Crown Killick - any way to get married in PO rig?

N

Nippit

I don't think anyone was doubting you Nippit, we were talking about the crown over the branch badge and when it was worn, as opposed to two stars (one above, one below).
I'm sure you weren't and thank you . My interest was in locating the AFO that insisted that substantive rates had to be met by non-substantive rates. Equal promotion on both arms. The Seaman Branch had CPO's who had advanced with their seamanship but who could still be seaman gunner instead of Gunnery Instructor rate or similar. Chief Petty Officers of the Seaman Branch at one stage needed no non-substantive rate. They wore two killick's anchors on their jacket collar instead of non-sub badges. I remember my father telling me about it so I imagine it was pre WW1 or thereabouts. I'd be most interested to read the AFO if I could find it with help from my children or grandchildren. They are very skilled at that sort of things as are most youngsters these days
[

slim

War Hero
Lets throw another spanner in!!

Why do PTI's and Chockhead Chiefs (only ones I know about) have a Star below and a Crown above?
All B13 CPOs used to wear the star below the crown when they had been a CPO for three years as they then became Scale A CPO. Think they may have also recieved a slight increment in pay.

I left in 1970 but am still skin.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder....Bet your f*kin dogs....Life does that to you...:), :). Don't be over keen to black cat! As we shuffle along the Burma Way or Iron Deck towards when we hand in our station card for that final run ashore...even blue card holders...;). :)

Last edited:
All B13 CPOs used to wear the star below the crown when they had been a CPO for three years as they then became Scale A CPO. Think they may have also recieved a slight increment in pay.
In addition, I believe there was a limited number of Branches whose CPO Instructor cadre wore two stars beneath their Branch lapel badges (Crown above)

Hazy on which branches but I seem to recall the CPO GI (RIP Granny), Chief RS Is and CPO RP I.

There might have been CPO PT Is with two stars, too. Any others?

Sumo

War Hero
In addition, I believe there was a limited number of Branches whose CPO Instructor cadre wore two stars beneath their Branch lapel badges (Crown above)

Hazy on which branches but I seem to recall the CPO GI (RIP Granny), Chief RS Is and CPO RP I.

There might have been CPO PT Is with two stars, too. Any others?
Bob see post 58 sort of holds to that, but some really old branch badges on that link