Credit Checks

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Davem1379, Sep 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, ive bin given date for start but my security check has come back to me due to a bad credit history. I've never bin excellent with money matters and have 2 ccj's in my name one paid the other needs paying ( £250). Plus ive various other bills outstanding due to me being made redundant at the beginning of year. (total of outstandings bills £1000. Will this stop me getting in the RN?? What do i need to do?? Cant pay the bill till i have a job and the only job i want at the moment is the RN which i was meant to be starting beginning of Feb??

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"Our survey says... X

[​IMG]

3. You could become a traffic warden - CCJs don't count with them, you just have to be a barsteward.

4. If you get in I hope nobody loans you money, will take a ccj to get paid back.

5. I would hope that until you show some ability to manage your finances better that they postpone your entry. Perhaps you should chat to the CAB about getting help in managing your debts and finances. Showing a genuine willingness to deal with the problem rather than keep putting it od waiting for better weather may help but I suspect the some one like NS will give you chapter and verse. As things stand as a DO I would be very wary of some one in your position joining my division.

6. Dave M,

You will not be allowed to enter until you have cleared your CCJ's. Outstanding CCJ's means no security clearance, therefore, no entry date should be given.

The other money owed is not normally a problem provided that your monthly repayments are not more than 50 per cent of your take home pay on joining the RN.

Talk to your own careers advisor for advice on the best ways to clear your debts and get the entry you want.

Best of luck

SM

:)

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Unfortunately if you are not granted security clearance, you cannot join.

You need to adddress your unresolved debts, contact your creditors & mutualy agree a repayment plan. Once you have been making repayment without default you may ask for a letter of satisfaction from the creditor.

Best of luck.

Edit: Damn, pipped at the post by SM :wink:

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Naturally, a communicator will beat a stoker every time in a typing competition (and in many other fields) :roll:

9. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, first off the 'gangway' when leave's piped, first in the scran queue...

10. Mmmm - seems they have more common dog as well.

11. Right then. i'll get the ccj paid off soon as possible then, all the other debts are getting paid but at a slower rate than wanted due to me not having a job. Then hopefully all will be well.. Thanks to all good advice given .. Also thanks for the witty remarks they really helped. i'm 30 and all i owe in the world is £1250 due to me being made redundant, i bet there's alot more people who owe alot more money in the navy right now.

12. Ninja_Stoker

You're almost certainly correct.

Problem is you have to join without unresolved CCJs. They don't necessarily have to be fully paid-off, just constructively & continuously repaid.

Those who accrue a history of financial irresponsibility whilst serving can be discharged, so it's not all one-sided.

Best of luck to you.

13. Thanks Ninja for advice, i'm in process of paying ccj off now so hopefully my 7th Feb start date will be alright.. Fingers crossed. The other debt is being paid off with monthly outgoing of around £150, so that should be within the acceptable boundaries..

14. Get yourself over to a website called moneysavingexpert.com. Its run by Martin Lewis and is an excellent site for all things financial.

There will be people on there who will suggest ways of you clearing this debt, which is do-able by February.

15. Cheers for advice but they are in control be be honest, i'm paying off the CCJ and the other bills are in managable monthly repayments. Its only £1000 which in this day and age isnt alot be in debt. It only happened due to me losing my job and jobseekers allowance doesnt cover the bills.