never subs. Subs are when your oppo does your duty or lends you some dosh, in the states they're baguettes

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Same difference, involves dough & same shape. :lol:

Comms Techs can also expect to serve on boats & frequently do.

4. gotcha.....shame that cos i thought i may be able to replicate the CT role in some way but beneath sea rather than on it...........baguettes is amusing!! Its so annoying cos they never told me the waiting tmes tec and i was unaware until recently that going for CT would make me too old..esp by such a sall period of time too! Id be a bout 3/4 months over 37 rather than 36 .........and im in the process now, so its even more unfortunate at 35 yrs old. Maybe fate?!

5. Yes but not as ships company. Damm I`ll have to shoot you now :twisted:

Edited for crap spalling

6. Ninja_Stoker

Warfare Branch Communicator, or CIS in old money (- Radio Operator pre-decimalisation or Telegraphist when my Granddad was one) has a shorter waiting period but transition to CT in later life is by no means assured- even if the individual got a top-notch score in the Recruiting Test (the highest of all RN trades) & also has the required GCSE's.

Some individuals manage to get selected as CT, but very, very few & it would be somewhat irresponsible to suggest it as a viable career aspiration for those joining as CIS/WBC.

During the preceding 20 year window of opportunity to join as a CT for the average 36 year-old, the shortest waiting time I've witnessed was around 9 months, however so far as I'm aware there are not any designated CT(SM)'s as such as all CTs can be called upon to serve on boats at some stage, even the female one's sooner or later... :wink:

7. Yeah, ive been told that some people try to ov to ct from 'boats' and have been turfed out instead. I got the scores for ct, its just this damn 18 month wait thats screwed me up. I was , after weighing up ct vs aet eventualyl set on ct in my mind........then BANG.the bad news. I was abit gutted.........however there is nothing wrong with AEt.........just that the intel really started to appeal big time. My educational background and languages would make me a good candidate for Ct success......such a shame over the paltry 4 months too late thing...........typical!!

8. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, AET is a pretty good technical trade & considering the upper age limit was 32 until around 3 years ago, it's probably wise to count your blessings now that a second window of opportunity has arisen during the3 previous years in which you could have joined..

Best of luck.

9. agree stoker of the ninja kind. Things arent too easy out in the civvie job market at the moment and id be glad of a career/job and some money etc. Id also be very proud to serve, if that doesnt sound too corny! Though i may not feel so enthusiastic running around in the pissing rain witha rifle at raleigh. I think the navy will suit me. Whie its still ilitary it doesnt seem as pompous and up itself as the RAF thing does. I had a lot of dealings with them last yr and they just had this very over complicated manner about them ie. renaming the bloody sa-80 to blah blah blah. Even their test questions at same level as navy are real nut biusters......really annoying and pedantic.........its a mindset/culture thing. I may have a good education etc but im not a prenentious twat and dont like too mucgh swaggering and postering.

10. Ninja_Stoker

It's a case of horses for courses really.

The week before last I had an irate/disaffected trained AET in the AFCO demanding to transfer to the RAF as he was hacked-off because he wanted to go to Afghanistan with a junglie squadron but, horror of horrors, had been drafted to serve on a warship instead. Bless - who'd have thought it possible in the Navy, eh?

Needless to say he was courteously advised where to locate the word "sympathy" in the dictionary & "go forth" - even the RAF recruiters wet themselves.

11. ha ha..thats really funny. Wasnt the brightet button in the box....what didnt he understand about the concept of 'navy and 'landlocked country'.............yes, you get it everywhere. I have to say though that Ive had much easier dealings with the navy than RAf. They messed me about a lot, but maybe i was unlucky. I could go for intel with them, but somehow i feel in my gut it would be a wrong move, call it instinct. everyone has diff experiences and there are ******* eveywhere.......just life i spose. All the military do a good job and i like the slightly less pc approach to life. I know pc-ism has penetrated life in the forces but nowhere near as badly as in civvie st. I loath it. Then again, i was watching an episode of warship(i know i know) and the CO welcomed the marines on bulwark and announced that its the ship where hugs are for free!! For the love of christ,....what a thing to say......big jessy.lol. Cringeworthy stuff.........

12. Ninja_Stoker

Unfortunately some Commanding Officers, whilst maybe having a brain the size of a planet & being brilliant military tacticians, can indeed be bloody clueless & socially inept when a TV crew takes charge of their ship - check out what really happened with regard TV crews & their camera batteries, helicopters, boarding parties, hostages & freebie suits in Iran sometime. :wink:

13. Sez who?