Crime children 'under court age'

I hate to say this but on the BBC news and sky this morning a Univ Prof is stating the age of criminal responsibility should be raised to 18 yrs and no-one under that age should be put inside. Time to pack your bags.

Sensible slapping gets a child's attention and commands either respect or an acknowledgement of authority. Reward or denial of rewards and privileges is fine if time is no object and we want to create a pink fluffy world. The argument that slapping fosters bullies and legitimises violence may be true to some extent but secondary effects can be monitored and corrected. Perhaps without that exposure, a child is ill-prepared for the big bad world.

As regards age; if they're old enough for a shag, they're old enough for the slammer. Yet more bloody social engineering.

The usual word is touch me and I will sue

Uni Profs!! Not of this world I am afraid the world of ZOD.

We have the young girl missing abroad yet we still see hip high youngsters strolling the streets at 2300hrs. For those not knowing. The big finger is on twelve and the little finger is on eleven.

At a friends house this week talking things his twelve year old son chirped up I AM A LAGER MAN MYSELF Beam me up Scotty!!

That's just stupid, if they can smoke, drive and have sex by the age of sixteen they can bloody well be resposinble for their own actions. Lets be honest, most of us know the difference between right and wrong from a much younger age.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
That's why the age of criminal responsibility and liability is 10 years old... however:

On Thursday 23rd September the Liberal Democrat conference will debate a motion which calls for the raising of the age of criminal responsibility to 12 in line with a recommendation made last year by the Joint Committee on Human Rights.

The motion on Punishment and Rehabilitation of Offenders also calls for those under the age of 14 who commit crime to be dealt with through the education and social services systems.

The age of criminal responsibility in the UK is the lowest in the European Union. Responsibility begins at 10 in England, Wales and Northern Ireland In Scotland responsibility begins at 8. This was the age of criminal responsibility in England and Wales, it having been raised from 7 in 1932 until the age was raised again south of the border by the CYPA 1963.
At common law there used to be a rebuttable presumption that a child aged not less than 10 but under 14 years was doli incapax i.e. incapable of committing a crime. This was abolished by Section 34 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 which, effectively, puts children over the age of 10 on an equal footing with adults so far as criminal liability is concerned.

In October 2002 the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child published its Concluding Observations on the UK Government’s compliance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child (the UNCRC), and was particularly concerned that the age at which children enter the criminal justice system is low. The UN Committee recommended that the UK raise the age of criminal responsibility 'considerably'.

In response to the UN evaluation of the UK's compliance the Joint Committee on Human Rights issued its report on 24th June 2003. It believed that the case for the UK being so out of line with prevailing practice in Europe was 'difficult to understand or defend' and recommended that the Government review the effects of the low age of criminal responsibility on children and on crime.

The Joint Committee stated:
"The criminalisation of young children has to be justified by very convincing evidence—it is not sufficient to assert that it is the best, or the only, way of diverting them from a future life of crime. Unless evidence of the effectiveness of the present age of criminal responsibility in reducing crime and disorder can be presented, and can be shown to be convincing, we conclude that to bring it more in line with our European neighbours would meet both the requirements of effective criminal justice and our duty under the UNCRC to uphold children’s human rights."
[Source]

Well I suppose dealing with 14 and unders through the education system isn't unreasonable, most kids that age have the chance to turn themselves aorund before its too late, depending on the seriousness of the crime anyway.