CS95's

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I know this is an RNR thread, but in the tradition of RR I'd like to comment.

I can't believe people are getting hot and bothered about the comfort of their uniform; yes, CS95 is a softer material than No. 4s Improved Action Working Dress, but for good reason; CS95 was not designed to be worn by personnel putting out fires.

No. 4s are designed for sea-going servicemen who, during the course of their normal duties, may have to put out fires at immediate notice. In accordance with H&S regulations the MOD - as an employer - are required to provide the correct PPE for it's employees accordingly, and that is why IAWD is impregnated with fire-retardant properties. If I had a choice between not burning to death and having itchy uniform, give me the mohair underpants now!

Please wear what rig is required in accordance with local orders, but to choose one over the other purely for aesthetic reasons is wrong. If you want a job with a comfortable uniform, become a 5-Star General and join McDonalds! :lol:

sinbad

Lantern Swinger
I worn green on my last operationl deployment at sea mainly because we all agreed to only take them before hand, no point carrying 1's 4's 5's ovies and C95's and it was accepted by the CO and the rest of the ships company- it certainly didn't stop us from doing our job plus we helped the buffer get ready for upper deck rounds and any thing else they required (no-one complained when we where closed up for SSD and stood out like asore thumbs) but when we helped out with dabbing it don't look so swell covered in grey paint!

sinbad

Lantern Swinger
Considering we where deployed solely as a SPO team as requested and with only SSRF duties whilst at sea C95's were worn because they were appropiate. It's unfeasible for RNR to carry vast amounts of clothing eveywhere they go, plus some of my shipmates have been charged for extra baggage by the airlines

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
sinbad said:
Considering we where deployed solely as a SPO team as requested and with only SSRF duties whilst at sea C95's were worn because they were appropiate. It's unfeasible for RNR to carry vast amounts of clothing eveywhere they go, plus some of my shipmates have been charged for extra baggage by the airlines
Happens to us too shipmate! We have to take our worldly possessions for the whole deployment in two bags. I was lucky the last time I flew to the Gulf as I 'blagged' an etra few kilos - but that was before the recent dramatic changes to the baggage allowances!

Mind you, you can save effort by posting some of your possessions via BFPO to yourself; costs about £10 to send yourself a 30kg box... :wink:

trehorn

War Hero
Chaps, i don't think anyone is honestly trying to say that No4's are not practical. Obviously t would be cheaper for the MOD to provide us with CS95's (possibly in blue) because of the amount of CS95 clothing already being made. No's 4 are uncomfortable, in fact they're very uncomfortable, but they serve a purpose. I'm sure if the MOD could save money by giving us blue 95's they would, but the fact is they just would not be suitable.

WarMonger

War Hero
trehorn said:
No's 4 are uncomfortable, in fact they're very uncomfortable, but they serve a purpose.
Try Comfort Pure....might help a little!.. :twisted:

Personally I feel most comfortable in my 4's as by and large it means I'm at sea or not doing SPO bollocks!

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
WarMonger said:
trehorn said:
No's 4 are uncomfortable, in fact they're very uncomfortable, but they serve a purpose.
Try Comfort Pure....might help a little!.. :twisted:

Personally I feel most comfortable in my 4's as by and large it means I'm at sea or not doing SPO bollocks!
Ooh, check you! :oops: Whatever happened to scrubbing it with Pussers 'Ard?! :lol:

Clearly I've been wearing pongo clothes for too long, I must due some leave!

My point is that 8s SHOULD be comfortable and practical. They seem to have been in the process of redesigning them since Nelson was a cabin boy.

When they produced the new trousers, they put belt loops on, with no belt on issue. They put cargo pockets on the side that don't expand, therefore take nothing bigger than your ID card (until you slice the stitching in the middle open).

Our green brethern seem to have mildly sensible people on the design team for the production of their kit. We on the other hand seem to have some members of the good ideas club who can't come to a decision.

We do have some great bits of kit; the seagoing jacket for one, and we do get some reasonable cost saving ideas like having one set of summer shirts for officers and ratings, great idea and seemed to happen quickly.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Reservist-Monkey said:
Clearly I've been wearing pongo clothes for too long, I must due some leave!

My point is that 8s SHOULD be comfortable and practical. They seem to have been in the process of redesigning them since Nelson was a cabin boy.

