Crew bids farewell to HMS Chatham

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MoD_RSS, Feb 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. But how many times since she was launched, has she fired any of her expensive weaponry in anger?

3. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Chatham was the last ship of the RN to offer NGS; in the Gulf War.

4. In my view we have the threat of force with the aim of never having to use it - it is a bit late if you need it but don't have it.

She also supported troops in Sierra Leone (earning the DSC for her CO at the time) and in 1993 she 'captured' the embargo breaker Lido II attempting to get into Montenegro. (Wikipedia refers, and I know because I was the OOW).

She also oversaw the hand back of Hong Kong and assisted in the Tsunami relief effort. Perhaps the last 2 may nor have needed expensive weapons, but the former certainly did, even if they didn't have to be fired on those occasions - are you suggesting we have warships with cheap weapons? or perhaps none at all?

I for one was sad to see her decommissioning ceremony last week.

HMS Chatham (F87) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. tiddlyoggy

6. Yes it is. A batch 1, 2 batch 2s and 2 batch 3s for me. I may be the Jonah though as was in BRAVE when she was chopped and now get to go through it again.

7. How many times have you used the airbags in your car? If "never" then you probably should get rid of them.

8. I vote that he does.

9. tiddlyoggy

Then we have served together shipmate. I too decommisioned the good ship Brave.

10. I may just be a "simple reservist" and therefore only have limited experience of the ships i have had the opportunity to serve on but i must admit that my two weeks on the CHATHAM were two of the best weeks of my RNR career. The crew were the friendliest most helpful bunch of lads and lasses i have ever had the fortune to meet. They made every effort to include my collegues and me during our time on board both ashore and at sea.

Thats my two penith for what it's worth. A very sad time. Made worse by the fact that tomorrow our affiliated ship HMS ARK ROYAL exercises the freedom of the city of Leeds for the last time.

11. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Your old English teacher will be doing cartwheels with that starting of a sentence with a conjunction.

Anyway, by your twisted way of thinking any ship launched should fire her weapons in anger to prove her worth. Good one clown, any chance we can tag this **** from one of the lower forces as a troll after a bite?

12. 17 fire missions and 155 4.5 shells onto Al Faw alone.

Throbber.

13. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There you have it. Monty makes Cunteenfloat look like a complete tool. I love this site.

14. It is common amongst authors and professional writers to start sentences with a conjunction. My English Master would have applauded.
    But ending sentences with prepositions that is something up with which I will not put.
    If the clown might reply. Firing in anger of expensive sophisticated weaponery . Nothing to do with proving her worth. She would have achieved that as a conventional, and much cheaper, warship.

15. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I really couldn't give a monkey's fist if you or anyone else starts a sentence with but or and. I just knew you wouldn't be able to resist the urge to reply. And as predicted the grammer nazi nibbled like a spaz and double glazing.

"BINGO"

Anyway, your English Master. Are you sure he was applauding you and not cracking a sly one out over your shoulder as he checked your spelling of ******?

You already have, or have you went senile between sentences. Its nice to see you accept your award/title/tag.

Of course your absolutely right, as usual. Why should the police have stab proof vests when its against the law to carry knives? Surely these knife wielding thugs would be better using their fists.