crossing thwe line

we are crossing the line next week and though there are a few of us who have done it several times we were just wondering if there is a set or laid down routine to follow.

All I remember is being dragged out the ops room by the police dumped in front of Neptune read my crimes being treated by the doc and the barber and then dumped in the pool of watery stuff by the bears.

:D

4to8 said:
tommo said:
I still hvae my certificate for it lol
Mee too. me Mammy,god rest her soul,put it in a frame with me Dad's and me uncles.
Mine is with all my qualification and training certificates. As it always made good conversation in job interviews lol

Health and safety? Neptune wipes his arse on NEBOSH certificates.
Racism? Neptune will take none of your sh1t, be you Honky, Sambo or Chogi.
Bullying? Don't make Neptune smash your back doors in with his two wheeled porridge cannon. Or force you to play freckles with his bears.

Neptune laughs in the face of such Trivia. :cheers:

Montigny_La_Palisse said:
Health and safety? Neptune wipes his arse on NEBOSH certificates.
Racism? Neptune will take none of your sh1t, be you Honky, Sambo or Chogi.
Bullying? Don't make Neptune smash your back doors in with his two wheeled porridge cannon. Or force you to play freckles with his bears.

Neptune laughs in the face of such Trivia. :cheers:
PMSL :D :D

Joint_Force_Harrier said:
Surely this tradition is against some sort of Health and Safety, bullying or racism laws?
If you believe Wiki, the ceremony could get pretty rough in times of yore:

...In the 19th century and earlier, the line-crossing ceremony was quite a brutal event, often involving beating "pollywogs" with boards and wet ropes and sometimes throwing the victims over the side of the ship, dragging the pollywog in the surf from the stern. In more than one instance, sailors were reported to have been killed while participating in a crossing the line ceremony.[citation needed]

As late as World War II, the line crossing ceremony was still rather rough and involved activities such as the "Devil's Tongue" which would be an electrified piece of metal poked into the sides of those deemed pollywogs. Beatings were often still common, usually with wet firehoses, and several World War II Navy deck logs speak of sailors visiting sickbay after crossing the line.[citation needed]

Efforts to curtail the line crossing ceremony did not begin until the 1980s, when several reports of blatant hazing began to circulate regarding the line crossing ceremony and at least one death was attributed to abuse while crossing the line...
I'd say "Don't let the bears get you" but there's really no escape on board a ship in the middle of the oggin!

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Here's how it's done:

1956:(One of the bears became a vice admiral)

1964:(The Chief GI and the RPO level up the score)

1967:(In goes the Jimmy)

A certificate of crossed before may not save you!

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Re the middle one of my pics, the Boatswain, cunning bar steward that he was (remember the dit?) hid in the red CRBFD and so escaped .. and so also Pilot who relieved the OOW on the bridge, thereby becoming irreplaceable, so that the latter could 'take part' ..

Surely this barbarous practice is not still taking place ? In 1996 the forces of PC, outraged at a video some sad bastard had leaked to the media of a crossing the line ceremony on board one of HMA submarines, manged to have the whole thing turned int a travesty of its former self.

I understand that now the Bears knock respectfully at the mess hatch and beg the indulgence of the scrofulous vermin (sorry, the potential initiates) and request their attendance at HM Court. Should the initate deign to attend he/she is offered tea and biscuits and polite conversation, being awarded an eco-friendly, gender neutral certificate phrased in non threatening language.

Mate, leaving all that PC bullshit aside, I hope your ceremony is as much fun as mine was.

The_Jimmy said:
Jack77 and Didnt the media dine out on that one!
Yes, they did. I joined the boat in question about 6 months after the events, but it had never rated a mention until about 12 months afterwards when some little bastard trying to work his ticket out of the SM Squadron sent his home movies to the press.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L History 12
golden_rivet History 7
Y The Corps 16