Crimbo Cheer for Service Personnel

Discussion in 'Charity' started by Naval_Gazer, Dec 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some of us 'bl00dy matelot' intruders to ARRSE have been involved with this campaign to save some service personnel and their families from a dismal Christmas and provide a few comforts for those being treated at Selly Oak. It's now grown like Topsy. Do have a look and bring your salt-stained, moth-filled wallets with you.

2. This campaign was started two days ago by an ARRSE Moderator called 'minister_doh_nut' to provide sufficient funds to prevent a disabled serviceman (limb lost in action) and his family from being homeless over Christmas. It was not intended to replace established Service charities but to provide an instant fix to solve an urgent problem. The initial requirement on Sunday 9 Dec was for £1,750 to pay for a bond and rent in advance for a flat. Within 36 hours, around £6k had been donated by ARRSE members.

Although the original need has been satisfied, this campaign has grown to include support for other Service people and their families in similar circumstances over Christmas. It has also spread to include the supply of iPods, used laptops, computer game machines, games and videos etc., for injured personnel being treated at Selly Oak and elsewhere. There are also plans afoot to lay the foundation for something more long term. An embryo website has been set up (today!) at www.HelpThemOut.co.uk showing methods of payment but this will be developed to contain more details. The rest is up to you.

I read somewhere recently that a huge proportion of the homeless in London comprise ex-service people. This shouldn't be allowed in our country and, if we have anything to do with it, it won't be.

3. Thanks - I'll do something.

Now, this is going to be difficult to say without sounding like a twat, but wouldn't there be any benefit in tying up with HelpOurHeroes. They seem to have similar aims

4. I think you may mean Help for Heroes? Like many others, I've contributed to this too and suspect some tie-up may happen once the dust has settled. One of the ARRSE campaign organisers is visiting Selly Oak today to coordinate matters and find out their specific needs. In the meantime, this campaign seems to have captured the imagination of ARRSE members and is harnessing a spontaneous groundswell of generosity for the benefit of less fortunate Service people and their families this Christmas and possibly thereafter. I'm sure it's complementary to all the other charity work going on so let's ride it while it lasts.

5. Sorry Naval - you're right. It's a mistake i keep making :(

And I'm ...er...hanging ten :headbang:

6. It would be useful if any dark blue contributing to the ARRSE campaign also sticks a one-liner in this thread. We don't want the Pongoes having it all their own way, do we?

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

As requested NG, I've sent something via PayPal

8. Too true. My sister worked with homeless people in the 1990s and met many ex-servicemen who'd fallen on hard times. Most had joined as boys and, having no experience of living outside the forces as adults, couldn't cope when they left. It's very easy though. Just remember Rincey's recollections of what happened to him when he left the Army.

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Coughed up a few days ago. :salut:

10. Here is the latest sitrep by minister_doh_nut on the relevant ARRSE thread:

Okay, so where's the RN input to all of this then? Not very prominent by the look of this thread. This campaign will end up benefitting ALL service personnel so let's get behind it. Make your contributions via the payment options on www.HelpThemOut.co.uk. Every little helps.

11. Latest sitrep on this worthy 'instant fix' Christmas campaign from minister_doh_nut on the relevant ARRSE thread. Note that the third case is an ex-Bootie.

Over £7k raised since last Sunday. Make your contributions via the payment options on www.HelpThemOut.co.uk. Every little helps.