Crying during training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by 24681012, Apr 21, 2017.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In most of the documentaries I've seen about recruit training in all the services, recruits are sometimes crying. What is the view of this, is it seen as weakness or just an inevitable result when things are going badly? Accepted or disapproved of?

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Why do you ask?

3. It makes good TV and boosts their telly ratings.

• Like Like x 3
  4. No negative view or weakness as we're all in the same boat, if anything it makes us all stronger as fellow oppos and instructors gel together to help eachother when theyre down, things that usually cause people to cry are; homesickness, 1st 4 weeks are the hardest, stress builds up, new environment and the militarisation etc, it gets to some people and eventually it just lets loose. One of our lads had his wife questioning their marriage as they had gone from seeing each other everyday to not seeing them for weeks! They're good now tho, instructors helped them out.
    Ofc if people do mess about or get watnings sometimes the disappointment or act of getting warnings and scare some individuals or upset them.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I want to know if it is seen as a normal response, or if you get marked down for it.

6. The question is why do you want to know, what will you do with the opinions expressed on this thread.

Writing an article perchance?

7. No, much more personal reasons which I will not discuss, but shouldn't be too difficult to work out.

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

How is the Journo business nowadays?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. The concern here @24681012 is that you have only been a member since Monday and your question is being seen as dubious and interesting for a first post.

An off the cuff remark by a RR member about recruit crying for whatever reason could be used as 'A senior Naval source said.....'

• Like Like x 3
  10. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

People under traiming are going through an enormous physical, mental and psychological period of change unlike anything they will ever do again in their lives. Frankly if you dont find yourself feelig overwhelmed or pissed off or feeling threaders during training, then chances are you may not be human. Some people let off steam by crying - is it a problem - no, provided that you dont sit there in the classroom with tears rolling down your eyes at all times.

That said, crying during training is mandatory for chefs, usually when preparing onions.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I think there's been some good replies to the query. Sometimes initial training can be a bit emotional and generate tears of frustration or angst, self pity, loneliness, homesickness, relief, jubilation or laughter. Particularly laughter.

It's an emotional roller-coaster for most but I guess it depends also on the individual. If they repeatedly blub everytime someone shouts, then there are possibly underlying issues covering a wide range of potential triggers, some minor, some just attributed to growing-up, some more significant, some requiring medical intervention.

Is it an issue? Depends on the circumstances I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yes I understand your concerns. But no..... Nothing devious going on!

13. Thank you . The responses were helpful and reassuring and much appreciated.

14. I cried during basic, when someone knocked my pint over, then tears of joy when he replaced my nearly empty pint with a full one:) happy days

• Like Like x 5
  15. OMG! did you seek counselling at the time? It's good to know you've finally dealt with it even if you've not forgotten the event.

16. I use a pint pot with a no spill lid, can't take chances. The counselling went well after a few more pints all seemed to be a bit of a blurred, but always remember life's lesson, on a blank week, let some dim whit nock your nearly empty pint over, most can't stand to see grown men cry.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I cried when I joined HMS RALEIGH for basic training.
    It was probably due to the fact that the class that had
    just passed out were attacking my naked flesh in the
    showers with long handled scrubbing brushes and Vim.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. was you a crabby twat?

19. Sun dodger same thing:D

20. I'll have you know I used to wash at least, uuumm, whither I needed to or not

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1