CS95's

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Old_Hand, Nov 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We had a visit from FOSNNI recently and he said that he was against the RNR wearing CS95's and that we should be wearing No 4's. If we take part in any RNR activity then that will be the case. The only exception at the moment would be if deployed by Fleet and they say CS95's should be worn or if individuals are deployed to regions of conflict. So if taking part at Bisley etc then its No 4's. Our unit has already taken it onboard. What do you think?.

2. The way the armed services are going we are more and more 'purple'.
    I wear CS95s in my current post and will be in my next. I don't have a problem with wearing them.

3. Ignore it until it comes down in black and white.

Things that come out of Flag Officers mouths that ever get acted upon are like trustworthy politicians.....few and far between....!! :twisted:

4. Treasure your blue rig while you still have the choice.

Not entirely on Thread but it reminds me about passing through a Sri Lankan security check point in Colombo. The SAC and his lads were in smart blue DPM. You could see them for bloody miles.

5. Typical attitude that. Most of the GSSR branch have been issued with a big black bag of kit costing around a grand, and then some gold braider decides he doesn't like us wearing it. WHAT THE FECK DID THEY ISSUE IT FOR THEN!!!!

Is that his personal opinion or is it real policy. Sorry, until I see it in black and white I'll carry on doing RF/DF training in greens. Besides, it fits me better.... :lol:

Tossers! I refer you to the RETENTION threads.

[walks off in huff]

6. I haven't worn 4's for about 5 years. I always wear Cs95s as they are comfy, practical and do the job. FOSNNI is clearly talking rubbish.
    I will wear CS95's and conveniently forget my 4's in future methinks!

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Read Daily Orders and do what it says next to "Rig of the Day"!!

8. Once again someones personal taste in rig causes ruptions. By the time it is raised officially and it goes through all the various committees, etc, he will have left the post and it will all be forgotten. I bet the Civil Servants who hold the purse strings will have something to say about it to! Until it comes out officially then I will wear my CS95 when it is required. I'm about to go operational and have been told not to even bother with 4's as the rig will be CS95 on board!!

If you can recall, the last 2nd S/Lord didn't like matelots wearing the new foulie jackets with the dayglo bits on bases so they bought and issued those wet weather coats without and issued them. Now they're re issuing the one's with the dayglo bits!!!!!!!!

I like all our rigs. Each one worn for different occasions and proudly so, so if you are in GSSR for example, then when weapon handling, etc the rig should be CS95 ( I'd like the Admiral to lay down on a soaking wet firing range in the pouring rain in just his 4's as Pusser will only give you foulies if you join a ship!!! At least in CS95 you get gortex).

9. Has this not got to do with when certain rig is worn. I am of the understanding that CS95 is worn when deployed (ORT or for real) or for specific training evolutions eg NAPWT etc. I have heard buzz's that in some units Logs and GSSR are wearing it on drill nights. Why? You don't see stokers at Sultan wearing Ovvies as their primary rig!

10. ours appear to, makes them feel like real men (and women) I guess

11. Having said that it is the most practical rig I have ever worn. Why not just make it in dark blue?

12. This is true in my unit.

13. We simply wear it when doing GSSR type evolutions (i.e. WHT, NAPWT, ABHT, RF & DF exercises. And on deployments of course. Which these days is quite a lot of drill nights. As SPB says, Daily Orders is what you should go by not what some short posting officer says.

14. Lets be honest: anything looks better than No.4s...

15. Dunkers, before you make public statements, I would suggest that you attend your RU and check your facts.

16. Agree. Make it in dark blue, and flame retardant.

However, the reason upper deck sentries wear green is to stand out and look hard.

17. It would make our life in logs a lot easier when away for training weekends, rather than taking 3's, 4's and CS95 with attendant foot and head gear for various evolutions. cut down by one (possibly 2) sets.
    last time I went away I swear I had more gear packed than when I went away for 2 weeks on exercise!
    In unit as already said go with daily dits

18. Aussies have their grey one-size fits all 'boiler suits' for all ship evolutions including their upper deck sentry duties - I suspect it is the musket that makes you look hard not whether you are in a fetching shade of green or blue or black or gold lame with matching accessories!

19. Having worn CS95 7 days a week for the last 5 months or so, I would agree that it is the most practical and comfortable rig in my wide collection of pusser's uniforms. Not so much hard as faded and worn!

However, wear CS95 in public and all a civvie sees is a pongo. Rig should be appropriate for the job in hand and perhaps CS95 is not the best for emphasising that we are the RNR?

On the subject of Aussie rig: their version of CS95 is a fetching collection of coloured splotches including very nice lilac bunny rabbits!

20. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

AKA camoflauge by Disney....

According to FOST, they've shitcanned the idea of CS95 'Battle Matelot'.