Crunch Time!

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Honour_Courage_Respect, Apr 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is it, after two years of A levels im finally leaving college! I have now come to another junction but don't know which way to turn!
    I want to join the Royal Marines, im in no doubt about that but shuold i apply as an officer or not?? I knwo they're both equally difficult to get into!
    I cant decide, they both have pro's and cons!
    Any advice much appreciated!
    HCR

2. As one of an Officers tasks is to make decisions you've failed at the first hurdle.
    NZB

3. Do you have the prerequisite qualifications? Are you the outdoors type and are you generally fit and active? Could you live in an environment where you have little privacy, work long and ardeous hours possibly for days on end, and have to take and dish out orders in equal measure? Can you take responsible for yourself and for others?

It costs absolutely nothing to call into the careers office and have a chat. They'll give you a good appreciation of what the requirements are and you can take it from there.

Military life is not for everyone but one thing is for certain, there is no other lifestyle quite like it and even if you don't stay for the longterm you will gain confidence and a cando attitude which will never leave you.

SF

PS: If you can join as an Officer then do it.

4. Do officers get involved in the missions, etc as much?
    I don't just want to be dishing out orders, i want to be able to execute them also.
    HCR

5. HCR

(Doing my best to be in supportive mode)

Your concept of life in the Forces sounds like what you've seen in films. That is not necessarily a criticism, but if you are considering Officer entry then you need to be able to stand on your own two feet and put in some groundwork yourself. Lead by example and all that.

Nip down to your local AFCO and they will have a chat with you and give you relevant info. There's also loads of stuff on the RN website.

And yes, Officers get their hands dirty too.

AD

6. No, dear boy, of course not. They direct matters from their 5 Star Hotel's whilst sipping pink gin. Which is for officers only.

See here, this officer in Afgan relaxes with a coffee at the rear;

[​IMG]

Seriously, I suggest you watch 'Commando - On the Front Line', for a taste of what the young RM officers get up to, and how good they are. Take note of Berty Keer, and Orlando Rogers. The best officers in the World, and no mistake guv. :thumright:

7. This is it, after two years of A levels im finally leaving college! I have now come to another junction but don't know which way to turn!
    I want to join the Royal Marines, im in no doubt about that but shuold i apply as an officer or not?? I knwo they're both equally difficult to get into!

I know I'm a pedantic barsteward, but have a look through your posts. Two years of A levels. At least a week should have been spent learning to spell and when to capitalize and when not to. Eye no nephool kan spel, but that's poor for a potential officer.

Lead on pal! :rambo: