CS95's

WarMonger

War Hero
sgtpepperband said:
WarMonger said:
trehorn said:
No's 4 are uncomfortable, in fact they're very uncomfortable, but they serve a purpose.
Try Comfort Pure....might help a little!.. :twisted:

Personally I feel most comfortable in my 4's as by and large it means I'm at sea or not doing SPO bollocks!
Ooh, check you! :oops: Whatever happened to scrubbing it with Pussers 'Ard?! :lol:
Hey dont take the piss...dont you know this is the pink fluffy navy now....irritation from uniform chaffing could be a serious issue on a long middle!!... :lol:

Captain_Jacks

Lantern Swinger
Lets start a campaign for everyone to wear square rig at all times

you know what they say all the nice girls love a sailor :twisted: :twisted:

even the officers

I used to have a girlfriend who wore my whitefronts in bed :wink:

wanderer

Midshipman
Just seen the latest version of "2-6" on DVD. Shows some of our folks on board HMS Kent. DVD RNR stars tell how they intergrated well with RN. Funny old thing, they stand out like a one legged man in an arse kicking contest. On the upper deck the RN wear desert CS95 and when below revert to 4's or 3's after 18:00!!! Our guys are in green CS95 all the time. How intergrated is that???

I'm about to deploy to an RN ship and I'll be taking some 4's and 3's along with my CS95 and I'll wear what ever is on daily orders!

sinbad

Lantern Swinger
wanderer said:
Just seen the latest version of "2-6" on DVD. Shows some of our folks on board HMS Kent. DVD RNR stars tell how they intergrated well with RN. Funny old thing, they stand out like a one legged man in an arse kicking contest. On the upper deck the RN wear desert CS95 and when below revert to 4's or 3's after 18:00!!! Our guys are in green CS95 all the time. How intergrated is that???

I'm about to deploy to an RN ship and I'll be taking some 4's and 3's along with my CS95 and I'll wear what ever is on daily orders!
good for u, remember one thing tho we usually don't get anywhere to stow our kit, so you'll be living out of the large bags you'll be taking along with ya. all three by the sounds of how much your takin. Got no 1's or 5's then?

trehorn

War Hero
I think its always worth taking a set of No4's and No3's with you.

You dont want to mess up your nice expensive combats bith battleship grey or whatever paint they use these days!

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
trehorn said:
I think its always worth taking a set of No4's and No3's with you.

You dont want to mess up your nice expensive combats bith battleship grey or whatever paint they use these days!
Also it's a matter of personal hygiene; do you really want to be going for scran or be chilling in the mess square, still wearing the same kit you've been in all day? :?

Captain_Jacks

Lantern Swinger
you can always draw ovies from the LSA and wear them

just be a stoker for a day.

I wore ovies most of the time on board ship. Pity it would have to be white ones now

Simmo

Midshipman
wanderer said:

I was one of those on the Kent, just because we wore greens, didn't mean that we didn't integrate.
The RN crew wore deserts, because that is all that they got issued, 1 set each! they didn't revert to a different rig at a certain time of day, if they were duty watch, regdless of whether they were on watch/off watch, their rig for their 24hr duty was their deserts.
The ship was in harbour routines, when the working day was over, it was dress down into civvies.
As for us RNR, we followed ships routines, we where not part of any of the ships departments, however we had a excellent PO with us, who made sure that we followed the ships routines with various bits of training, evolutions, and spending time with other members of the ships company, while they where undertaking their duties.
HMS Kent takes the role of SPO very seriously and almost everyday in harbour conducts a SPO excercise. While we were onboard even if we were not duty, we the RNR conducted the excercise with the on watch/off watch observing. The reason behind it, was that we could actually do the drills very proffessionally, and it was beneficial for the crew to watch us.
We weren't exempt from the ships evolutions either, store ship for example!
In our free time, we didn't hide away in a corner as a group of RNR's either, most of our time ashore was spent with the crew from kent, and that crew included us, I personally felt that I was part of that crew.
The feedback that we got was fantastic, not one person spoke down to us. The feedback from the CO was great and his feedback was based on the feedback, that went up from the lower decks.
My rant here, may have slightly veered away from the subject of CS95s, so going back to it, don't think that CS95s do anything to get in the way of integration, they don't. Act professionally, muck in, don't hide in a corner when not on duty, do as you're told, which also includes wearing the uniform that you're told to.
One last thing some of the upper deck sentries were Booties, who you would expect to wear Deserts.
Oh I saw some people on the ship where wearing overalls, they stood out like a sore thumb, you tell a mile off that they where Stokers.

tonrus

Midshipman
Simmo said:
wanderer said:

