Cross Forces

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by nosga, Jun 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know if its possible to transfer between the forces ( e.g. Navy to RAF) at the equivalent rank?? Just a friend of mine was going on about how the Royals can do it but normal people can't; so I thought I'd find out the truth of it.
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Are you implying that Royals Marines aren't 'normal'?! 8O :wink:
  3. Are you implying that they are?
  4. sgtpepperband

Oh I know they're not, but I only know that from experience... it's just that I hate people who've not worked with them to make the same assumption! :lol:
  5. A mate of mine transfered from the RN to the RAF although it was in the 80's if I remember correctly, so it can be done.
    I done know about the equality of rate or rank though.
    People also transfer to the SF from the various branches don't they!
    Hope that helps.
  6. My oppo transfered to the RAF in the 70's because he had glutton disorder and they could sort out his diet whereas the RN couldnt for some reason.
  7. Is that Royals as in Royal Marine or Royal Family??

I do know Prince Charles is a Colonel for most things these days including the RSPCA.
  8. As with everything it depends on requirement and transferable skills. There have been a handful of Army Air Corps sergeants transfer to POAET over recent months for example.
  9. The best example I know of is a CPOEA(Air) who enlisted in the AAC rose to a Major then retired and was then employed by the RAF retiring as a Squadron Leader.
  10. While at Collingwood on Killicks course, the Part 2s came from Raleigh on a Saturday. I was Duty Killick when the new class arrived. The class leader was an ex Crab steward who fancied a change, so he put in to change services.

He was a 3 Badgeman!
  11. Aren't booties ALL super-human then? o_O
  12. I am, for my various obviously huge sins, currently working Tri Service, and in the last 3 years or so have witnessed various ranks and rates of the two lesser services changing over to each other. They all kept their ranks as well, providing they were not 'Acting' ranks.
  13. sgtpepperband

Sorry JB, I don't believe you...

You said you are "working"? :oops: :thumright:
  14. You were able to transfer services back I the 70's. Knew a lad who transfered from the RAF to Army, same trade on the grounds there was no promotion prospects in the RAF. Trade was Armourer.
  15. Cross-Forces.... Is that anything to do with Cross-Dressers (Stand fast Booties!) ;)
  16. I suspect that there is more transfers between services than before.
    I know a few bods who transferred in the '60's and 70's [including myself] but we all had to revert to the lowest rank. I was promoted an hour after signing on and before I had an official number! Further promotion was quick. One mate could not pass his killicks course but transferred and became a WO class 1 in the Royal Sigs. Not sure what that says about the Army!!!!!!!
  17. We like to think so. RSMs certainly have God like status. Omnipotence is a scary thing in the hands of a Royal.
    As for retaining rank, unlikely. Had a guy in my Training Troop who was a Leading Hand Stoker (Saw the light and liked it) and he reverted to Recruit then Marine. Though chances for promotion may be enhanced by previous experience.
  18. Would transfer to the RAF but could not take the drop in sense of humour!!!