Crossing The Bar

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by Rumrat, Jan 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When you are younger and attend the funerals of the older generation, most do not linger on the thought of it being your turn one day.
    When you start attending the funerals of your own circle, it is brought home to you just how vunerable we really are.

To day I went to the funeral of my Brother in Law/ friend.
    We had known each other since we were kids (14 me and 17 him). I remember being at Wembley with him in '66 watching us win the World cup, and him throwing up later that night in Cornwall where we had gone to celebrate, an oggie full of maggots.
    When I joined up at 15, he immediatly tried to join as well but was refused due to education.
    He joined the RR fusilers instead, educated himself whilst in and ended up with a BA.
    He suffered heart failure (survived) whilst serving and was invalided out.
    He married my sister in 1967 when he was 19 and they had a great life and two friggin great big sons, one of which is at present in the Stan with the the REME and the other in a place with squirrels.
    He was a great bloke and at 63 was still plenty young enough to have been around with us for a few more years.
    Rest in Peace Eric my old mucker and hope that wherever you are now there is plenty of Pusser's blue label, a slight habit I may have dragged him into.

Next thursday we will be saying goodbye to my friend and neighbour of 25 years as he crossed the bar on Christmas eve. He was an ex submariner and I sure am going to miss the crack with him, nobody handy to remind me how inadequate the surface fleet realy is and me constantly discribing to him what a bathroom looked like, and telling him what place soap had in the Navy.
    So Robo I get to drink all the pusser's myself this year, and as I am assured even stokers
    get to go somewhere decent on the other side I hope they have it there oppo. Robo MEM 2 Sub, catch you on the Christmas tree shipers. RIP.

No spell checker, upset so if the spelling sh1te don't give a monkeys left testicle.

2. RumRat

I'm really sorry to read that these two people to whom you were close have passed away recently.

Have a hug from me and be sure to pour yourself a tot or two this evening. xx

3. Sorry to hear it mate. Hope you and family are keeping well.

4. Thanks Sol, I really am feeling down at the mo, still you got to be alive to feel blue.=-(=-(

5. Cheers shippers I just think I am going to sit down with me old pal blue label and get rat arse harry shitters.

6. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

******* hell mate, sorry to hear that. Wishing you well.

7. :thumbup:..........................................................................

8. Commiserations and condolences Steve,

I know exactly how you are feeling. My best friend, MWJ, left us recently and I was asked to eulogise. Being both YMs Offshore we sailed together for many years (training,expeds, Offshore racing, Cowes week, inc. the Fastnet) so I included this recitation:

John Masefield Sea Fever

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
    And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
    And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
    And a gray mist on the sea's face, and a gray dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
    Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
    And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
    And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
    To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;
    And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
    And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

Whilst I gave it my very best shot it really choked me, and still does when I recall it.

Mike could be a really grumpy old sod but we shared a lot of danger and had some FUN together as I was able to bring out his lighter side. I almost included this ‘pome’, too, but I left it out as some of his family would never have shared the same OD’s sense of humour as those of us of the blue suit.

Spike Milligan‘s version of Sea Fever

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky;
    I left my shoes and socks there - I wonder if they're dry?

Steve, just dwell on the happier times and I’ll join you later tonight with a wee dram for both him and your recently-absent friends. MWJ W***** et al, RIP

Bob

PS

Partly remembered and just re-discovered at: Funeral Poems, Famous Funeral Poems, Verses for Eulogies, Funerals, Memorial Services This may help with the perspective, too.

There is a season for everything,
    A time for every occupation under heaven;
    A time for giving birth, a time for dying;
    A time for planting, a time for uprooting what has been planted.
    A time for killing, a time for healing;
    A time for tears a time for laughter;
    A time for mourning, a time for dancing.
    A time for throwing stones away, a time for gathering them up;
    A time for embracing, as time to refrain from embracing
    A time for searching, a time for losing;
    A time for keeping, a time for throwing away.
    A time for reaping, a time for sowing;
    A time for keeping silent, a time for speaking.
    As time for loving, a time for hating,
    A time for war, a time for peace.

Ecclesiastics 3:1-8

9. Rumrat, May the love of those around you help you through the days ahead, and may happy memories bring you comfort at such a sad time as this.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

You have my sincere condolences.

SP. x

10. Sorry to hear of your double loss Rummers, first tot's on me if you get to Guzz this year.

Don't dwell on what could have been, celebrate what has been.

11. My thougths are with you. Crematorium today for Topstop Snr. A mates fathers Wed and a lass I went to school withs mother and a client of mine next Friday. Not a good time for many. Got a rum in my right hand and typing with my left. Hope the pain deminishes and their memories stay.

12. Sorry to hear of your sad news, none of us have enough friends and the loss of just one is one too many.
    Try to think of all the good times you had togther and don't dwell too long on any bad times.

13. Thinking of you Steve, (and raising a glass of Pusser's). Will be in touch.
    Pete.

14. Sorry for your downer RR. I'v had a year like that myself, so know what your going through. This life is very tranisent, and were all going through it together. Death is ahead of us all.Its just another stage of the journey. When we feel sad at the loss of a loved one, i think we are really feeling sorry for our sadness, and loneness at losing a friend. Think of your mates, and where they are now. And i think you have some very good ones here.Have a few tots now, and remember them from time to time. 'Ar dheis De go raibh a anam' to your pals.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  15. Thanks to you all for your words of comfort. Despite appearing an unsympathetic, uncaring troll most of the time in threads, I really do have a soft side.
    As was said in this thread you never have too many friends, and I really am going to miss both these buggers who have trapped off and shot through on me. Yes I am feeling sorry for myself, as if nothing else, I've always been a loyal oppo, and thus my oppos are all like brothers and sisters to me. Boy am I going to miss them. Now I'll dry my eyes and try to move on as I did when my folks died many many years ago.
    Thanks again folks.:thumbup:

16. What he said. Remember what Rocky Bellboa said " You gotta dig deep to go that extra round" our best wishes Jesse and Lesley.

17. Selected just for you, having seen Bob's Bible quote.

18. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

6 months ago I lost my best mate. We joined on the same day. Some 60 years later I can be a little irrevent about thim. He picked up his first hook before me, he made PO before me, he even got his buttons before me and now ..........??I miss him.
    Remember the good times mate.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  19. condolences shippers. All the best from myself and my family