crossing thwe line

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by yorkie-s, Jan 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. we are crossing the line next week and though there are a few of us who have done it several times we were just wondering if there is a set or laid down routine to follow.

2. All I remember is being dragged out the ops room by the police dumped in front of Neptune read my crimes being treated by the doc and the barber and then dumped in the pool of watery stuff by the bears.

:D

3. Not forgetting the best bit, the bears going mess by mess for a MASSIVE punch up. Crossing the line, the single greatest Naval tradition.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I still hvae my certificate for it lol

5. Surely this tradition is against some sort of Health and Safety, bullying or racism laws?

6. Yup!! In true naval tradition. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Neptune spits at H & S nazis!!!!! :lol:

7. Mee too. me Mammy,god rest her soul,put it in a frame with me Dad's and me uncles.

8. Mine is with all my qualification and training certificates. As it always made good conversation in job interviews lol

9. Mines A3 and won't fit in my PDR!!

10. Mine was A4 lol

11. Health and safety? Neptune wipes his arse on NEBOSH certificates.
    Racism? Neptune will take none of your sh1t, be you Honky, Sambo or Chogi.
    Bullying? Don't make Neptune smash your back doors in with his two wheeled porridge cannon. Or force you to play freckles with his bears.

Neptune laughs in the face of such Trivia. :cheers:

12. PMSL :D :D

13. If you believe Wiki, the ceremony could get pretty rough in times of yore:

I'd say "Don't let the bears get you" but there's really no escape on board a ship in the middle of the oggin!

14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Here's how it's done:

1956:(One of the bears became a vice admiral)
    [​IMG]

1964:(The Chief GI and the RPO level up the score)

[​IMG]

1967:(In goes the Jimmy)

[​IMG]

A certificate of crossed before may not save you!

15. And before, I've seen people claim "sick" to try and get out of it.

Poofs.

16. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Re the middle one of my pics, the Boatswain, cunning bar steward that he was (remember the dit?) hid in the red CRBFD and so escaped .. and so also Pilot who relieved the OOW on the bridge, thereby becoming irreplaceable, so that the latter could 'take part' ..

17. Surely this barbarous practice is not still taking place ? In 1996 the forces of PC, outraged at a video some sad bastard had leaked to the media of a crossing the line ceremony on board one of HMA submarines, manged to have the whole thing turned int a travesty of its former self.

I understand that now the Bears knock respectfully at the mess hatch and beg the indulgence of the scrofulous vermin (sorry, the potential initiates) and request their attendance at HM Court. Should the initate deign to attend he/she is offered tea and biscuits and polite conversation, being awarded an eco-friendly, gender neutral certificate phrased in non threatening language.

Mate, leaving all that PC bullshit aside, I hope your ceremony is as much fun as mine was.

18. Jack77 and Didnt the media dine out on that one!

Some cruise ships still do it but not as good as the puss

Enjoy your crossing :twisted:

19. Yes, they did. I joined the boat in question about 6 months after the events, but it had never rated a mention until about 12 months afterwards when some little bastard trying to work his ticket out of the SM Squadron sent his home movies to the press.