Criminal Past...

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Janner71, Jun 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all :)

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask my question, although I did google it initially and got a lot of conflicting answers.....maybe best to ask you lot as you'll more than likely know the answer - so here goes:

Over 13 years ago I got sentenced to 4years (less one day) for possession with intent to supply. I served 2 years. Since release, I have not re-offended and as it's now been over 10 years since the original offence, my record is now "spent" - apparently this means that I should no longer be classed as someone with a record and have proven myself to be rehabilitated......but does this also apply to the RFA? According the the Royal Navy, you can apply if your conviction is spent, so I'd assume its the same for the RFA.

I'm actually ex-RN too, although that doesn't mean much I don't suppose?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to throwm my way =)

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

PM Ninja Stoker He works in the AFCO office

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Under current leglistation a sentence (not time served) in excess of 30 months is never considered spent.

Possession with intent to supply (trafficking) is a permanent bar to entry into the Royal Navy & RFA.

On a positive note, the weather forecast picks-up toward the weekend.

• Like Like x 11
  4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Janner71 wrote
    Insofar as it means that you should have known better, it means a lot.

As to how attractive it means that you are to the RFA, conviction notwithstanding, not a lot.

5. Thanks all for your advice, well, the parts of it that were informative. I'll disregard the offensive and flippant remarks that some have made.

6. Ninja_Stoker

To get four years, it wasn't just a couple of spliffs buddy, whichever way you look at it.

7. You get 4 years for trafficking half a ton of weed and turning Queens evidence on the rest of the gang. Or did in 89.

8. OK - you can close this thread now. My personal business will stay my own, I only wanted advice and it seems this was maybe the wrong place to ask for it.

9. Permission to come on ... Where am I?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Before you flounce off without pausing to pay heed, you may care to browse the soon to be introduced Legal Aid, Sentencing & Punishment of Offenders Act 2012, Chapter 8, which will supersede the current Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, amended 2001 and 2008.

The new act, expected to be introduced in November 2013 (ish) significantly alters the parameters with regard rehabilitation. Specifically, what may be of interest is the changes with regard custodial sentences of up to 48 months, rather than 30 months: Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012

Whether this alters the service policy with regard drugs trafficking remains to be seen, but who knows? Stranger things happen at sea.

• Like Like x 2
  11. You were seriously a matelot? And you didn't think this enquiry, on an open forum, would attract some flack? How long were you in??

Can't take a laugh . . .

• Like Like x 2
  12. I didn't flounce, I promise :grin:

Thanks for that, I didn't know it existed. I'm pretty sure the service policy will remain unchanged and although I am loathe to say it, I do agree that it's a sensible policy and understand the need for it to be in place. I guess I'm just frustrated at myself for the REALLY bad decisions I made 13 years ago and as some of you have said, yeh, I do need to lighten up a bit. Sorry for being a moody twat. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ninja_Stoker

In the event the service do not change the rules, and again, nothing would surprise me on that score, all I'd suggest is that other career opportunities, currently "unobtainable" due to the 30 month rule, may soon change & open-up for you.

On a personal note, I do empathise with those convicted and unable to get themselves back on the "straight and narrow" because of previous errors of judgement and apologies certainly aren't expected, nor required.

With regard flouncing, it's allowed nowadays in the RN (as well as it always was in the RFA), but not yet compulsory.

• Like Like x 2