Crown Killick - any way to get married in PO rig?

N

Nippit

In addition, I believe there was a limited number of Branches whose CPO Instructor cadre wore two stars beneath their Branch lapel badges (Crown above)

Hazy on which branches but I seem to recall the CPO GI (RIP Granny), Chief RS Is and CPO RP I.

There might have been CPO PT Is with two stars, too. Any others?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Times change, as an LMEM(L) I had the two stars, as a POMEM(L) I had the crown above, once I'd done Mechs course there was no branch badge as we were aligned with tiffs and were called tiffs :(

grumpywurzel

Midshipman
If memory serves the Crown Killick (not heard the term used like that but hey ho), was (as others have said) a scale A Killick, ready in all respects for the higher rate (PO's Board, POQC, Leadership all completed) but just playing the points game. Luckily being an MEM(L) in a dry roster I didn't have to wait :).

As a crown killick I had:

Passed PQE for POAEM that's all that was required, at the time POLC was only necessary to become a confirmed CPO.

Later on you had to pass POLC or SRCC to become a PO, I was a PO 4 years before I did POLC.

Sumo

War Hero
I passed my PO's before Mechs, good job as we were the second course called Tiffs, due to cock up with my B13, writers bless them, I didn't get rated up until I started course, so never became a POREL, I became a PROBPOART. Or something close to that, no branch badge. Those that joined as killicks having not passed for PO stayed killicks.

N

Nippit

Times change, as an LMEM(L) I had the two stars, as a POMEM(L) I had the crown above, once I'd done Mechs course there was no branch badge as we were aligned with tiffs and were called tiffs :(
That's interesting. I was never quite sure what Mechanicians were although my father was a Chief Mechanician wearing the badge as shown for a few months before accepting promotion to Commissioned Mechanician--Something he said he would never do but WW2 persuaded him. He served as an Instructor throughout the war

Sumo

War Hero
That's interesting. I was never quite sure what Mechanicians were although my father was a Chief Mechanician wearing the badge as shown for a few months before accepting promotion to Commissioned Mechanician--Something he said he would never do but WW2 persuaded him. He served as an Instructor throughout the war
Tiffs for normal entry joined as Apprentices.

Mechanicians joined as Mechanics either mechanical or electrical and later in career do an apprenticeship, when on a ship the head of radio section could have been a Chief R Mech or a Chief REA supposedly at that stage of career they were the same just different routes to get there.

There have been permutations of both over the years but that is/was the basic difference.

N

Nippit

Tiffs for normal entry joined as Apprentices.

Mechanicians joined as Mechanics either mechanical or electrical and later in career do an apprenticeship, when on a ship the head of radio section could have been a Chief R Mech or a Chief REA supposedly at that stage of career they were the same just different routes to get there.

There have been permutations of both over the years but that is/was the basic difference.
Looked up their 1925 pay. After 6 years Chief Artificer 12/6 a day Chief Mechanician 11shillings a day.

Topstop

War Hero
All branches used to have that as far as I can remember.
On Turbs there was a V old Chief PRI. (You didnt see many) definitely one possibly two stars below.
And in Dolphin (behind the Post Office) there was a Mine Defence Instructor 1974. first time I had seen the badge, before it was standard on baby Sailors.

Back in the days of "Promised Men"

Crown Killick simply means you have passed your PO Career course (regardless of Leadership training)
and are still a LH and waiting (for what ever reason) to be promoted

source - we have one working for us in our department. No biggy.

SP you knew all about it, just not by that name, or it slipped out of your old gray cells as info no longer required
It probably originated during the days of sail, this being why such as your good self are able to identify with it....:)

arcticfox042

Lantern Swinger
It used to be a person who had completed PO Leadership Course (senior command course) and professional Qualifying Course (branch specific PO course). Whether that still applies I'm not sure but as stated above, unless rated PO, you cannot wear the uniform unfortunately.
Got to stick to dress regulations............................

Seadog

War Hero
I see Commodore Kyd will be ranked 'Captain' and be laced as such whilst he's Commanding Officer of QNLZ.

I hope arcticfox042 has given approval for this piece of inverse waltism.