I was one of those on the Kent, just because we wore greens, didn't mean that we didn't integrate.
The RN crew wore deserts, because that is all that they got issued, 1 set each! they didn't revert to a different rig at a certain time of day, if they were duty watch, regdless of whether they were on watch/off watch, their rig for their 24hr duty was their deserts.
The ship was in harbour routines, when the working day was over, it was dress down into civvies.
As for us RNR, we followed ships routines, we where not part of any of the ships departments, however we had a excellent PO with us, who made sure that we followed the ships routines with various bits of training, evolutions, and spending time with other members of the ships company, while they where undertaking their duties.
HMS Kent takes the role of SPO very seriously and almost everyday in harbour conducts a SPO excercise. While we were onboard even if we were not duty, we the RNR conducted the excercise with the on watch/off watch observing. The reason behind it, was that we could actually do the drills very proffessionally, and it was beneficial for the crew to watch us.
We weren't exempt from the ships evolutions either, store ship for example!
In our free time, we didn't hide away in a corner as a group of RNR's either, most of our time ashore was spent with the crew from kent, and that crew included us, I personally felt that I was part of that crew.
The feedback that we got was fantastic, not one person spoke down to us. The feedback from the CO was great and his feedback was based on the feedback, that went up from the lower decks.
My rant here, may have slightly veered away from the subject of CS95s, so going back to it, don't think that CS95s do anything to get in the way of integration, they don't. Act professionally, muck in, don't hide in a corner when not on duty, do as you're told, which also includes wearing the uniform that you're told to.
One last thing some of the upper deck sentries were Booties, who you would expect to wear Deserts.
Oh I saw some people on the ship where wearing overalls, they stood out like a sore thumb, you tell a mile off that they where Stokers.
Did CS95's enhance your effectiveness? - Or would No4's have been just as good?

Simmo

Midshipman
No, they didn't enhance my effectiveness. I don't think 4s or CS95s in green were ideal out there.
Maybe the MOD boffins could come up with a refrigerated uniform, that would be nice.
All I'm saying is that I wear what I'm told to wear and it didn't affect our ability to integrate.

Old_Hand

Lantern Swinger
wave_dodger said:
Word on the street is that after a recent trial (didn't find out where), the RN is going to adopt a blue CS95 after all.
When we had the high level visitor to our unit, (see opening thread) he did mention that there was a problem in bringing in the blue CS95's but did not explain any further.

avoiding_action

Lantern Swinger
GCYZ said:
Having said that it is the most practical rig I have ever worn. Why not just make it in dark blue?
Last year they trialled just such a rig on Exeter amongst others I think? We nicknamed it Combat Sailor 05!

Very dark blue, almost black with a snazzy White Ensign in place of the Union Flag on one arm! Looked a bit like an SS Tank crewman though!

I believe it wasn't taken up as it needed a matelot proof web belt in blue to go with it! That and sorting the trouser bottoms out to look good with DMS and not BCH!

Another opportunity to improve kit and save money gone by the wayside! My CS95 green fleece makes my new Fouly jacket warm and toasty, we couldn't possibly die them blue and issue them! Lets design something else at huge expence instead!

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Simmo said:
No, they didn't enhance my effectiveness. I don't think 4s or CS95s in green were ideal out there.
Maybe the MOD boffins could come up with a refrigerated uniform, that would be nice.
All I'm saying is that I wear what I'm told to wear and it didn't affect our ability to integrate.
Surely the key here is in the last sentence - by and large the RNR are transient personnel, we join a ship individually, do our ORT and then disappear again; we're highly unlikely to ever be on board long enough to fully integrate into the ships company. Therefore, whether we wear the same rig or different rig is a moot point - we're not part of the ship's company and will be treated as such. Its down to the individuals to do their best to fit in, do their job to professional standards, invol;ve themselves in mess life and to not make complete fools of themselves and this requires much more than just a few bits of rig!

wanderer

Midshipman
One of the biggest probs is the unit contacting the ship before hand to see what rig, etc, they would want us to wear. I fully take on board the fact that you wore CS95 during your SPO duty, its just that on board RN ships there are designated rigs to wear at certain times of the night and day, whilst in harbour and at sea. To fully intergrate, surely you must agree that complying with general ships rig when not on duty is a good thing. Even if the rig is banyan or pirate!!!

By the way, I never said you didn't fulfill your role or you had bad reports so no need for the essay. We all know you did well shippers. :roll:

Your powers of observation seem to be top notch, I mean, to spot a stoker in ovvies and a bootneck in combats, next thing you know you'll be spotting pti's in tracksuits and chefs in check pants and white hats!!!

noemis

Lantern Swinger
wanderer said:
Your powers of observation seem to be top notch, I mean, to spot a stoker in ovvies and a bootneck in combats, next thing you know you'll be spotting pti's in tracksuits and chefs in check pants and white hats!!
Only shoot him if he's about to chop the blokes head off!