Crown Killick - any way to get married in PO rig?

N

Nippit

I don't think anyone was doubting you Nippit, we were talking about the crown over the branch badge and when it was worn, as opposed to two stars (one above, one below).
I'm sure you weren't and thank you . My interest was in locating the AFO that insisted that substantive rates had to be met by non-substantive rates. Equal promotion on both arms. The Seaman Branch had CPO's who had advanced with their seamanship but who could still be seaman gunner instead of Gunnery Instructor rate or similar. Chief Petty Officers of the Seaman Branch at one stage needed no non-substantive rate. They wore two killick's anchors on their jacket collar instead of non-sub badges. I remember my father telling me about it so I imagine it was pre WW1 or thereabouts. I'd be most interested to read the AFO if I could find it with help from my children or grandchildren. They are very skilled at that sort of things as are most youngsters these days
[

slim

War Hero
Lets throw another spanner in!!

Why do PTI's and Chockhead Chiefs (only ones I know about) have a Star below and a Crown above?
All B13 CPOs used to wear the star below the crown when they had been a CPO for three years as they then became Scale A CPO. Think they may have also recieved a slight increment in pay.

I left in 1970 but am still skin.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder....Bet your f*kin dogs....Life does that to you...:), :). Don't be over keen to black cat! As we shuffle along the Burma Way or Iron Deck towards when we hand in our station card for that final run ashore...even blue card holders...;). :)

Last edited:
All B13 CPOs used to wear the star below the crown when they had been a CPO for three years as they then became Scale A CPO. Think they may have also recieved a slight increment in pay.
In addition, I believe there was a limited number of Branches whose CPO Instructor cadre wore two stars beneath their Branch lapel badges (Crown above)

Hazy on which branches but I seem to recall the CPO GI (RIP Granny), Chief RS Is and CPO RP I.

There might have been CPO PT Is with two stars, too. Any others?

Sumo

War Hero
In addition, I believe there was a limited number of Branches whose CPO Instructor cadre wore two stars beneath their Branch lapel badges (Crown above)

Hazy on which branches but I seem to recall the CPO GI (RIP Granny), Chief RS Is and CPO RP I.

There might have been CPO PT Is with two stars, too. Any others?
Bob see post 58 sort of holds to that, but some really old branch badges on that link

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Juliet Davenport OBE appointed to The Crown Estate Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crown Nominee Account 2019-20 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Robin Budenberg, CBE re-appointed as Chair of The Crown Estate Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Zayed: 18 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman: 15 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, UAE: 6 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cameras to broadcast from the Crown Court for first time MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to The Crown Estate Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman: 17 September 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Mohammed bin Zayed bin Sultan al-Nahyan: 9 August 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Crime news: further drive to boost accurate electronic Crown Court claims MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Chair of the York Crown Nominations Commission: 25 April 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New Crown Commercial Service website MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Crime news: workshops to improve accuracy of Crown Court claims MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Paula Hay-Plumb re-appointed to The Crown Estate Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman: 30 November 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK agrees new customs arrangements with the Crown Dependencies MoD News 0
soleil Forces News: "Crown Prince Of Bahrain Congratulates Newly Commissioned Officer Cadets" Bases / Shore Est 5
MoD_RSS Press release: Visit of Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia concludes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia's visit, March 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Visit of Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia to usher in new era in bilateral relations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi: 23 February 2017 MoD News 0
tiddlyoggy Is Jimbo after Sol's crown? Diamond Lil's 0
A Transition to British Crown Dependency Miscellaneous 0
finknottle That's the last jewel in the crown gone then. Current Affairs 19
finknottle The last jewel in the crown. Current Affairs 40
bigbaddog Crown Colony Class Cruisers History 2
PartTimePongo HSE issues crown censures to Ministry of Defence Current Affairs 1
A Armed Forces may lose Crown Immunity Current Affairs 3
S Half Crown - Sixpence Current Affairs 1
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp QGM for Killick Diver The Fleet 1
F Mick Jagger to marry killick wren ? Diamond Lil's 16
trelawney126 MOD seeks Killick Reg/ Fleet Joss for Iraq The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 5
soleil HMS Somerset: CINCFLEET'S Commendation For Brave Killick The Fleet 3
C ex killick needs more help Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 21
C ex killick stoker Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
P I don't give a **** for the killick of the watch Diamond Lil's 9
C killick stokers The Quarterdeck 8
R Life after Killick's course The Fleet Air Arm 4
R Not paying for accommodation on base if married ? Finance & Pensions 7
R Married quarters Joining the Royal Navy 5
apipanippa Married Quarters Faslane Bases / Shore Est 6
B Dartmouth Married Quarters History 9
N Joining while married to a Russian Joining the Royal Navy 19
D Cost of married housing Finance & Pensions 2
D Buying a house or married quarters? Finance & Pensions 3
J Married Quarters - Help??? Bases / Shore Est 2
E Married quarters at Rowner? UPO 2
E Married quarters in Rowner Bases / Shore Est 0
Hooly whats the best married quarter area in Pompey/Fareham /Gosport Nearest & Dearest 21