When they produced the new trousers, they put belt loops on, with no belt on issue. They put cargo pockets on the side that don't expand, therefore take nothing bigger than your ID card (until you slice the stitching in the middle open).

Our green brethern seem to have mildly sensible people on the design team for the production of their kit. We on the other hand seem to have some members of the good ideas club who can't come to a decision.

We do have some great bits of kit; the seagoing jacket for one, and we do get some reasonable cost saving ideas like having one set of summer shirts for officers and ratings, great idea and seemed to happen quickly.
Number 8s no longer - now No. 4 (Improved Action working Dress)

Pusser's nylon belt with clasp (also available for Tropical Uniform) can be obtained gratis from SLOPS.

GCYZ

Lantern Swinger
What I like about CS95 is the flexibility. It gets issued as a complete set. If its really cold you can wear a Tee Shirt, Norgie, Shirt, Fleece, Combat jacket & Gortex Jacket or variations according to the weather. With 4's you get a Shirt, woolly pully and Foulie(If you are lucky!).

Pusser missed a trick by not asking for a zip-in fleece for the new foulie as is standard in most civvie jackets of the same ilk. Blue norgies looked crap but under a 4's shirt in cold weather would be fine. (Yes thay said this can be done if you have one, but stopped issuing them.)

I am fully aware of the number change.

You are welcome to try drawing one from a reserve unit's stores. It'll give the LSA a laugh anyway.

M(R)

a little while ago our FAA squadron was tasked to wear the CS95 in dark blue and jolly comfy they were too. never forget the day that the civvy pilot on the Jetstream jolly flight somewhere thought we were Gernans as we. there were lightweight and heavyweight versions and got a thumbs up from the whole squdron - i guess thats why they binned them. previously we had to try out the effffffing stupid Billy and Johnny ovies and those god-awful norgie tops. what could be next american baseball caps - you may scoff but we where allowed to wear these when we visited American air bases. the US version of the RSM was not impressed with a selection of East 17ers on his turf.

REMEMBER - I'D RATHER HAVE A SISTER IN A WHOREHOUSE THAN A BROTHER ON 800 SQUADRON

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Word on the street is that after a recent trial (didn't find out where), the RN is going to adopt a blue CS95 after all.

really wave - will check out with powers that be tomorrow - naafi bint of course, she must know. a quid fifty for a hot dog FFS go on then

wave - when you say dont know where - do you mean you dont know where the trial took place or where the ino for reintro of CS95 came from. can tell you that 801 had it for 3 months.

clanky

War Hero
shag_shacker said:
a little while ago our FAA squadron was tasked to wear the CS95 in dark blue and jolly comfy they were too. never forget the day that the civvy pilot on the Jetstream jolly flight somewhere thought we were Gernans as we. there were lightweight and heavyweight versions and got a thumbs up from the whole squdron - i guess thats why they binned them. previously we had to try out the effffffing stupid Billy and Johnny ovies and those god-awful norgie tops. what could be next american baseball caps - you may scoff but we where allowed to wear these when we visited American air bases. the US version of the RSM was not impressed with a selection of East 17ers on his turf.

REMEMBER - I'D RATHER HAVE A SISTER IN A WHOREHOUSE THAN A BROTHER ON 800 SQUADRON
Was the trial in 2004?

Captain_Jacks

Lantern Swinger
Blue CS95's are coming some time

Trouble is that MOD purchased a lot of the green version. RNR loggies and GSSR are getting the older versions issued (see your unit for your free bag of goodies)

The New version is with the Army, then RAF then Navy ...... we are very bottom of the food chain so dont hold your breath for blue CS95's.

We are the senior service (but skint service) :(

I have always liked 8's (old [email protected]&er) but as i will never sail on a ship again being "Purple" and International, i have to wear CS95's

At least the wife used to fancy me in 8's, CS95's do nothing for her!! Bang goes my welcome home [email protected]%g

:?

i know what you mean - mine liked em as well, she absolutely hates the flight deck jersey and no how much i beg she wont wear as bedroom attire. also she has a soft spot for eau-de-toilette OM15 hydraulic oil

strange women these somerset birds

Captain_Jacks

Lantern Swinger
She still has the hankering for the Bell Bottoms... 8)

should we replace CS95's with the square rig again

and the old days of wrens and skirts :p

i think i need a cold shower :D